Join Early Retirement Today

Retiree Inflation Rate?
Old 05-13-2004, 05:55 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Retiree Inflation Rate?

I am 58 and planning to retire in a few months. *I am trying to project future income needs, based on my current budget, then increasing it in future years an assumed inflation rate.

I have very few items in my budget that aren't subject to inflation (for example, no mortgage). *18% of it is for health care cost (premium, deductible, co-pays.) which will rise at a higher than average inflation rate.

What percent inflation factor do you think I should use when I project future inflation-adjusted income needs? * I am thinking that 5% is realistic. *But because 5% inflation increases my income needs so rapidly over the years, it makes a huge difference in my projection of whether I can retire safely. * I have used FIRECALC but I think it uses a general inflation rate (CPI or PPI as I recall), not a "retiree rate", which might be higher.

Is 5% about right? * What inflation factor do you folks use?
mccl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Reitree Inflation Rate?
Old 05-13-2004, 06:08 AM   #2

If we have 5% inflation over a long period you good people will be deprived of my witty and insightful
commentary. I will have to sell the computer and have my phone line disconnected

John Galt
Old 05-13-2004, 06:17 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

5% average inflation would wipe out a lot of retirees. Don't forget the CPI figure does include medical. I think medical inflation has been rising about 12%. What I did was project inflation on my expenditures ex-medical by 3 1/2% and did my medical costs separately at 13%. Also, I projected my SS to rise only at the CPI minus 1% based on what Greenspan has been spouting.
oldcrowcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 06:47 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A bout of 5% plus inflation in the future is not unreasonable - then 'aggresively frugal' and increased dryer sheet recyling will become necessary.

Even though my portfolio performance in the 1968 - 1982 period was flat and trailed inflation, I kept DCA and found ways to cut expenses. Now after eleven years in ER, if inflation comes roaring back, I will find ways to cut. As the late Bear Bryant(football) said - stay 'agile, mobile and hostile'.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 07:51 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
A bout of 5% plus inflation in the future is not unreasonable
It doesn't look like we'll have to wait very long for such a bout. CPI increase in Feb was 0.5%, Mar 0.6%. PPI data just came out today -- an increase of 0.7% last month. We're on track for annual inflation (a la CPI) over 6%, and we all know the CPI can underestimate our personal inflation rate.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote