Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-18-2014, 09:03 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Just another reminder of how unprepared our country is for retirement. According to USA Today, 69% of the working population, and 66% of the retired population have less than $50K in savings.

While it does not address what percentage may have a DB plan, we can assume that over the next couple of decades the percentage with a DB plan will continue to diminish, leaving nothing but social security and government aid for people to live on.

It certainly builds a strong case for means testing down the road on social security, unless we come up with a better plan before we need to go there.

Retirement: A third have less than $1,000 put away
I recently read that the average 401K balance reached a new high of $110K at the end of 2013. So for about 30 seconds I felt good about me being higher than that. Then it hit me…don't use $110K as a benchmark because Americans have under saved! Eek!!
supernova72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2014, 09:11 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Social Security Admin does in depth studies on theses percentages and I read the one published for 2013. The figures they give by age group indicated much higher net retirement savings than those quoted in this article. I've read quite a few other articles from non government sources on the subject also recently and these figures by USA today are far lower than any of those as well. I frankly find these too unrealistic to believe. If someone cold called me with that question I'd never give them a hint to my actual retirement worth. Plus the target group quantity was pretty small.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

57% of all statistics are made up.
ChiSaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:22 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Just another reminder of how unprepared our country is for retirement. According to USA Today, 69% of the working population, and 66% of the retired population have less than $50K in savings.

While it does not address what percentage may have a DB plan, we can assume that over the next couple of decades the percentage with a DB plan will continue to diminish, leaving nothing but social security and government aid for people to live on.

It certainly builds a strong case for means testing down the road on social security, unless we come up with a better plan before we need to go there.

The US has had a trade deficiet for 50 years. Until the country corrects this, the American idea of a quality retirement is gone for the majority of the population.
Theduckguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:54 PM   #25
gone traveling

I dont think means testing is required, maybe IQ testing. So many of my co workers have 2 ski mobiles, a boat, second home, third car, etc etc. I have none of that crap but millions socked away to retire at 53. Let them play with their toys...
Moneygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:14 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneygrubber View Post
I dont think means testing is required, maybe IQ testing. So many of my co workers have 2 ski mobiles, a boat, second home, third car, etc etc. I have none of that crap but millions socked away to retire at 53. Let them play with their toys...

But means testing won't take into account the value of all their toys. Your investments and cash will be. And thus redistribution from savers to spenders via taxation and benefits will likely occur much more in the future. Spend it while ya can!
Turboslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:06 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
The Social Security Admin does in depth studies on theses percentages and I read the one published for 2013. The figures they give by age group indicated much higher net retirement savings than those quoted in this article. I've read quite a few other articles from non government sources on the subject also recently and these figures by USA today are far lower than any of those as well. I frankly find these too unrealistic to believe. If someone cold called me with that question I'd never give them a hint to my actual retirement worth. Plus the target group quantity was pretty small.
that survey really is based on a very small sampling of the public. only a few hundred thousand folks are surveyed for those wealth figures.

with something as variable as worth it is impossible to draw any real conclusion about what anyone has.

i can give all my money away and get an annuity that pays 200k a year and come up pennyless in that survey.

it really is flawed.
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:31 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yet, even despite the concerns about its source data, its conclusion is chillingly accurate regardless.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:25 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Yet, even despite the concerns about its source data, its conclusion is chillingly accurate regardless.
Yes, there are way too many people who are well established in their careers (say, folks over about 35-40) and no good DB pension plans that have insufficient personal savings, but I still wish they would report responsibly about these studies and surveys to reflect that many of these people are younger (under 30) and are more likely to be saving for a home purchase than retirement -- and that many people who have robust DB pensions waiting for them don't need to have a huge personal retirement savings stash to pull it off (though the more they have, the more wiggle room they have if things don't go according to plan).

And even those who do have DB pensions waiting for them in the future, especially if they are under about 50-55 years old, they probably need a Plan B with personal savings as there is a reasonable-to-good chance the goalposts will be moved on them before they actually reach retirement and their pensions won't be as generous as is currently stated to them.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote