Join Early Retirement Today

Retirement calculator
Old 09-17-2018, 11:47 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Retirement calculator

Saw this retirement calculator posted on Reddit and checked it out. Anyone ever used it before?

It's located here: www.flexibleretirementplanner.com

It's monte carlo based. What I liked about it is that I could input my pensions which all start at different ages including some scenarios where the pension started off non cola, then picked up a cola later.

Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2018, 12:20 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Use it all the time.

As you said, easy to model different scenarios - right now I've got 4 different ones loaded.

I downloaded it - runs via Java on locally my Mac.

ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:26 PM   #3

Java may be an issue with this. Some tech gurus do not recommend one has Java installed on their computer for security reasons. I do not know whether any of these issues have been resolved, but I would disable Java on your browser(s) until I knew better.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:57 PM   #4

I use it, I found it helpful for income/expenses that only last a certain number of years and shuffling money around. I especially appreciate the Detailed View with "Show More Details" expanded as that shows RMDs and each type of account separately, so I can be sure I have enough funds accessible before 59.5.

Roth conversion: ($45K a year from age 45-55), I set up 3 lines with start/stop years:
1. Tax Deferred Savings of -$15K
2. Tax Free Savings +15K
3. Other Expenses for additional tax cost.

HSA funding out of my taxable accounts which I plan to do until 50
1. Taxable Savings (-$3450) w/ inflation turned on
2. Tax Free Savings (+3450) w/ inflation turned on
3. Other Expense (State only taxes as it will be LTCG).

I also adjusted the Settings so that it always funded at least 85% of my spending level and you can specify what order to take funds.

Its not the only calculator I use, but its been useful for me.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:14 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Echo what other have said. One of my tools that I use. It was my only tool for a while, but I needed more help with conversions and taxes than it offered so I have added i-orp to my stable. I don't use firecalc except to verify my FRP outputs. My goto these days is my spreadsheet that I have developed that has everything but taxes in it.
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Java may be an issue with this. Some tech gurus do not recommend one has Java installed on their computer for security reasons. I do not know whether any of these issues have been resolved, but I would disable Java on your browser(s) until I knew better.
Not running it in the browser, only locally on the computer.

Java/Flash/Shockwave are all disabled in my web browser.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:06 PM   #7

I use it as one of many calculators. It provides flexibility and reasonable results which can be interpreted.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:58 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

FRP is my favorite retirement calculator. I like that it stores my entries so I can easily go back later to test different scenarios.

I also like that I can enter multiple "additional entries" and select the ones I want to use. For instance, I have a Social Security entry for each age between 62 and 67 for my wife and I, then I can just select the desired age to see how it affects our retirement plan.

I rarely use Firecalc except as a second opinion for the results I get in FRP.

I've tried I-Orp but didn't find it very useful. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I prefer FRP.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:13 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I have not used any 'retirement calculator'.

I have been on a military pension for 17 years. Initially, my wife was working as we got our home built and running. She 'retired' 2 years ago, right now her pension is tiny, but when she reaches 65 then her pension goes up a lot.

Our budget allows us to invest a bit every month.

We both have a few more years to go before we are eligible for SS.

Our cost-of-living is about 80% of my pension. Once we both get SS our living expenses will be closer to maybe 50% of our pension/SS incomes.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:16 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
FRP is my favorite retirement calculator. I like that it stores my entries so I can easily go back later to test different scenarios.

I also like that I can enter multiple "additional entries" and select the ones I want to use. For instance, I have a Social Security entry for each age between 62 and 67 for my wife and I, then I can just select the desired age to see how it affects our retirement plan.

I rarely use Firecalc except as a second opinion for the results I get in FRP.

I've tried I-Orp but didn't find it very useful. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I prefer FRP.
I could have written the exact same thing as above. +1 for FRP. But I always use Firecalc too just to get a second opinion that the green light is really green.

Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote