Join Early Retirement Today

Retirement Formula based on the value of your house?
Old 03-20-2019, 12:37 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...ome-2019-03-20

"Here’s the idea
1. Take the market value of your house, and multiply by 0.3. That is the income you need in retirement.

2. Take that number, and divide by 0.04. That is the value of the assets you need to retire with."

Does anyone think this makes any sense at all?

Does anyone manage their spending based on the current market value of their house? I don't think I know anyone like that.

Did anyone else laugh wen they read that this "elegant" solution came from someone at Wells Fargo Advisors?

Does repeating "The house drives everything." three times make it true?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2019, 12:48 PM   #2

Oddly enough, both 1 and 2 prove accurate for us.

However, the house we lived in for 30+ years, prior to moving a few years ago, would have totally thrown this number off. That house was worth 1/3 of this one, and I can't imagine living off 1/3 what we are now.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:52 PM   #3

Interesting.
For #1 it comes out higher than what I need, but close to the number FireCalc says I can max out to.
For #2 it comes out low to what I have.
In both cases, its sort of in the ballpark.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:55 PM   #4

Not anywhere close.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:59 PM   #5

Wow. I'm just speechless . So many holes. But I guess it served its purpose by getting my attention. I actually read the article. A sad reflection of what people will do to promote a new angle on a relatively simple problem to solve. A weak correlation argument that has so many variables that it is idiotic.

Personally I have way too much house and a lakehouse to boot. Although expensive it does not fit at all in the parameters established by the author. I do not have the other associated expenses. As a huge DIY'er the expenses are minimal, taxes in my area are moderate, and I don't partake of the activities associated with where I live. To establish a guideline like this much more ludicrous than the 80-120% replacement of your preretirement income stuff these overpaid geniuses spew.

By the formula I'd better go back to work for another 10 years. As usual you'd better figure it out for yourself.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:19 PM   #6

Interesting #2 is based on assets, not net worth so silent of debt/liabilities. I guess that gets caught as part of costs in #1.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:31 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

#1 is "in the ballpark" for us.

#2 is simply the "4% rule" (as discussed in the article) if one assumes "invested" in front of "assets".
SevenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:39 PM   #8

If you live in a HCOLA, these numbers can be waaaayyyyy off! Having just had our house appraised, I can honestly say we do not need (or come close to spending!!) any where near #1.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:40 PM   #9

I watch out if anything coming from MarketWatch. Click bait central.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:41 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

#1 is roughly 4 times my annual expense total. And I don't live in a fancy house.

In fairness, in a normal (i.e. non-California) area, my house probably would be worth about 25-35% of it's current value and the estimate might make some sense.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:45 PM   #11

LBYM makes those formulas invalid.
Instead of buying a house that is 3-4x annual income (or whatever the banker/realtor recommended ratios are these days) I paid 1.2x.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:48 PM   #12

Too many variables. Is the house paid for? Does it have a mortgage?

What are the housing prices in your area? If someone has a $1M paid off home in California (a very modest home in Silicon Valley), they need nowhere near $300K a year to live, or $7.5M in assets to draw from.

Are you planning to retire in place? Are you going to move?

Do you intend a simple "homebody" lifestyle? Are you going to travel more?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sheesh....
Old 03-20-2019, 01:51 PM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

Sheesh....

....agreed. Not even in the ballpark. At least for me.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:53 PM   #14

Isn't the photo in the article a picture of the Brady Bunch house?

I agree with the title of the article that it's "Opinion", not fact.

Quote:
Letís say you are fairly well off, and you live in a house whose market value is $1.4 million... So take $1.4 million, and multiply by 0.3, which gives you $420,000. That is the income you are going to need in retirement. You probably think that number is high, and that you can get by on less than $420,000. Let me tell you why you canít.
Lots of pretty ordinary houses in NY and CA would command that price, but how many of their owners earn 420k or anywhere close to it, even while w*rking?

That article reads as if it's based on nothing more than conjecture, but I bet the author was paid something for it. I wonder how I might get some of that action?
Old 03-20-2019, 02:01 PM   #15

#1 is fairly close.
#2 is reasonably above what we have, but house is paid for in cash, which probably affects the equation.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:07 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just so stupid. What's wrong with estimating your actual expenses to figure out how much income and how much in assets you need? Why the separation from reality?

This "method" is way off for me, btw.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:11 PM   #17

I saw this in John Maudlin's newsletter. Totally crazy analysis. Talk about FA wanting you to work forever for more assets for them to manage.
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:16 PM   #18

A) It's marketwatch.

B) The author is an idiot.

not worth the energy of clicking
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:23 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ha ha - including taxes we spend close the value of our house each year!

So - we need a house 3X more expensive?

I don't see how anything like this could apply across the country where real estate values vary so widely!

I understand where the 0.04 comes from. Once you establish your needed income, you divide by 4% (which is 25x spending) to get to your retirement portfolio that will support a 4% withdrawal. Assuming you will use 4%.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:38 PM   #20

How do I count pension in the assets? I would need fewer assets than someone without a pension, wouldn't I?

And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote