Join Early Retirement Today

Retirement article
Old 11-08-2011, 03:24 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Retirement article

Is There a Retirement Crisis? by Nicole Gelinas, City Journal Autumn 2011

Most interesting to me was the percentage of households without debt had remained at 13% steady over 20 years. The rest is an interesting compilation of stats with some suggestions on how to get out of a hole for upcoming retirees - work more!!!!!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2011, 05:28 AM   #2

Well written article. Thanks!
Brett_Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:34 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

The article does little to reassure the apparent minority who has saved adequate resources to finance their retirement years. To me it implies that the haves will be further called upon to sacrifice for the benefit of those who have not. Although it touts the virtues of thrift and planning it does little to address the political reality of a government imposed trend towards income and wealth redistribution.
justplainbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:18 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One comment, with rates much lower now a retiree with a mortgage has gotten a great break on refinancing. The comparison should not really be on debt loads but rather on the average monthly mortgage as a percent of expenses.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbll View Post
The article does little to reassure the apparent minority who has saved adequate resources to finance their retirement years. To me it implies that the haves will be further called upon to sacrifice for the benefit of those who have not. Although it touts the virtues of thrift and planning it does little to address the political reality of a government imposed trend towards income and wealth redistribution.
But on the other hand, we need to understand that the "retirement crisis" and the "unemployment crisis" are very much linked, because the less people are able to retire, the higher unemployment remains since the usual backfilling of new job openings from retirements dries up. And from a public policy viewpoint, I think it's a mistake to look at these as completely separate issues. The less people can retire, the more "the haves" who "saved adequate resources" will have to pay taxes for benefits to the larger ranks of the unemployed anyway. So what have you lost, really?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

The article seems to finger the Baby Boomers and points out that by 2050 the over age 65 population will comprise +/-20% of the population (up from +/-13%). According to the US Census Bureau (2008), these figures correlate - however even the youngest of the Baby Boomers (1946-1964) will be over age 85 (or dead) in 2050, and the +85 age group will just be 19 million of the 89 million over 65 age group (and less than 4% of the projected 2050 population of 439 million).

The City Journal article (part of the Manhattan Institute which is sponsored by conservatives like the Koch foundation) doesn't really touch on American Businesses having quickly thrown the Defined Benefits retirement scenario under the bus (so to say) with little to no government oversight. This has left employees having to fend for themselves with their retirement planning. They have received little (or none) guidance with retirement planning from either government/education or where they work. This scenario has been (and still is) sort of a work in progress - is there any wonder why there is such a retirement dilemma in this country?
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ants. Grasshoppers. Perpetual debates.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:24 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Ants. Grasshoppers. Perpetual debates.
but the grasshopper seems to be becoming more fashionable
justplainbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:20 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbll
but the grasshopper seems to be becoming more fashionable
Delicious! And high in protein,too...

Cue Jonathon Swift...
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Stock market returns, confidence in the economy, and interest rates all affect the unemployment rate. I know at least two people that would be willing to retire and make way for some unemployed folks to enter the workforce if the markets weren't so schizzo and bonds were paying a little better.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:59 PM   #11

Hey, cut it out with the tasty Grasshopper stuff!!!!!
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz View Post
The article seems to finger the Baby Boomers...
I take all Boomer-centered predictions about the economy, the financial markets and demographic trends with a HUGE grain of salt.

Anyone else remember the predictions a few years back which claimed that come 2010 (give or take), we were going to have a "help wanted" crisis because too many boomers were going to retire and there weren't enough younger people to backfill the positions they vacated?

Oops.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Anyone else remember the predictions a few years back which claimed that come 2010 (give or take), we were going to have a "help wanted" crisis because too many boomers were going to retire and there weren't enough younger people to backfill the positions they vacated?
Here's a 2008 govt report on the looming labor shortage. My old company spent quite a bit of time and money developing a contingency plan to handle the crisis.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #14

Lots of well chosen facts, but I can't agree with the only recommendation (that the government should do more with the tax code to "encourage saving").

Social Security provides a floor of protection for all workers. If people want to save so they can spend more than SS, that's fine with me. If people would rather consume today and just live on SS if they get old, that's fine, too.

My guess is that most people will save about the same amount with or without the tax breaks. All we accomplish with this alphabet soup of retirement programs is to complicate the tax code.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:30 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Here's a 2008 govt report on the looming labor shortage. My old company spent quite a bit of time and money developing a contingency plan to handle the crisis.
So, the allotment of labor to develop a contingency plan for a labor shortage inadvertently created a labor shortage?

Bet nobody saw that one coming...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
So, the allotment of labor to develop a contingency plan for a labor shortage inadvertently created a labor shortage?

Bet nobody saw that one coming...
That sounds like something right out of one of the old "Yes Minister" programs..
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
That sounds like something right out of one of the old "Yes Minister" programs..
I'm going to hijack my own thread......Great show - Yes Prime Minister was great, too. Love those Brits and their twist on the English language....
Old 11-11-2011, 11:20 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Hmmm...was their contingency plan to start a great recession?
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino View Post
Hmmm...was their contingency plan to start a great recession?
They had a choice of that or a fertility clinic. They figured either option would result in a bunch of folks getting screwed...
Old 11-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
They had a choice of that or a fertility clinic. They figured either option would result in a bunch of folks getting screwed...
Well, personally, I wish their coin flip would have come up tails.
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote