Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-03-2008, 01:53 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think VW's quality has gone down over the years. In the newest Consumer Reports the VW curve for needed maintenance in later years is VERY HIGH.

I'm glad your Mazda is running well. I have heard a lot of horror stories about Mazda's in years past. Seems like every car brand Ford has purchased has had quality problems, like Jaguar, Land Rover, etc...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2008, 10:11 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

My DW's Jetta was horrible. Lots of repairs we finally traded it for a Lexus and it has been perfect. My Nissan is perfect as well. Guess it is Japanese vehicles for me the rest of the time.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:14 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

i budget about $300 per month for insurance and maintenance.
how i reduced my car repair expenses : make friends with a DIY mechanic. you pay for the parts. offer cash or use the ol' fashioned barter system, i.e. if you fix my car, i'll mown your lawn for a week or deliver home cooked meals for a week. or ask the mechanic to propose a "reward" for his time. <no snickers>
most DIYers love to help people out for minor repair items. they get to show off their knowledge and we all beat the dealers' ripoff labor rates and parts markup. yeah!
i just got my 02 Jeep GK inspected at a well known tire selling chain. their free checkup resulted in a $650 estimate to do brakes/rotors/pads on the 2 rear wheels, oil and lube, fluid fill. i smiled sweetly at that one.
and called my buddy. he got the parts for under $250 with killer manuf warranties on the parts. all i have to do is hand him the tools and parts and hang out while he does the work. won't take cash.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:46 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
.............. all i have to do is hand him the tools and parts and hang out while he does the work. won't take cash.
Freebird, you gotta have a great smile!
Old 03-05-2008, 10:07 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

um...yes I do or so i've been told...LOL

but i also forgot to mention i was a small engine and auto mechanic during summers putting myself thru college. i was a "girl mechanic" who learned by watching the guys and not being afraid to get greasy. and still am a DIY mechanic for minor stuff to some extent. save myself a TON of money over the years.

if you ask me to get any kind of tool, 9/10 times i can do it. without the fluttering eyelashes.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:19 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Give me an old car with a recognizable engine, and I could work on it. Just don't want to...

However, these new cars might as well have a nucular reactor under the hood...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:22 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
um...yes I do or so i've been told...LOL

but i also forgot to mention i was a small engine and auto mechanic during summers putting myself thru college. i was a "girl mechanic" who learned by watching the guys and not being afraid to get greasy. and still am a DIY mechanic for minor stuff to some extent. save myself a TON of money over the years.

if you ask me to get any kind of tool, 9/10 times i can do it. without the fluttering eyelashes.
Girl mechanics are hot.......... I used to date a girl who helped build engines for her father's dirt track racing team......she looked VERY NICE in overalls.................

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:28 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Girl mechanics are hot..........
Woman mechanics are hotter...and more legal.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:29 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

LMAO - good stuff.

i never got that far into heavy duty mechanics. i worked for Sears Roebuck. took a correspondence course at their expense and got trained by their master mechanic on site. my mom always taught me to be independent, and being a starving college student driving beater cars, DIY was a natural. plus mechanic's pay with weekends free was far better than waiting tables. my customers were always happy once they got over the shock of having a "girl" work on their lawnmowers/chainsaws/cars.

that was one of the best jobs i ever had.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:31 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Give me an old car with a recognizable engine, and I could work on it. Just don't want to...

However, these new cars might as well have a nucular reactor under the hood...
new cars - i call it "a bowl of spaghetti" under the hood. car manuf do that on purpose. either that or the automotive engineer had a hangover that day the engine compartment was designed.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:14 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
new cars - i call it "a bowl of spaghetti" under the hood. car manuf do that on purpose. either that or the automotive engineer had a hangover that day the engine compartment was designed.

I worked in the business. Under hood packaging is like sausage making. No one is totally in charge, every engineer wants to make their wires / vacuum lines / hoses as short as possible to save cost, yadda yadda yadda
Old 03-05-2008, 01:25 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I worked in the business. Under hood packaging is like sausage making. No one is totally in charge, every engineer wants to make their wires / vacuum lines / hoses as short as possible to save cost, yadda yadda yadda
sausage making - good one and on target!

oops, were you one of those automotive engineers? <freebird slinks under the rug>
just kidding.

i am (was) an electronics engineer for 25 years. what is a feral engineer?
Old 03-05-2008, 01:46 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Wow, you weren't exaggerating about that accident! What gruesome photos.
It didn't look that bad to me. The passenger compartment stayed intact although I'm sure it scared the daylights out of the driver.

Sure it totaled the car but they're a lot cheaper than a week in ICU. Not to mention the pain involved.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:53 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.............. what is a feral engineer?

–adjective

1.existing in a natural state, as animals or plants; not domesticated or cultivated; wild.

2.having reverted to the wild state, as from domestication: a pack of feral dogs roaming the woods.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:53 PM   #35
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
It didn't look that bad to me. The passenger compartment stayed intact although I'm sure it scared the daylights out of the driver.

Sure it totaled the car but they're a lot cheaper than a week in ICU. Not to mention the pain involved.
Well, you've probably seen a lot of accidents in your occupation (if my recollection is correct, you are/were in law enforcement of some kind?). To me, it looked awful! If the driver was uninjured, then I am really glad about that.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:05 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
–adjective

1.existing in a natural state, as animals or plants; not domesticated or cultivated; wild.

2.having reverted to the wild state, as from domestication: a pack of feral dogs roaming the woods.
ok, i'd heard of feral cats. wanted to be sure i understood.
so how does one go from the rigor of engineering to becoming "feral"?
i ask cuz i'm periodically having trouble adjusting to FIRE. April 1, 2007 was my voluntary FIRE date.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:21 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
To me, it looked awful! If the driver was uninjured, then I am really glad about that.
She had some mild whiplash, but made a full recovery. Her neck still bothers her a little sometimes, but all-in-all, she's fine. She was terribly startled when it happened though. I just wanted to throttle the kid who hit her. Honestly, I have no idea how the kid could've been so stupid. It was a flat, straight, dry stretch of road on a crystal-clear morning (as you can see in the photos), and she was stopped behind a HUGE YELLOW SCHOOL BUS, WITH ITS LIGHTS FLASHING! How do you not see that
Old 03-05-2008, 02:55 PM   #38
Administrator

Pretty amazing! Maybe he was a new driver and got his foot tangled up in the accelerator somehow. At any rate, I am glad she is OK. I had whiplash once, and it's no fun but in my case it did eventually go away.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote