Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Which retirement benefits do you have (plan on having)?
Pension (non-COLA) & Soc Sec 37 13.91%
Pension (COLA) & Soc Sec 12 4.51%
Retiree Health Care & Soc Sec 11 4.14%
Pension (non-COLA), Retiree Health Care & Soc Sec 54 20.30%
Pension (COLA), Retiree Health Care & Soc Sec 63 23.68%
Soc Sec 89 33.46%
Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2008, 05:03 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Maybe I don't understand, but aren't there public sector jobs which may have a COLA pension and usually health care, but no SS eligibility?

Ha
Yep - a reasonable contingent of retired railroad cats at my doughnut shop. Aka 'the rich guys' - they can afford the jelly filled.

heh heh heh -

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2008, 05:21 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

There was no selection for my situation as I have a pension (COLA), a pension (non COLA), health benefits and SS. I have yet to pull the cord on the non-COLA and SS benefit as they are still climbing in value and I am doing ok with the other two benefits that are activated so far.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:40 PM   #43

COLA'd pension, SS later, subsidized heath care (I pay 30% of the total premium), and savings. But like everyone else my deferred comp account has taken a beating.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:48 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Survivor pension with cola benefits and health care , SS at 62 and investments .
Old 11-25-2008, 06:00 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Midpack - probably need to have a "none of the above" category. I will be eligible for SS under today's rules, but the rules may change, and/or SS may go belly up by the time I am eligible. Therefore, in my projections SS is never included....thus I have not voted.

R
That occurred to me and I probably should have, but I assumed everyone assumes they will get something from Soc Sec until 2041 (or whatever the latest crossover date is). I'd suggest folks like you vote Soc Sec...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:00 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Two cola'd pensions, health care from both, plus the VA, TSP, Deferred Comp, savings/investments...unless w*rking for 12-17 more years kills me first!
Old 11-25-2008, 06:10 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

DB pension for me (non-COLA) Eligible at age 55.
Small state pension for DW at age 65
S.S. for both
Retiree health benefits (company contribution is presently capped at a fixed $ amount per month, retiree responsible for premiums above that amount, so who knows how good this will be in the future?)
Old 11-25-2008, 06:16 PM   #48

I'm not taking it yet, but,last time I checked, I have a non-COLA'd pension waiting for me to start. Should also have a pretty good SS check, unless it gets complicated by means testing or something. I'm already getting retirement medical, although cost increases are born by me, not the company. All in all, it's not great, like a government pension, but it's better than a stick in the eye.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:46 PM   #49
Dryer sheet aficionado

Me: Age 59, COLA Pension, TSP

DW: Age 53, IRA/401K at age 60, SS at age 62

Retiree Healthcare for both (not free though)
Old 11-25-2008, 07:28 PM   #50

ER'd @ 50, in April '07 with:

COLA'd DB Gov't Pension (I love getting paid monthly to not work).

Full coverage Medical, Dental, & Prescription Insurance for Life...I pay 25% of the monthly premium (Prescription co-pay is $5 generic & $20 brand-name, per 30 day supply @ pharmacy or 90 day supply by mail).

SS eligible @ 62.

IRA, Roth IRA, & other investments for further down the road.

Life is Great!
Old 11-25-2008, 07:39 PM   #51

Non-Cola pension from mega-corp, (small SS offset reduction at age 65)
employee healthcare (pay my share just as employed),
S.S. (I hope) for me and DW,
401K, IRA's, non-qualified account.

This was the poll that I have enjoyed the most as I was also curious to see the results. Thanks for posting it.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:40 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

today's matinee...
CSRS survivor pension (100%), COLA, lifetime health benefits (100% self paid)
fixed annuity (TSP conversion), no survivor benefit

coming soon to a theatre near me...
plan to marry retired military man at my age 55, will be eligible for full health benefits as secondary insurance
my own deferred FERS pension at age 56, diet COLA, no health benefits
my own SS at age 62
Roth IRA, small sized now
comfortable size non-retirement portfolio

permission to hate me is granted.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:08 PM   #53

Alas. I just have my good looks to get by on. But I did vote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:18 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Well, I voted Health bennies and SS. But I did get a pension, just took it as a lump sum. Th company had frozen the pension, and I suspect that in a few years they'll figure out how to keep all the money. I rolled it into an IRA, and sort of forgot it was a pension.

