Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-29-2014, 10:57 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
For those reporting policy price tag staying the same or lower, did your copays for Dr/ER/Hospitals and RXs and deductibles also stay the same?
All of my health & dental coverages, co-pays, and deductibles have stayed the same.

One thing that did change, was that my former employer offered optional vision care, separate from our health & dental coverage. The cost for the coverage is only $7.50 per month. I went earlier this month for an eye exam and new spectacles. Total bill was $427 dollars, of which the vision plan paid $160, leaving me with only $267 to cough up! So after paying a $90 premium for the coverage for a year, I was still $70 ahead! That's not a lot of money, but a 16% discount is enough to make sense to me!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2014, 10:58 AM   #22

We received notification that DH's costs will increase from $432/month to ? due to high claims (we'll find out at meetings in early Nov.). This is for the 2 of us and represents a 20% employee contribution for health care costs. Additionally, we pay a $30 co-pay for office visits and 20% for all other to a family deductible of $6K which we are close to maxing out due to my cataract surgery and DH health issues. Good health as you get older is not cheap!
TrvlBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:40 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
For those reporting policy price tag staying the same or lower, did your copays for Dr/ER/Hospitals and RXs and deductibles also stay the same?
All mine (copay, coinsurance, catastrophic limit) basically stayed the same. The copay for visiting Urgent Care went down and I think hospital admission went from 150 a day to 200, payable for the first 5 days.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Kaufmanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:46 PM   #24

Why is it that so many MegaCorps offer continued health care and dental care coverage post retirement and even vision care coverage at reasonable premiums but my physician MegaCorp does not? My dad had coverage with a premium of about $150/month. I have to go to open market or ACA for coverage until Medicare age? Shame on you MediCorp. It's just wrong...
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:04 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

COBRA just for me as spouse formerly on DH's retiree health plan (he moved to MEdicare last year so no more subsidy from his employer) is $926 a month, with a $400 deductible and oop in-network max of $2400--every one of my docs is in network. I will check a comparable ACA policy next month but Medicare starts for me this summer so I may let it ride.

Last year before DH went on Medicare, the cost was $850 for both of us. I thought that was bad....
Old 10-29-2014, 02:13 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Medical premium went up 15%, vision and dental unchanged for a total of $314 a month for two people. Coverage, deductible, and max-out-of pocket did not change.
That sounds like a very good plan. Does it include prescription drugs?

I have MC, dw won't be eligible for another 2 years so we have kind of a blended rate. It's costly at $1K per month, $250/$500 deductible, covers prescriptions at 80%. We'll probably switch when she receives MC. So far they have given no hassles. HSA account depleted this year -- wish I had funded one sooner.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:31 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
......... I have to go to open market or ACA for coverage until Medicare age? Shame on you MediCorp. It's just wrong...
They probably can't afford it. Have you ever seen what it cost for a hospital stay these days?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:32 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

I have Medicare Part B, which I think is remaining the same. I also have my federal retiree health insurance, secondary to Medicare, and that has gone up a reasonable 3.65%.

All in all, I'm happy - - the 1.7% COLA increases on my SS and tiny pension more than cover this.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:37 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Why is it that so many MegaCorps offer continued health care and dental care coverage post retirement and even vision care coverage at reasonable premiums but my physician MegaCorp does not? My dad had coverage with a premium of about $150/month. I have to go to open market or ACA for coverage until Medicare age? Shame on you MediCorp. It's just wrong...
Obviously they do not want you to retire pre 65.

Most of our doctors work for a hospital megacorp and have told me the same thing--they would have been killed by the cost of the HI offered to retirees (four years ago it was $25k for a married couple). I am sure ACA helped many make an early retirement decision.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #30

Ours is going up on the order of $20/month but is heavily subsidized by my former employer. On the plus side(?) in the spring I'll be 65 and the premium will go down by more than the cost of Medicare for a net gain of about $50/month.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:17 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

My partially subsidized health insurance from megacorp went up almost 13% this year ($775 to $987/month). But it went up 0% the year before, so I cant complain much. Well, I could, but no one would listen . The accompanying letter talked about a smaller pool of insured, as well as higher claims, rising health costs, etc, etc.

I plan on a 7% increase every year, so I seem to be on track.

Dental insurance went up $1/month.
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:41 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_by_the_Bay View Post
That sounds like a very good plan. Does it include prescription drugs?

I have MC, dw won't be eligible for another 2 years so we have kind of a blended rate. It's costly at $1K per month, $250/$500 deductible, covers prescriptions at 80%. We'll probably switch when she receives MC. So far they have given no hassles. HSA account depleted this year -- wish I had funded one sooner.
Yes it does.

