Retirement comes early for these 20-something RV-travelers

Senator

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
A couple of Minnesotans. These folks have a bit more guts than me, but it is certainly early retirement.

...But the truth was that we no longer wanted to work 50 to 60 hours a week, only dreaming of our upcoming vacations, and hating all the days in between. We wanted to spend more time with each other than our busy work schedules would allow, which was less than one day a week on average. Years of planning and scheming brought us to our motorhome idea.

The money aspect is a tricky one. We have been able to pick up some contracted work along the way, and we’ve dabbled in jewelry making, soap making and photography. We are using this experience as an opportunity to explore what makes us happy because the only “jobs” we want are ones that we are passionate about.

Retirement comes early for these 20-something RV-travelers – Twin Cities

I wonder what they are doing for health insurance and health care. One minor incident could wipe them out if they don't have health insurance.

A couple of Minnesotans. These folks have a bit more guts than me, but it is certainly early retirement.

I think it's temporary retirement. With no money (to speak of) and an aging RV, this adventure will come to an end sooner than later.

No. No, no, no. This is not 'retirement' despite the headline...

We spent that summer working and saving up as much money as we could. We wanted to be able to travel for a good amount of time before having to find an income again.

Nor is it financially independent. It's more like a gap year, or location independence.

The money aspect is a tricky one. We have been able to pick up some contracted work along the way, and we’ve dabbled in jewelry making, soap making and photography.

It makes our own plans seem downright sane! :(

Good for them. They are having adventures and can plug back into The Matrix later.

Fast forward 40 years, and they are now in their 60s. Will they be like the subjects of the video "Broken Eggs" (or rather "No Eggs") in a recently revived thread?

I don't think this is permanent. It's like kids years ago backpacking in Europe for a year, that's not retirement. I call it temporary absence from real full time employment. Good for them. I wish I did more traveling when I was younger.

"We were young, determined, skilled and couldn’t think of a single reason why this wouldn’t work for us. We didn’t consider all the other young, determined and skilled people who might be out there, too."

Reminds me of those toward the other end of the age spectrum whose plan is to work through their seventies, seemingly oblivious to all those other folks holding the same plan.

I wonder what they are doing for health insurance and health care. One minor incident could wipe them out if they don't have health insurance.

In Minnesota, if you are low income, healthcare is free or nearly so. My DGF is going to rely on a BCBS policy that will cover most everything for less than $20 a month. $0 deductible. Healthcare, dental, vision, pharmacy and up to 6 ambulance rides per month.

couple of thoughts:

with the new overtime rules effective December 1, they could be making bank at 50 to 60 hours a week.

they are missing the most important part of life to be saving

I wouldn't call this "retirement" they are eeking out an existence

Senator, is she finding providers who will accept her version of health insurance? Although it can be cheap, a lot of providers in more states than not won't accept ACA bronze plans

I don't think this is permanent. It's like kids years ago backpacking in Europe for a year, that's not retirement. I call it temporary absence from real full time employment. Good for them. I wish I did more traveling when I was younger.

Yes, indeed, good for them! :D There's enough room for all kinds, in this world. Whenever I've met young folks like them in our travels, I've emerged from the conversations refreshed and relieved that they are enjoying the wanderlust while still young enough to appreciate it so fully.

Yes, indeed, good for them! :D There's enough room for all kinds, in this world. Whenever I've met young folks like them in our travels, I've emerged from the conversations refreshed and relieved that they are enjoying the wanderlust while still young enough to appreciate it so fully.

+2 Youth is only wasted on those who forget to me young (like me). I was always [-]a bit[/-] a lot money hungry and missed out on that freedom in my 20s. I encourage all my young relatives and the young staff I meet in bars (ahem) to make the most of life and live it. Old people can earn money.. they can't bungy jump and ride bikes across deserts.

The couple in the OP's article are not unique. When I started RV'ing, I searched for and found a lot of blogs. One was called "Escape the 9-to-5 before 25".

This young couple were professional financial workers in NYC. They could not have saved much money when they took off in a 22-ft class C RV to wander across the US in 2010. They estimated that their expenses ran about $30K/year. They took on some short-term work here and there, but did not elaborate on how much they brought in.

After 2 years, they announced a divorce suddenly in 2012. It appeared to be in amicable terms. The girl went off on some other activities like modeling, dancing, public speaking, building a Web site, etc... The guy still hangs around in his RV and, according to his own blog which is updated only a few times a year, is volunteering as a campground host in a national forest campground. The gal continued the blogging for a couple of years before stopping the update.

This couple did a lot of interesting things while they were together. Their blog while living together is still online.

