Retired by 50 story

I'm sure the same approach will work today has it has for many many people over time. As it was said "nothing changes but the actors"

By the way the Joe Dominguez' book is what got me started as well although I was never as succesful (or motivated) as the people in the story I didn't ER until 52.

Wow, a journalist that actually gets it!

The only point the article doesn't address is what these folks are doing for healthcare. This ER stuff would be a lot simpler if that weren't an issue...

The only point the article doesn't address is what these folks are doing for healthcare. This ER stuff would be a lot simpler if that weren't an issue...

The couple with 3 young kids to raise may have some tough decisions with health care, or they may get lucky. Our daughter never had any health problems to speak of, our son had cerebal palsy diagnosed at age 8.

I certainly don't have a problem with someone "w*rking in their retirement, but it appears some of the folks mentioned in the articles need the income to make their ER plan work. Call me old fashioned, but I consider that situation to be semi-retirement - not retirement as implied by the article's title. Again, nothing wrong with what these folks are doing.

I have w*rked a few times because it was something I wanted to do. And, yes, I took the money. But the income wasn't needed for my retirement plan. So talking about retiring at (fill in the blank) age could be misleading if the retiree still needs earned income - just my opinion. YMMV as always.

The Bolon's lifestyle may be the typical retirement lifestyle in the future. They may or may not be able to LBYM without income from part time w*rk, but the part time income sure helps to smooth out the bumps in bad economic times. Part time income allows the semi-retiree to shelter some of their nest egg until the market recovers. Its also becoming a lot easier and more acceptable to w*rk remotely. If you like what you're doing and the terms by which you do it, why not?

I certainly don't have a problem with someone "w*rking in their retirement, but it appears some of the folks mentioned in the articles need the income to make their ER plan work. Call me old fashioned, but I consider that situation to be semi-retirement - not retirement as implied by the article's title. Again, nothing wrong with what these folks are doing.
Yeah, that bothered me too-- I couldn't tell if I was supposed to be sharing their joy at their success or appreciating the magazine's marketing while clicking on their website's ads.

It'd help the website (and the author's credibility) it if specified what it was doing with the money...

Some of them are a little on the extreme to me... I'd rather work longer than live in a van, pick fruit to can preserves, making beans & rice & powdered milk the main component of my diet, etc.

Back
Top Bottom