Join Early Retirement Today

Retirement For Sale
Old 07-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Retirement For Sale

This is sort of a spin-off of the $4,000 a month thread.

Like snowflakes, everyone's retirement lifestyle is unique - and uniquely priced. Further, I would venture to guess most, or at least most on this forum, are happy with their retirement lifestyle.

So with that lead in, sell those of us who aren't yet retired on your unique retirement lifestyle. Tell us about the features and benefits. Address the negatives, but gloss over them and figure out how to spin them into positives. Tell us why we should choose to "buy" your retirement lifestyle over other options.

For the purpose of this exercise, put yourself into full sales mode. No hedging. No, "what I've chosen is right for me and may not be right for anyone else." Pretend some sucker out there might actually pay you double what you pay for your retirement lifestyle if your sales pitch is convincing enough.

And of course, if all of this seems like too much trouble feel free to ignore this thread
intent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would much prefer to accurately detail my lifestyle, warts and all. It goes against my nature to do the hard (and IMO dishonest) sell.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #3

When I left my second local government job I returned to consulting engineering, which I had done several times before. I quickly remembered that at the upper levels it's all about marketing. Hence I quit, and selling anyone anything does not pass my current test of any activity: If it doesn't make me smile I don't do it!
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #4

"Nobody lies on their deathbeds wishing they'd spent more time at the office." Just imagine every day would be like those during your time-offs (week ends, holidays, vacations).
Old 07-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #5

I don't get it.
I chose what works for me. All the other snowflakes will choose what works for them.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I don't get it.
I chose what works for me. All the other snowflakes will choose what works for them.
+1

Why would I want to 'sell' anyone on my choice? They might be miserable with my plan, I might be miserable with theirs.

I don't get ANY of these threads about comparing how much others spend, or save, or invest or anything. Do what's right for you. If you want to know to seek out ideas, fine - but just to compare? Makes no sense to me.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #7

Now the world don't move to the beat of just one drum.
What might be right for you might not be right for some.

Sorry, that's all I got.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by intent View Post

Like snowflakes, everyone's retirement lifestyle is unique - and uniquely priced. Further, I would venture to guess most, or at least most on this forum, are happy with their retirement lifestyle.

So with that lead in, sell those of us who aren't yet retired on your unique retirement lifestyle. Tell us about the features and benefits. Address the negatives, but gloss over them and figure out how to spin them into positives. Tell us why we should choose to "buy" your retirement lifestyle over other options.

For the purpose of this exercise, put yourself into full sales mode. No hedging. No, "what I've chosen is right for me and may not be right for anyone else." Pretend some sucker out there might actually pay you double what you pay for your retirement lifestyle if your sales pitch is convincing enough.

And of course, if all of this seems like too much trouble feel free to ignore this thread
404 Error: requested information not found on this server-- redirect to:
International living - Live, Retire and Invest Overseas.
(I suspect their margins are a bit higher than 100%.)
dunkelblau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
+1

I don't get ANY of these threads about comparing how much others spend, or save, or invest or anything. Do what's right for you. If you want to know to seek out ideas, fine - but just to compare? Makes no sense to me.

-ERD50
I like to read them, just out of curiosity. In my case, I'm planning on going out pretty early, and living off of as little as $30-40K per year. So I guess I like to see some validation that others can do it. And I've learned a long time ago that nobody in the "real world" can relate to me and my situation. So at least here, I can read the stories, fantasies, etc, of other early-retirees and early-retiree hopefuls.

But, I'm not going to try to sell anybody on what I've done with my life, or what I plan to do. However, I just went outside and cleaned out the pump and filter for the fish pond, and got more satisfaction from that than I did from anything that happened in my job in recent memory. So, I guess that gives a little insight to my attitude about my job right now.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
In my case, I'm planning on going out pretty early, and living off of as little as $30-40K per year.
$30-40K? That's a veritable fortune

Actually, there are many here who live on that figure - as well as those at both income range extremes.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I don't get it.
+1

After a lifetime of long hours of work and self denial, in retirement I can do what I want to, sleep when I want to, and enjoy my remaining years in whatever way I wish to enjoy them. It is now time to fully immerse myself in all that delayed gratification from those earlier years, because there is no longer any reason to delay it. "Address the negatives"? Pul-eeze. There haven't been any for me to address at all. These have been the best years of my life.

But if somebody else doesn't feel comfortable retiring, then that is their prerogative. Who am I to tell someone else how to live? We all do the best we can to live our lives fully and in a way we will not regret later on.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I never sell anything without getting a commission. How much are you paying?
Old 07-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, that didn't quite go over like I had hoped

I was thinking this would turn into something along the lines of, "You could spend your days doing[insert interest/hobby here], live in a [insert size/type/location of residence here], and eat [insert typical eating habits here] ... and this fabulous lifestyle would only cost you $X/month."

As a not-yet-retired person I wasn't really looking for comparisons so much as real-life experiences as to what's possible.