Senator, is she finding providers who will accept her version of health insurance? Although it can be cheap, a lot of providers in more states than not won't accept ACA bronze plans

From what I see, it's the same providers that accept the BCBS insurance we have from the Megacorp. MN has money to burn. We are one of the highest taxed states in terms of income and sales tax.

So, in an RV situation, she would have no trouble getting care. (Once we would get married, then my income counts)

No. No, no, no. This is not 'retirement' despite the headline...

Nor is it financially independent. It's more like a gap year, or location independence.

It makes our own plans seem downright sane! :(

Indeed. It's what's referred to as "eating your young." It's been said that your time is your money is your life. In life, you can spend either your time or your money, which are interchangeable, and in doing so you spend your life. Also in life, you always and only get out what you put in.

Currently, these young adults are spending their futures by "taking out/making withdrawals on" their pasts (which consist of minimal education and experience), and they will pay for it later. We are in a winner takes all economy now, and the margin for error--personally, professionally, financially--has been substantially reduced (if not extinguished, for some). I concur with NW-Bound's post (#6) above.

Last edited:
+2 Youth is only wasted on those who forget to me young (like me). I was always [-]a bit[/-] a lot money hungry and missed out on that freedom in my 20s. I encourage all my young relatives and the young staff I meet in bars (ahem) to make the most of life and live it. Old people can earn money.. they can't bungy jump and ride bikes across deserts.

Perhaps as we move out of middle age into full-on curmudgeon status of the elders, we'll get tougher and more judgmental about such profligacies of youth. :D

Until then, keep encouraging, and don't forget you can ride bikes across the desert at 53, according to DH. Who admittedly spent a week on the couch after returning from said motorbike adventure in Morocco earlier this month.

Carry on, but skip the bungee jumping! :flowers:

Any photo or video on the "monkey bike" trip? I am most interested to see.

Perhaps as we move out of middle age into full-on curmudgeon status of the elders, we'll get tougher and more judgmental about such profligacies of youth. :D

Until then, keep encouraging, and don't forget you can ride bikes across the desert at 53, according to DH. Who admittedly spent a week on the couch after returning from said motorbike adventure in Morocco earlier this month.

Carry on, but skip the bungee jumping! :flowers:

Ahh, so true ! I am looking forward to getting old and having the biggest lawn possible so I can tell those damn kids to stay OFFFFF !!!!!! lol

I second the need for footage of Morocco... tell Don to stop being lazy, get off the couch and feed the viewing needs of us ne'er do wells !!

Bungee was an example only. I squeak in fear when the elastic on my bananas breaks unexpectedly... :LOL:

For the adventurous, a travel blog can bring in money via advertisement. You share your interesting stories, and make a bit of money to help offset your cost. Everybody wins.

PS. Many bloggers do not endorse or push any merchandise, though they can. I think the Web site just pops random "stuff" onto the screen. I read quite a few blogs, but never buy anything. I am obviously in the minority.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 13096349_1802674936631166_7107381531792148680_n.jpg
    13096349_1802674936631166_7107381531792148680_n.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 13096210_1802209473344379_5556759268157706296_n.jpg
    13096210_1802209473344379_5556759268157706296_n.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 13076699_1803522946546365_4104174240586037312_n.jpg
    13076699_1803522946546365_4104174240586037312_n.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 21
  • 13063140_10154187322673338_656999587646379111_o.jpg
    13063140_10154187322673338_656999587646379111_o.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 23
Ah, I like it even more when there's a narrative to go with the photos. Thumbs up!

Sounds pretty awesome but my financial reaction is "wow that's a big piece of capital equipment on wheels to maintain. Glad I'm not in charge of maintenance (or paying for it!)."

Here's a couple doing something similar at the end of the year, except at a more respectable 35 and 31 and with a portfolio just shy of a million bucks. ThinkSaveRetire.com - Think hard. Save fast. Retire early. I think working a little here and there along the way is acceptable to them if they need to top up the portfolio. Of course they are in a trailer and not a class A motorhome so their ongoing expenses will probably be lower.

If you are talking about the couple in the OP article, their old class A would not be expensive at all. Yet, when these MHs diesel engines fail, the cost of repair runs $10-20K. But on the other hand, I have read stories of diesel pickups pulling trailers failing, and costing the same amount of money.

Or, you can get a used but decent class C with a gas engine for $20K to $30K, and toss it if it has a major and expensive engine failure. I bought mine at 25K miles, and it's up close to 60K miles now. So far, put nothing into it but gasoline and oil changes. Knock on wood.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom