Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-31-2016, 06:36 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

We are splurging on lie flat business class seats to Hawaii for our family of five. It is an 11 hour flight from Newark to Honolulu and I found a great deal that was only about $500 more per seat. Next year all kids will be on college so who knows how many of these full family trips we will be doing so I thought I would pamper us a bit.

We are typically the opposite of Danmar and go relatively inexpensive on the rooms and food. Costco and a kitchen saves a lot in Hawaii!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2016, 06:40 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbahop View Post
My guess is a problem with the seat cutoff safety switch.
+1

It does sound as if it is related to the safety system, probably the seat. You might also want to look at the reverse cutoff system if your mower is so equipped (shuts the mower off if you try to back up with the blade engaged unless your ignition key is in the override position).
Old 05-31-2016, 06:52 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post

The most expensive stuff I can find. Well, not really the most expensive with regards to caviar and stuff of that nature, but here's a good example. I bought an Echo weed whacker at home depot. I used to buy the "value" stuff and it would work for a couple years and then croak. Not to mention it was not well balanced, hard to start and vibrated. That Echo cost 3 times the cheapies. Starts easy, runs smooth and my arms don't ache after from the vibes and the imbalance. Sweet!

Hopefully, you'll have as good of an experience with Echo as I have -- was using my 25 year old chain saw this weekend after reassembling the chain brake. Bought back in the days when Echo wasn't even offered in the big box hardware stores. That and the line trimmer (which breathed its last after two decades of [ab]use) were good investments even though it hurt to pay for them at the time.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:05 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Yes we are leaving June 10th for Amsterdam, then Bruges, then touring until June 26th in Metz for the 8 day bike/barge trip. That is a bucket list item. Also showing DW Alsace-Lorraine where I was posted with the air force. Koblenz-Cologne and then Paris.

The biking trip is with 2 other couples from Vancouver and the total capacity is 5 couples. The Euros exchange is favourable right now. However, if we were paying 1700 a night, we would feel obliged to spend the day there and not see Italy! Our price per night varies from 120 to 520 Euros per night. (Except for the bike/barge which is $835 USD per night! But that includes meals, helmets, bikes, T-shirts.)
Old 05-31-2016, 07:21 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
My front lawn is about an acre. The lawn tractor just went on the Fritz (it starts sputtering and then it dies when the blades are engaged - If somebody knows what causes this please let me know) so I just finished mowing with my push mower. I'm exhausted but the exercise actually feels good!
It's great you are healthy enough to mow a 1 acre plus with a push mower IMO if this is your choice. As stated already it sounds like either your seat safety switch or the reverse safety mechanism. You also have a very nice lawn!!
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:26 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Wow! That is the kind of post you don't see here very often. Most of the bragging relates to what people don't spend. I'm with you. I like being able to splurge. Leaving for Italy tonight and our first hotel is about 1,700 Euros a night. Often spend more. One of our weaknesses is expensive hotels.
lol,
and here I thought I was the only one. heck just last week i was told basically I should feel guilty because I spent money on a luxury vehicle and have to pass homeless guys on the street.

generally I have found that if you've accumulated wealth, you are then told the "acceptable' ways to spend it.
On this forum it is perfectly fine to drop tons of money on travel, evidently "experiences" are good but you by no means should ever blow money on "toys". new cars are evil, jewelry is especially forbidden.

Have fun in Italy. I'm going in 2017. luxury hotels are my thing also. they had to drag me from the four seasons in Paris and I'm a firm believer that if heaven really exist the action takes place at the Paris Ritz. lol
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:15 AM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

I get inordinate pleasure by sharing a portion of my money to the guys with cardboard signs. I know it isn't smart but I do it anyway.
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:42 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by devans0 View Post
I get inordinate pleasure by sharing a portion of my money to the guys with cardboard signs. I know it isn't smart but I do it anyway.

i think it's wonderful. I know one women who's life was changed 100% by the random kindness of a stranger.
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:03 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

The juxtaposition of the $1700 euro hotel room with the guy troubleshooting his old riding lawnmower then mowing an acre with his push mower. Perfect illustration of how some folks can thrive on $25k while others thrive on millions.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:15 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
The juxtaposition of the $1700 euro hotel room with the guy troubleshooting his old riding lawnmower then mowing an acre with his push mower. Perfect illustration of how some folks can thrive on $25k while others thrive on millions.
Just another case of à chacun son goût I guess......DW & I commented to each other about the €1,700....not something we'd choose to do, regardless of the amount of money available to us.......it's just not who we are, but if someone else enjoys it, and can afford it, "Good luck, and keep pumping money into the world economy".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:26 AM   #71

Quote:
The two are not mutually exclusive. Weird how our minds work--I spent 4 hours in 90 degree heat yesterday line trimming along our driveway and mowed area of our property. Darned if I will pay someone to do that and get half the work quality as mine. But, no problem in dropping big bucks on meals or a dive boat that is comparable per day to Danmar's hotel room.

To each his/her own.