It seems like each October I hold my breath when enrollment time comes around. Not so much regarding premium increases, but the fact we will have insurance for the next year. We should receive retiree benefits for the rest of our lives, but sometimes promises are broken.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:44 PM   #33

My retiree health insurance premiums from Megacorp are changing.

They are splitting the retirees out of a group with the active employees so that the retiree premiums will be based solely on the claims experience of the retirees with subsidized premiums.

They kindly decided to phase in the premium increases over 4 years.

Next year's premium is going up by 17.6%. Our portion of the premiums for a high deductible plan for me, wife and two children is going from $363/month to $427/month in 2015.

It is still a bargain compared to ACA premiums.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:07 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
After thinking about it, I wonder if it is due to small size of the retiree pool.

Megacorp has 3 groups of employees: Those who receive subsidized retiree coverage, those who receive unsubsized retiree coverage and those who receive no retiree coverage.

As time goes on, there are fewer and fewer people in groups 1 and 2. As they go onto Medicare and there dependents either go on Medicare (spouses) or grow up and get their own coverage (children), the retirees eligible for retiree coverage gets to be a smaller and smaller group.

Also, it is hard to imagine anyone paying for the unsubsidized retiree coverage. The unsubsidized cost for 2015 would be $1341 a month for a retiree and children. That is probably pretty comparable to ACA exchange costs -- if not more -- and there is a chance there of a subsidy (if eligible).

So, I imagine for a lot of people the unsubsidized coverage is no longer attractive. For just a retiree (no spouse) the unsubsidized cost is $745 a month.

So - as time goes on - I think the people with unsubsidized coverage are going elsewhere. And, all employees with retiree coverage are getting to be a smaller group due to people aging out of coverage. So, any large claims will have a huge impact on premiums given the small size of the group.

Megacorp said that they realized that the cost increases are not sustainable and they are looking into what to do about it. In the letter, they say are going to look into private exchanges so as to have a larger insured pool. So, that suggests to me that my explanation for the huge increases is probably correct -- small size of shrinking pool.

I just got a notice from a previous Megacorp, saying that I can no longer defer my subsidized retiree medical coverage. If I don't sign up now, the option is gone for good. There are 3 groups like Katsmeow. I think they are doing this for the same reason cited above by Katsmeow - a shrinking pool of people. I am currently using COBRA from a different employer, but will switch to old Megacorp to lock this in. Subsidy is not a lot, but the coverage is better than I can get from ACA (no out of network coverage available in New York state).
Likes_to_Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:19 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
No increase for Medicare (<$105) or Tricare for life ($0) for us in 2015.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #36

Just got my retiree annual enrollment info from Megacorp. Monthly premium for me alone (DW still working) is $127/mo, which is unchanged from 2014. All deductibles, coinsurance, and OoP max were unchanged as well. This is BCBS, pre-medicare, HSA-eligible HDHP, with $1.5K deductible and $3.0K OoP max. The co-insurance is 10%/20%. Based on other posts in this thread, I feel pretty lucky to have this option.

I could add DW to this plan for $530/mo when she retires. That number is right between her less-generous, employer-subsidized silver and gold plans for pre-medicare retirees. So, we'll have some analysis to do when she finally retirees. But either way, it looks like we'll be around $600-650/mo for both of us, in plans with very reasonable deductibles, copays, and OoP maximums. I'm quite sure I could get that down below $500 for catastrophic type coverage. But I'll need to model various spending scenarios to see if that's actually cheaper.

We also decided to drop dental coverage this year. The premiums alone were slightly more than the gross cost for routine check-ups. Plus we paid 20% copays. So, our total cost will be around 25% lower for routine care, and we'll use those ongoing savings to self-insure against the occasional crown, or whatever else the future might hold.

All in all, we're still on track for medical cost in retirement that I budgeted at $9-10K/yr. I just hope my 6% medical inflation estimate holds up.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:54 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

As retirees we were pleasantly surprised when we received our open enrollment packet from DH's megacorp. Our premiums dropped about $80/mo. (Kaiser HMO). There was no change in coverage, out-of-pocket deductibles, or co-pays.

2013: $648.44/mo.
2014: $710.98/mo.
2014: $629.63/mo.

Geez, in January it will feel like we got "a raise"!!
misty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:51 PM   #38

Today in the mail I received the annual health/dental insurance update info from my former employer. My premium for 2015 increased by 4.05%. All coverages, deductibles, and co-pays remain the same.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I still have coverage as a retiree thru my MegaCorps self-insured plan. I think my premiums are increasing about 10% next year and coverage's are staying about the same.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:40 PM   #40

Supplemental coverage for DW and I via Megacorp went to $442/mo, up from $384/mo. So, an additional $58/mo - Looks like a 15% increase, about in line with increases over the last few years.