It was, admittedly, perhaps too much of an assignment to ask of a group who can do whatever you like all day
Old 07-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I was thinking this would turn into something along the lines of, "You could spend your days doing[(insert interest/hobby here], live in a [insert size/type/location of residence here], and eat [insert typical eating habits hear] ... and this fabulous lifestyle would only cost you $X/month."

As a not-yet-retired person I wasn't really looking for comparisons so much as real-life experiences as to what's possible.

It was, admittedly, perhaps too much of an assignment to ask of a group who can do whatever you like all day
You mean, something like...

"You could spend your days playing video games, reading, checking the forum, and shopping, and then making up for all this sloth by working out hard at an uncrowded, well equipped, luxurious gym, followed by afternoons exploring and cruising about on pleasure drives in your new-ish top-of-the-line Toyota Venza with your honey whom you adore.... while living in a paid off 1600 square foot updated 1970's brick ranch house with granite, brand new flooring and paint, an abundance of charming architectural details, and 5 sets of French doors, in an extremely quiet and safe suburban neighborhood, eating astonishingly delicious Cajun/Creole food at New Orleans' fabled restaurants every single day... and this fabulous lifestyle would only cost you $2,000/month plus income tax and medical insurance.*

*I would include the latter two but they vary so much from person to person that it would be meaningless to include them.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

"You could spend your days playing video games, reading, checking the forum, and shopping, and then making up for all this sloth by working out hard at an uncrowded, well equipped, luxurious gym, followed by afternoons exploring and cruising about on pleasure drives in your new-ish top-of-the-line Toyota Venza with your honey whom you adore.... while living in a 1600 square foot updated 1970's brick ranch house with granite and 5 sets of French doors, in an extremely quiet and safe suburban neighborhood, eating astonishingly delicious Cajun/Creole food at New Orleans fabled restaurants every single day... and this fabulous lifestyle would only cost you $2,000/month plus income tax and medical insurance.*

*I would include the latter two but they vary so much from person to person that it would be meaningless to include them.
Precisely! Thank you for playing
Old 07-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #17

Quote:

...and this fabulous lifestyle would only cost you $2,000/month plus income tax and medical insurance.*
Holy Chrysler that sounds tempting! I think it's time to move!
Old 07-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #18

Quote:

"You could spend your days playing video games, reading, checking the forum, and shopping, and then making up for all this sloth by working out hard at an uncrowded, well equipped, luxurious gym, followed by afternoons exploring and cruising about on pleasure drives in your new-ish top-of-the-line Toyota Venza with your honey whom you adore.... while living in a paid off 1600 square foot updated 1970's brick ranch house with granite, brand new flooring and paint, an abundance of charming architectural details, and 5 sets of French doors, in an extremely quiet and safe suburban neighborhood, eating astonishingly delicious Cajun/Creole food at New Orleans' fabled restaurants every single day... and this fabulous lifestyle would only cost you $2,000/month plus income tax and medical insurance.*

I'm moving in next door to you W2R!
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I was thinking this would turn into something along the lines of, "You could spend your days doing[insert interest/hobby here], live in a [insert size/type/location of residence here], and eat [insert typical eating habits here] ... and this fabulous lifestyle would only cost you $X/month."

OK, I'll play.

I have told of my recent hospital stay for a major surgery. As a retiree who can do whatever he wants, I spent 3 weeks prior to the hospital check-in to make an RV run to New Orleans/LaFayette/Baton Rouge for a bit of sightseeing and some food before facing the scalpel. And then, after the surgery, for convalescence, I have been lounging around the home, eating and sleeping any time I want.

Compared to a patient who's still working and has to schedule all the health care activities around the work schedule, and has to deal with short-term/long-term disability time off, I've got it made. My lifestyle is not too expensive, but cheap it is not.

In sickness or in health, having the freedom to do whatever one wants is great. Of course I had almost the same freedom when I was working part-time on my own terms, and quite often at home on my own schedule. Still, I would have an obligation to deliver what I promised, according to some schedule. Now I am completely free.

It is not fun to be this sick, but if one still has to work that makes it that much more miserable. Of course, our children are also grown and that really helps, but that has nothing to do with ER. I am looking forward to be able to take my RV out for another spin.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Precisely! Thank you for playing
You're welcome, and I forgot to mention Mardi Gras, jazz, and all the rest of the "perks" of living here! I also forgot that it includes almost continual Weight Watchers membership, to make up for the great food here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Holy Chrysler that sounds tempting! I think it's time to move!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post
I'm moving in next door to you W2R!
Drat, I gave away our secret lifestyle! Oh well, come one come all. You will have to find your own honey to drive around in the afternoons with, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Compared to a patient who's still working and has to schedule all the health care activities around the work schedule, and has to deal with short-term/long-term disability time off, I've got it made. My lifestyle is not too expensive, but cheap it is not.
Being that sick is never fun, or cheap, and it is so sad that you have been going through this. I hope your recovery is as fast and complete as possible and that soon, life can return to more or less normal for you.