Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-28-2016, 07:12 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

A nest egg?

A real or artificial egg left in a nest to induce hens to lay eggs?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2016, 08:23 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by srlimoges View Post
A nest egg?

A real or artificial egg left in a nest to induce hens to lay eggs?
Beware the ones deposited by a Cuckoo.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:51 AM   #23

Didn't read the article but chart talks about "more freedom" not happiness. Retirement would certainly allow for more freedom. Also, people are generally pretty good at making the most out of their situation, thus no reason to believe their happiness is strictly dependent on wealth. Now if you were to ask people "if they would be happy to lose half their assets". I'm pretty sure I know the answer.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:32 PM   #24

Dirk Cotton has some interesting posts regarding retiree bankruptcies. He states it's unlikely based on research that those bankruptcies derived from sequence of returns risk or PF failure. More likely, they result from financial shocks from which a retiree is unable to recover.

As a result of reading these posts, I began to look at retirement from a different angle with respect to insulating myself (as much as is humanly possible) from financial shocks. My thinking in doing so is that such "insulation" will help insure PF survival and retirement success. I found this longer term Society of Actuaries study using real life retiree cohorts this particularly illuminating:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...uuo6RL7OK6y2aw
Old 05-28-2016, 12:46 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving Life View Post
Sorry, I am not giving up my Millions to be more happy
Made me chuckle, great post!
Old 05-28-2016, 01:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Many can derive happiness just by looking at their millions. Nowaways, it's not even a pile of cash, or shiny gold bars. It's just a number on the computer screen.
Woa, hold on there. What did you just say? Maybe we don't actually have any money at all? Perhaps it's all just numbers on a computer screen?
Old 05-28-2016, 04:45 PM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Many can derive happiness just by looking at their millions. Nowaways, it's not even a pile of cash, or shiny gold bars. It's just a number on the computer screen.
Woa, hold on there. What did you just say? Maybe we don't actually have any money at all? Perhaps it's all just numbers on a computer screen?
Impossible! NW-Bound has assured us that the figure below shows him with his money. Numbers? Computer screen? Nope, nope, nope. He is just saying that to keep us from feeling bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17kdjxvdqvygyjpg.jpg (79.3 KB, 51 views)

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:57 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I buy it. For 50+ year olds, many are drawing pensions or SS or very close to SS age. Lots have paid off their 30 year mortgages (or the payment is so tiny it's nothing).

My grandma would certainly vote in the affirmative on this poll even though her SS is pretty small and she has a very low five figure bank account (plus paid off house). No way she would voluntarily go back to waking up at 4:30 am to make the rounds on the chicken farm collecting eggs at 5:30 and repeat that 4x per day till 6 pm. 7 days per week. Farming is hard, collecting an SS check and living on a "fixed income" and permits much more freedom to do whatever one wants.

My parents in-laws, with the same tiny SS payments ($1500/mo total after medicare part B deduction) and a very low 5 figure bank balance would agree. No more crawling in tight spaces, sweating in the sun all day, or stooping over circuit boards doing electronics assembly for minimum wage.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:02 AM   #29

Perhaps all those happy free people with less than 25K in savings simply are financially illiterate.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:30 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
But note that those with $1M+ are 1% less so. Granted it's just 1% but I wonder why.
As someone mentioned, maybe a statistical noise. Or maybe the ones with $1M+ definition have larger expectations of what money should do, vs. what it can do. Or they are driven so much, that they think they are still 'not there' and need to work harder.

I always knew I would never be a billionaire, as long before I reached a billion, I would be out. I do like the thought of having more than 'average', so I can do most things that average people do.

If I knew I was only going to have $25K at retirement, I would have never worked in the first place. There is no way that working for 40 years, and living in poverty at the end, is worth that much effort.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:58 PM   #31

25K is poverty?? Guess I didn't get the memo. With a paid off place to live and car 25k can be enough to live comfortably.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:02 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
25K is poverty?? Guess I didn't get the memo. With a paid off place to live and car 25k can be enough to live comfortably.
I believe they mean $25K in total assets, not annual income. You can live in $25K a year, as long as you do not do a bunch of stuff. There is no need to work at all if you only aspire to live in $25K a year.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:04 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
100% agreed, in a lower COL area like ours 25k is plenty with no debt. That's all we need for basic COL but we spend a bit more for vacations and such.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:36 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
100% agreed, in a lower COL area like ours 25k is plenty with no debt. That's all we need for basic COL but we spend a bit more for vacations and such.
The chart was "investable assets" not "income". I don't know many places where I'd feel comfortable retiring with $25K total saved. Even with a pension and SS, that's not a whole lot of buffer regardless of whether it qualifies as "poverty" or not depending on the metric.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:39 AM   #35

We live in Canada. Several things are happening to seniors.

The number of seniors who are retiring with debt, mortgage or consumer, is increasing. The percentage of personal bankruptcies by seniors is increasing. The percentage of seniors who are missing payments on consumer credit/consumer loans is increasing. It has been so for the past four years.

We are also seeing an increase in the poverty levels of seniors-most especially single/divorced women.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:47 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
Now in the interest of full disclosure many of my friends had some type of "government" job where they are drawing decent pensions.
That's a key factor as to whether or not one needs millions. My brother can retire in his mid 50's and will have close to a six figure annual pension along with social security when he's ready.

I have no pension and will require and asset base of about $2.5 million to safely produce the income he'll have with his pension.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:57 AM   #37
Administrator

I have a 4-figure annual pension from my federal government job, mid 3-figures per month, whoopee! Break out the party hats and let's party.

Seriously, I am happy and thriving without a nest egg of millions. Honestly I don't know what I'd do with millions. I mean, really? Millions? Get real! That wasn't me when I was working, and it's not me now. I love my life and have no delusions of grandeur.

Now, time? Ah, that's a different kettle of fish. At this stage in life I'd value a few years more time so much more than having millions.

I guess this is a good place to post the cartoon that we all have seen.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:00 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim-high View Post
That's a key factor as to whether or not one needs millions. My brother can retire in his mid 50's and will have close to a six figure annual pension along with social security when he's ready.

I have no pension and will require and asset base of about $2.5 million to safely produce the income he'll have with his pension.
Possibly, but expenses/desired spending is the single biggest factor. I know quite a few people with five-figure COLA'ed pensions who still need million(s) in order to support their lifestyle based on where they live. I'll be one of them!
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:37 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
Possibly, but expenses/desired spending is the single biggest factor. I know quite a few people with five-figure COLA'ed pensions who still need million(s) in order to support their lifestyle based on where they live. I'll be one of them!
Exactly. My brother lives in the San Fran area. I live in the DC area. Not too many places cost more. Owning a paid-for house and two modest cars can cost over $20K a year in taxes, utilities, insurance, maintenance, fuel. Add $10K for healthcare (h/w) and another $10K for food and you're at $40K.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:48 AM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What we've found now that we have more free time is that we can live the same lifestyle or actually better than we had before but spend much less.

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote