Join Early Retirement Today

Retiree Medical - ouch?
Old 06-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Retiree Medical - ouch?

I'm at least a few years away from ER, but I was looking at the retiree medical coverage offered by my employer and it sure looks expensive. I'm sure you guys are going to say "duh" but I'll ask anyway if it seems in line with what you're paying. FYI, I'm almost 53 and would like to ER at 55.

The cheapest of their 3 plans is the High Deductible Plan. I would be eligible for 80% subsidy, but even then it would cost me (plus wife and 2 kids) $774/month or $9,288/yr in premiums. Right now while I'm still employed, we only pay $93/month for the same type of plan.

So my med premiums in retirement would go up by $8,000/yr. Ouch. So much for ER....
bulbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2014, 01:23 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Welcome to the real world of early retirement. Have a seat, your health insurer will be along to rob you shortly.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1458813
Old 06-12-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds about right. Cost where I am for a Bronze high deductible, HSA eligible plan for myself, DW, and a college age student is $1277 a month.

No more cross-age employer group risk pools, employer subsidies, etc.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Paquette, I think. I should have mentioned I am in Houston Texas
Old 06-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulbar View Post
I'm at least a few years away from ER, but I was looking at the retiree medical coverage offered by my employer and it sure looks expensive. I'm sure you guys are going to say "duh" but I'll ask anyway if it seems in line with what you're paying. FYI, I'm almost 53 and would like to ER at 55.

The cheapest of their 3 plans is the High Deductible Plan. I would be eligible for 80% subsidy, but even then it would cost me (plus wife and 2 kids) $774/month or $9,288/yr in premiums. Right now while I'm still employed, we only pay $93/month for the same type of plan.

So my med premiums in retirement would go up by $8,000/yr. Ouch. So much for ER....
Are you sure that the plan is 80% subsidized by your company? That means the premium for such a plan is $3870/month. That is very high....
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:56 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

You would have to ride whatever you choose for 10 more years then be qualified for Medicare and all the trappings. You will pay almost as much on Medicare then with a good supplemental policy. What I am saying is that it will not get less expensive after you retire.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:59 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Corporateburn - yeah, that's at 80% subsidy.
aja8888 - wow, I thought medicare might be cheaper
Old 06-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Welcome to the real world of early retirement. Have a seat, your health insurer will be along to rob you shortly.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1458813
Must respectfully disagree. Reality is high HI premiums are due to high overall HC costs. Insurers are sometimes a PITA, but they are generally among the lowest profit margin businesses in the US with typical margins from 2-5%.
Health insurer profits not as fat as Dems claim - politics - Health care reform | NBC News
Health Insurance Profits: Not Worth the Outrage? - ABC News
Compare that with typical profit margins of 15-20+% for Big Pharma and 12+% for medical device makers.
Ezra Klein - Health-insurance industry: Still not that profitable
And as we all know, the huge $$$$ we in US spend on drugs, devices, etc. buys us no better outcomes than other developed countries.
With Health Care Costs, the U.S. Is a Huge Outlier | Brookings Institution

Ever rising costs are a problem worldwide, and interestingly US is not among global leaders in HC inflation. Seems other nations are starting to close the HC spending gap.
Middle East, Africa lead rising global health care costs for 2014: Survey | Business Insurance
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:33 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We are on subsidized retiree insurance from the company DH retired from. He is actually on Medicare so we are paying for coverage for me and kids. It started out fully subsidized but the company absorbs only 5% of price increases per year. Last year there was a huge increase. We are paying $780 a month. I did look at ACA policies and not being eligible for subsidies there, it was cheaper to keep the retiree coverage.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:33 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

$9,288/yr in premiums for 4 people sounds good to me. DH and I pay over $12K/yr for the 2 of us, with no employer subsidy. We are retired, pre-Medicare age, and not eligible for Obamacare.
ocdokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:34 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Corporateburn - yeah, that's at 80% subsidy.
aja8888 - wow, I thought medicare might be cheaper
Medicare is not free and you will need additional coverage to cover what Medicare does not cover. Typically, the best way to go is a "Medigap" policy that can cost up to $200+ per month per person on Medicare. An alternative is a Medicare Advantage choice but that type of coverage, although cheaper, has a lot of limitations and varies in availability and quality across the country.

Then a drug plan (Part D) which pays a part of your drug costs for around $30/month per person. This is nowhere near as good as a drug plan under an employer coverage policy.

Between Medicare, Medigap, and Part D, our cost per person (DW and I) is near $4K per year each. But we have the best coverage.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #12

Quote:

\

You're fortunate that you even have the option for retiree healthcare. Go to your states ACA site and see what their options are.

I'm not counting on any ACA subsidies and am budgeting 27k annually for HC (premium plus out of pocket maximum) for 2. Feel better now ?
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #13

Check healthcare.gov for your official alternatives. You may qualify for a subsidy if you are living off already-taxed investments and keeping your income low.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Retiree Medical - ouch?
Old 06-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Retiree Medical - ouch?

We pay over $7000 annually for our family of five and this is a benefit...I am still working! I believe the company pays at least that (probably more). Granted, we have very good coverage but still have deductibles to meet every year. My employer IS my health insurance company btw. We are actually non-profit. Health care costs are the problem, not necessarily the health insurance companies (IMHO).
dontworry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Compare that with typical profit margins of 15-20+% for Big Pharma and 12+% for medical device makers.
Ezra Klein - Health-insurance industry: Still not that profitable
Thanks for those links. I especially liked the Yahoo Business link in the quote above. Direct link here: Healthcare Sector - Yahoo! Finance Industry browser

According to that information, over three quarters of the health care industry market capitalization and most of the profit, is attributed to the pharmaceutical companies. I can see how that might appear to be a bit lopsided...
jimbee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:53 PM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

I know that insurance is only subsidized by mega corp for myself. Not my dependents. You might want to double check.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

That is quite a good deal for a retiree.

Many of us would love to get a 50% subsidy. 80% is very nice. I know several people who pay more than you for one person on a silver plan.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

OTOH, if the price of health insurance makes retirement unaffordable, then one has to continue working at least enough to earn employee paid insurance.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:48 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

$774 for a family for HDHI premium sounds reasonable. We pay $683 per month for 2 for our HDHI policy. If you want to play, you gotta pay.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:06 PM   #19

The final dollar figure sounds reasonable, it is the claim of the 80% subsidy that might be where the mischief exists.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:21 PM   #20

Quote:

Well, I got that beat. My premiums for two people are 12,600 a year and I am one of those despised spoiled public employees.
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote