Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-24-2016, 12:32 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For the adventurous, a travel blog can bring in money via advertisement. You share your interesting stories, and make a bit of money to help offset your cost. Everybody wins.

PS. Many bloggers do not endorse or push any merchandise, though they can. I think the Web site just pops random "stuff" onto the screen. I read quite a few blogs, but never buy anything. I am obviously in the minority.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2016, 12:32 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Any photo or video on the "monkey bike" trip? I am most interested to see.
Sure, happy to oblige with photos.

And here's the official blog for the insane folks who put on the show, crazy Brits, of course.

The Jibber — The Adventurists

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:37 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Ah, I like it even more when there's a narrative to go with the photos. Thumbs up!
Old 05-24-2016, 12:38 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Sounds pretty awesome but my financial reaction is "wow that's a big piece of capital equipment on wheels to maintain. Glad I'm not in charge of maintenance (or paying for it!)."

Here's a couple doing something similar at the end of the year, except at a more respectable 35 and 31 and with a portfolio just shy of a million bucks. ThinkSaveRetire.com - Think hard. Save fast. Retire early. I think working a little here and there along the way is acceptable to them if they need to top up the portfolio. Of course they are in a trailer and not a class A motorhome so their ongoing expenses will probably be lower.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:47 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

If you are talking about the couple in the OP article, their old class A would not be expensive at all. Yet, when these MHs diesel engines fail, the cost of repair runs $10-20K. But on the other hand, I have read stories of diesel pickups pulling trailers failing, and costing the same amount of money.

Or, you can get a used but decent class C with a gas engine for $20K to $30K, and toss it if it has a major and expensive engine failure. I bought mine at 25K miles, and it's up close to 60K miles now. So far, put nothing into it but gasoline and oil changes. Knock on wood.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:39 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
A couple of Minnesotans. These folks have a bit more guts than me, but it is certainly early retirement.
Senator... I can't wait till you're full time ER to see all the cool stuff you find!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 05-27-2016, 08:44 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
A couple of Minnesotans. These folks have a bit more guts than me, but it is certainly early retirement.
This was our original plan. Since were had been very familiar with state and National Parks, and during my final years of employment, and traveling country wide, my "off" times were spent in visiting public parks... we were very familiar with the do's and don'ts. Back in the mid 80's, overnight was $5 and w/electricity, another $2. The idea was to become campground hosts for weeks or months at a time when we found places we liked.
We could see our way clear to live on $20K/year, which we figured we could afford. (about $40K today).

We were 50 at the time, and the kids were through school. I had worked my way out of my job, as my last responsibility was to close 2400 stores. (after that... nothing)... Instead, I went into business for myself for 5 years, until the cancer scare.

It was really a toss up at the time. To be vagabonds, or to stay and finish building enough equity to retire normally. Ended up with not quite enough to be independently wealthy, but, have managed a happy, if frugal life.

At age 50+, there was always the mental safety cushion of being able to go back to the land of the employed.

Big part of all of this... My Dear Wife... who supported and went along with all this.