The health bennies are the reason I stayed (like W2R). They only give me 56% of the allotment for an active employee. It was mostly the ability to stay covered, since DW and I both have pre-existing conditions. Interestingly, our payments are going down about 15% this year. I think that means the basic employee coverage went up, but our Kaiser coverage didn't. Sweet.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:28 PM   #55

2 small pensions that I plan to take at 55yo that will be about 30% of todays spending (will hopefully take care of health insurance) and SS at 62yo. Still sticking with the plan - but man this is a very scary time....I listened to Peter Schiff today. He was the one that called the current unravelling of the economy last August (he was laughed at on CNBC during his interview - see below) In a more eloquent fashion -- he said we are just getting started with the screwing we in the market are going to enjoy . Lets hope this "permabear" is wrong this time.

Ben Stein could not have been more wrong.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:07 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Non cola pension, subsidized health insurance and social security.

The pension would cover two thirds of our living expenses but we'll take the smaller pension annuity and a partial lump sum. We will both take social security at age 62.

Hopefully cd ladders, three IRA's, bonds and a few individual stocks will make up the difference....
Old 11-26-2008, 06:36 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poundkey View Post
These results really surprised me. I figured the SS only group like myself would be much smaller. Good poll.....
That's why I did the poll. When asking about the financial aspects of retirement here, knowing what benefits the poster has would make a world of difference. Someone with no pension or health care (like me) is faced with entirely different circumstance than someone else with a COLA'd pension and retiree health care (like my parents). It's apples and oranges. I don't begrudge anyone, but I wish there was a forum devoted to the half of us who must manage retirement with nothing bug our own resources except Soc Sec (and that uncertainty). Please don't interpret this as critical of SIRE folks, not at all the point.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:50 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
That's why I did the poll. When asking about the financial aspects of retirement here, knowing what benefits the poster has would make a world of difference. Someone with no pension or health care (like me) is faced with entirely different circumstance than someone else with a COLA'd pension and retiree health care (like my parents). It's apples and oranges. I don't begrudge anyone, but I wish there was a forum devoted to the half of us who must manage retirement with nothing bug our own resources except Soc Sec (and that uncertainty). Please don't interpret this as critical of SIRE folks, not at all the point.
no offense was meant nor should any be taken. you were very well spoken on this issue.
you are absolutely correct. i was in private sector for 8 yrs before crossing over to civil service. i'm sure there are others here who also transitioned. or never did.
if a forum dedicated to "no DB plan" folks would work out, go for it. but can we still visit?
Old 11-26-2008, 07:09 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Good point. If one has no DB pension... better start preparing early and save a lot.

I think SS will be there... But I do think it will be means tested (of sorts)... but implemented with higher taxes if one has additional income. This is probably still a few years out.... but the SS tax torpedo will probably get larger.

Not knowing how it will be implemented... this is why I think Roth IRAs could wind up being an important tax avoiding mechanism.

I am planning to add to the Roth and roll over money into our Roths up to our income bracket limit.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:59 AM   #60

Quote:
No offence taken (assuming I am one of the SIRE folks - what does SIRE maen? ) Good poll, thanks for doing it.

Looking at the poll at this moment those who have SS only are 33.75% not 50% like you ssid in your post. However, I agree that it is still higher than I expected for this forum.

I very nearly FIRED with 3 years to go before I qualified for Retiree health benefits, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it and am sticking it out. I continue to be impressed by those folks who manage without either a pension or retiree health benefits.