P.S.--relating to the "Good years" thread.... 4 hours of line trimming at 56 is FAR harder than the full work days of line trimming at 19!
Old 05-31-2016, 09:33 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Just another case of à chacun son goût I guess......DW & I commented to each other about the €1,700....not something we'd choose to do, regardless of the amount of money available to us.......it's just not who we are, but if someone else enjoys it, and can afford it, "Good luck, and keep pumping money into the world economy".

Some people are just wired not to spend money. My dad has a million liquid, everything paid for and they dont even spend their monthly SS checks let alone the investment income. And I am the one that suffers for it.....Last month I showed up to visit and next thing you know I am scrubbing and washing his entire house. I was exhausted. I told him I didnt want to do it and just hire someone for $200 like my neighbor just did that week. Of course he says, dont worry about, I will get it done somehow....Ya, he walks with a cane and is going to stand on a ladder in a truck bed reaching the high spots. Gets me every time. Next week I have to work on his patios "when I visit".

Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:05 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Now that is low. He's not going to spend the dough so he guilts you? Amazing.

I enjoy DIY home improvement stuff although I have hired more jobs (especially tree trimming) as I age. I am painting the house myself and it's kinda fun as well as good exercise (I know because I ache after)

But that's the point eh? Do want you want and do what you like with your dough because it your dough and you earned it. As I said I retired before I even knew this site (or others like it) existed and if I had planned all this out in advance I would know stuff like my spending and my SS and other stuff and I could have retired earlier than I did. But I didn't and now I have a bigger stash than I would have had and I plan on having fun!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:14 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Even if I was very, very well off, I probably couldn't justify $1700 for one night in a hotel...the value for the dollar just isn't there.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:19 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Now that is low. He's not going to spend the dough so he guilts you? Amazing.

I enjoy DIY home improvement stuff although I have hired more jobs (especially tree trimming) as I age. I am painting the house myself and it's kinda fun as well as good exercise (I know because I ache after)

But that's the point eh? Do want you want and do what you like with your dough because it your dough and you earned it. As I said I retired before I even knew this site (or others like it) existed and if I had planned all this out in advance I would know stuff like my spending and my SS and other stuff and I could have retired earlier than I did. But I didn't and now I have a bigger stash than I would have had and I plan on having fun!

Although it does get mentioned a bit more here in this forum, I suspect you are in the vast minority of people who can transition from being frugal for a purpose, to enjoying the fruits of your labor. Age may have something to do with it though. Someone who has been frugal for 60 years the habit is just too ingrained to change.
I do not personally know anyone who accumulated wealth to enjoy a good retirement. But I know a lot of people who are very frugal with wealth. They all are similar in they gave generously to their church or family if needed, but never spend anything on their self other than the very basic necessities. My Dad fits that mode and many old school farmers I know. I have one friend whose Dad cancelled his only real hobby reading daily newspaper because it jumped $5 a month. Too expensive! Yet turns around and gives his son (my friend) a 100k to build his house.

Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:25 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yesterday I spent an hour replacing a pressure reducing valve in my 2' high crawlspace. Saved $200 vs the plumber's labor quote and got the job done just as well. Not exactly fun but rewarding to do a novel (to me) job well. And good exercise I think (though I'm still not feeling it today since I'm 35).

Some people pay money to crawl through caves. I get paid to crawl through a similar environment underneath my house. And saved enough to pay for two days of cave exploration for the whole family this summer in Kentucky (with no crawling through muck I hope...)!
Old 05-31-2016, 10:29 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Even if I was very, very well off, I probably couldn't justify $1700 for one night in a hotel...the value for the dollar just isn't there.
I feel the same way. I'm not wired to appreciate the difference between a $300/nt and a $3000/nt hotel room. Also don't travel just to spend time inside a hotel or the hotel room. I'd probably find a way to spend the money elsewhere before spending that much on a hotel room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I had to google that French phrase but yes, to each their own. I'm glad I can get just as much fulfillment enjoying the scenery from the balcony of a cheap hotel room as I can from a nice one (assuming the view is similar).
Old 05-31-2016, 10:34 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
All boils down to perspective, (and bank balances, for the most part, but not always); 'value' is open to interpretation.

As an example, here and on other sites, we see posts by those who, (in our humble opinions), seem 'fixated', (although that may be way too strong a word), on restaurants.

DW & I regard restaurants, on the exceedingly rare occasions we frequent one, as places to refuel, rather than 'sublime experiences', and what some/most may regard as 'value' we see as unnecessary expenditure of money that we'd prefer to allocate elsewhere.

All part of the mosaic.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:36 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm glad I can get just as much fulfillment enjoying the scenery from the balcony of a cheap hotel room as I can from a nice one (assuming the view is similar).
You're preaching to our choir.

Added: The word 'pamper' was used upthread, and it's a word we've heard relatively frequently shipboard; we're not ascetics, but the idea of being 'pampered' at a spa or restaurant is somewhat offputting.....neither of us appreciates being hovered over by servile flunkies.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:51 AM   #80

Quote:
Right, but the point of my post was not to convince you that it is something you should spend on (even if you had the means). My point was simply that each person makes their own spending decisions based on their personal utility function which is constrained and shaped by their means. Secondly that spending outrageous amounts (as this hotel certainly is) is not morally inferior to staying at a much less expensive hotel.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote