Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Welcome back, Khan! That must be some pretty extensive dental work. I am having an implant done.
Welcome Back, Khan!

W2R - When does the implant procedure start on your implant?

For me, the entire process took about a year from start to end. The waiting did take some patience on my part, but I love the result.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #22
Administrator

Easysurfer, I had the bone graft done on December 5th, and that went well. The implant surgery is scheduled in the last week in March. Then, of course, there will be more waiting. One step at a time. Once it is finished, hopefully I will have it for a very long time, so it is worth the wait to me. It is so encouraging to read how happy you are with the your implant.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

W2R, that's good you are past the bone graft. For me, I didn't much care for the blood during the graft. (My dentist extracted what was left of my old tooth, then did the graft all in one session). Other than that, piece of cake.

With my implant, sometimes I'd chew on it (for example eating an apple). My first reaction, out of habit when I only had a crown on what was left of my old tooth, is to avoid that...but so far so good. The implant has held up just fine.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
Yep, monthly withdrawals adjusted once a year works fine for me.
Same here. My TSP account is down slightly since I retired almost 3 years ago now, due to the monthly withdrawals, but that's not a big deal, since there's no way I will outlive the remainder of it at this rate. It does provide a nice (if small) supplement to my CSRS monthly annuity.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:47 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Ouch! Speaking of dental stuff...I need a root canal & crown right now. I'm trying to hold out till the first of the year because my new dental insurance doesn't kick in until January 1st. That will cut the cost in half for both procedures, and then I can get a few other things done throughout the year. Having said that, I'm not sure I can make it till January. The tooth in question wasn't actually hurting previously, but now it's starting to throb a little here & there, especially noticeable at night & when I drink something cold. Also, I'm having to eat only on one side of my mouth, lol. Hope I make it till January!
Have you talked it over with the dentist or his insurance biller? ISTM that right now is a pretty quiet time of the year, but after the holidays a huge number of people will be visiting the dentist to review their behavior and start their New Year's resolutions. Maybe the dentist would rather see you while there's free time, than to see you next year when he's potentially tired & grumpy.

The dentist may be willing to see you now, if for no other reason than a free diagnosis & prep work, and then start the paperwork on 2 Jan.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nords, I'd love to get it done now, but I've got so much going on (same as everybody else, I'm sure) through the end of the year, I just don't see how I can do it until after the holidays. For one thing, the dentist I originally saw, who told me what needed, isnt' a participant in my new insurance, so he won't be the one doing the work. Originally, I thought all I needed was to have the tooth either filled or pulled, so figured a one-time, quick, not-too-expensive office visit. However, now it seems that the particular location of this tooth would cause other problems if it were simply pulled...messing up alignment of other teeth, chewing problems...etc.

Also..this dentist, who actually is an AF Reservist dentist who did my retirement dental physical in 2010, told me he doesn't do root canals on molars (??) but referred me to his buddy who does. Turns out neither of them are on my upcoming new dental plan. So......I'm gonna try & stick it out till after January 8th, when I'll be back in town from visiting family in NC after Christmas. If I'm lucky enough to last that long, the gamble will have paid off in less out of pocket $$ for me via the insurance. If not, then I guess I could find myself digging through the yellow pages looking for somebody to put me out of my dental misery, and paying full price.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
If I'm lucky enough to last that long, the gamble will have paid off in less out of pocket $$ for me via the insurance. If not, then I guess I could find myself digging through the yellow pages looking for somebody to put me out of my dental misery, and paying full price.
A couple of months ago the personal-finance bloggers all seemed to be writing about how they regretted putting off their dental work (impacted wisdom teeth, root canals, anything above a basic cleaning) because prices turned out to be so cheap.

Or because the pain turned out to be so intense... for example,
My Trip to the Dentist without Insurance

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
$1K per crown.
9 lowers, 4 uppers.
Getting old sucks.
But better than yanking all of them.