Join Early Retirement Today

Retirement "dry run".
Old 01-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Retirement "dry run".

For the past 18 months I've been very carefully monitoring my spending and living off my retirement budget. I've had to make adjustments for commuting costs that will be less in retirement and medical insurance premiums that I'll have to pay myself in ER. But I know both of those costs and I'm now confident that I can live on the $36k/year that I've set as my ER budget......because I've been doing it for the past year and a half.

I'd recommend that prior to ER you live for at least a year on your anticipated post ER income as it will give you a lot of confidence.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I agree. I have been doing this for several years. Having a professional corporation makes this easy to do since you must decide how much to pay yourself.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #3

Always good to take a trial run before making the final plunge. I did this as well, even dropped down to the survival budget to see how it work.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

IMO this was a wise thing to try, nun. I did this too, in my case for many years before retiring*.

If someone spends more while working than they plan to spend after retirement, they will get used to a higher lifestyle. I think that cutting back on one's lifestyle can be hard to do, so often it is preferable to avoid the necessity to cut back.

*(In fact, while working I spent much less than I planned to spend in retirement because I started saving for retirement relatively late in life.)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
IMO this was a wise thing to try, nun. I did this too, in my case for many years before retiring*.

If someone spends more while working than they plan to spend after retirement, they will get used to a higher lifestyle. I think that cutting back on one's lifestyle can be hard to do, so often it is preferable to avoid the necessity to cut back.

*(In fact, while working I spent much less than I planned to spend in retirement because I started saving for retirement relatively late in life.)
I've always spent far less than I earned, but as ER has approached and I've paid off things like the mortgage I've been able to make a good estimate of what I'll be spending in ER. Its basically what I'm spending now, but it's good to track everything and get an idea of the fluctuations in monthly spending as insurance or heating bills come in. Consciously limiting yourself to your ER budget for a year or so gives you the confidence that you won't need the extra income that comes with a regular pay check.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

We started our dry run 3 years before retirement to be sure. It's been discussed here several times before, and I think it would be a big mistake to do otherwise, at least for a year before retiring. YMMV

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We started our dry run 3 years before retirement to be sure. It's been discussed here several times before, and I think it would be a big mistake to do otherwise, at least for a year before retiring. YMMV
I did a two year dry run. Gave me much more peace of mind than just trying to calculate it. A one year dry run would be one of the first things I'd suggest to someone considering ER.
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
gone traveling

Trial runs seem like a pretty impossible task to calculate if you're planning on ER'ing to a lower cost of living area though.
bo_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo_knows View Post
Trial runs seem like a pretty impossible task to calculate if you're planning on ER'ing to a lower cost of living area though.
I'm also having a hard time with the tax math in figuring out expenses post ER.

Might give that another try.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #10

I guess we've been trial running.
We've been tracking expenses closely for a few years.
I based my retirement budget estimates on current spending, less payroll deductions and retirement saving contributions, then added in extra to cover health care.

The extra money we're putting into house projects (new windows being done over time, new kitchen last year) are still included- since we hope to travel in retirement. Hoping to get the big ticket house stuff out of the way now, so we can spend the equivalent money on fun stuff in retirement.

Quicken makes it very easy to check how you're doing on your budget.
rodi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I guess we've been trial running.
We've been tracking expenses closely for a few years.
I based my retirement budget estimates on current spending, less payroll deductions and retirement saving contributions, then added in extra to cover health care.

The extra money we're putting into house projects (new windows being done over time, new kitchen last year) are still included- since we hope to travel in retirement. Hoping to get the big ticket house stuff out of the way now, so we can spend the equivalent money on fun stuff in retirement.
This is similar to what we're doing, tracking and estimating. I've got decent data for the past 4-5 years, and as we get closer and the numbers don't change that much it's reassuring. We expect to spend about the same amount, or maybe a little more, in retirement as we do now.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #12

No dry run here.

We've been tracking expenses for several years and our expectation is that post-retirement expenses will be more or less the same (although subject to an inflationary increase) with reductions in some areas being offset by increases in other areas.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I'm also having a hard time with the tax math in figuring out expenses post ER.

Might give that another try.
The tendency is to overestimate taxes, I know I did (posted a few days ago). However, I also expect taxes to increase on all of us in the decades ahead, just my POV.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
No dry run here.

We've been tracking expenses for several years and our expectation is that post-retirement expenses will be more or less the same (although subject to an inflationary increase) with reductions in some areas being offset by increases in other areas.
No dry run here either, other than I have been tracking expenses for the last 2 years. As we have been segueing into ER, with my wife being off work for 5 years now, and myself working part-time the last 7 years, the lifestyle should be about the same, hence the expenses should remain somewhat constant.

By the way, I cannot see how one can spend exactly the same amount each year. Some years you spend on your home. Some others, you take some extra travels. As long as the expenses zig-zag around a predetermined WR, what's the worry?
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #15
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
No dry run here.

+1... That's was pretty much my thinking too. Although, I guess you could say we were on a dry run for 10+ years before we retired by tracking (and understanding) our expenses.
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:15 AM   #16

I agree. I have been monitoring my expenses since joining this FIRE website a couple of years ago. Before this, I had no idea what I was spending per year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
I'd recommend that prior to ER you live for at least a year on your anticipated post ER income as it will give you a lot of confidence.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:50 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
For the past 18 months I've been very carefully monitoring my spending and living off my retirement budget. I've had to make adjustments for commuting costs that will be less in retirement and medical insurance premiums that I'll have to pay myself in ER. But I know both of those costs and I'm now confident that I can live on the $36k/year that I've set as my ER budget......because I've been doing it for the past year and a half.

This sounds like a very good idea. In my case, assuming two things...that I do get to retire at age 60 and that my household income doesn't greatly increase in the next 13+ years I have to work, when I retire at age 60, I will be living on less than I make, but 2 years later if my wife and I decide to take Social Security, that will bump us up to MORE than we make now and perhaps even more than we will be making at the end of our careers.

Of course Social Security could be less than I expect now, or I might delay SS payments (I don't think so though), or the market might not do even as modestly as I need it to.
LeavingOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I also tracked expenses for a couple years prior to retirement to make sure I could live on what I projected my retirement income to be. I took a half step though in retirement, by working a part time job. After 3 years of this I am about to wind that down, and do nothing. I wanted to make doubly sure I was correct before I quit altogether. The fear of insurance costs exploding on me worried me some, but after 3 years and only $4 a month increase, I feel that it will be ok. Increasing my savings stash through this job, has not been a bad thing either for me.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I tracked also, but there are so many variables that it really did not work. An increase in travel, and medical expenses were a biggie for us. Both of us had major dental work after retirement. Aging can be expensive.
rothlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Doesn't work the same way if you plan to move to a higher cost of living location. But we've ALWAYS tracked everything, so we have 20+ years. We'll do another 6 weeks in NY this summer and see whether our NY data from a couple of years ago (the % greater that we will spend) still holds true.
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote