Join Early Retirement Today

Retirement Funds
Old 12-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Retirement Funds

As of Nov '11,started withdrawing from TSP; as of Oct '12 started withdrawing from SSA.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Khan, it's good to have you back. We missed you for the past 3 months. Hope all is well.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

$13K for teeth, 1K for cat; always maintain your emergency account.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome back, Khan! That must be some pretty extensive dental work. I am having an implant done.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome back, Khan.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Welcome back, Khan! That must be some pretty extensive dental work. I am having an implant done.
+1 on the welcome back to Khan.

Many hopes that both Khan's and W2R's dental work is going or went well. My SO is over a year into what seems to be an implant saga with no end and just came home with a toothache on the other side of her head last night. I think I'll go brush again right now.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
13 crowns, $1K each.
This growing old is a total pain.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

And $1K for cat thyroid surgery.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #9

Ouch! Speaking of dental stuff...I need a root canal & crown right now. I'm trying to hold out till the first of the year because my new dental insurance doesn't kick in until January 1st. That will cut the cost in half for both procedures, and then I can get a few other things done throughout the year. Having said that, I'm not sure I can make it till January. The tooth in question wasn't actually hurting previously, but now it's starting to throb a little here & there, especially noticeable at night & when I drink something cold. Also, I'm having to eat only on one side of my mouth, lol. Hope I make it till January!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
As of Nov '11,started withdrawing from TSP; as of Oct '12 started withdrawing from SSA.

I'm getting close to the time when I'll start drawing some from my TSP. I haven't retired yet, but am thinking more & more about it every day. I had a pretty good year in the TSP, and have more now than I expected at this time. Still down from my target from 4 years ago, but this year really helped. Since I'm CSRS, there will be little SSA for me. Not zero, but not much.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #11

Zero SSA for me, but CSRS is OK. Been drawing down TSP for 4 years now but slowly, it is higher than when I started (not inflation adjusted). Some gets reinvested after tax so withdrawals are just part of tax planning to lessen impact of mandetory distribution in the future.
For $13K might have the work done in some medically safe but otherwise exotic foreign location and got a trip ot of it as a bonus.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Ouch! Speaking of dental stuff...I need a root canal & crown right now. I'm trying to hold out till the first of the year because my new dental insurance doesn't kick in until January 1st. That will cut the cost in half for both procedures, and then I can get a few other things done throughout the year. Having said that, I'm not sure I can make it till January. The tooth in question wasn't actually hurting previously, but now it's starting to throb a little here & there, especially noticeable at night & when I drink something cold. Also, I'm having to eat only on one side of my mouth, lol. Hope I make it till January!
Sorry to hijack the original thread. I am not a dentist, but have had my share of root canals. The pain is most likely from an infection in the root of the tooth. Your dentist will probably want you to be on antibiotics for a few days before the root canal. You could try to see your dentist now and get the antibiotics started, then you can have the root canal early in 2013. Once the antibiotics start working the pain should largely go away for a few days.
Omalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Wow, that's a lot of crowns, I've had about 5, but I spaced them out so one a year. I had a tooth break which started things out and my dentist then methodically did crowns on teeth with big amalgum fillings that had cracks. I'm not sure how much was really necessary, but as one had broken I went with it. My mouth now looks a lot nicer.
I just had a root canal on a tooth with a crown on it. I though I'd have to pay 20% of the cost, but amazingly the endodontist receptionist checked with Cigna and it was 100% covered. However, I then had to go back to my regular dentist to get a permanent filling and that was only 25% covered, go figure, so total out of pocket cost was a couple of hundred, not bad in the end and my tooth and gum feels great.

The actual root canal wasn't painful at all, it was just uncomfortable having to keep my mouth open and deal with the dental dam.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
$13K for teeth, 1K for cat; always maintain your emergency account.
Good to hear from you Khan.

At least you won't have any worries about biting your own butt after all that dental work.

Quote:
Red Sox rookie Clarence Blethen thought he looked older and meaner if he took his false teeth out when he pitched. He forgot to put them back in his mouth when he was batting. While sliding into second base to break up a double play, his own teeth bit himself in the butt.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
And $1K for cat thyroid surgery.
I'm glad to hear that your cat is still alive. As I recall, he/she is getting pretty old, and you were waiting until your cat passed away before possibly moving.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
I'm glad to hear that your cat is still alive. As I recall, he/she is getting pretty old, and you were waiting until your cat passed away before possibly moving.
Cat is 14, is going to live to be 20 just to spite me.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Cat is 14, is going to live to be 20 just to spite me.
Probably so! I'm sure you love that cat anyway, though.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:44 AM   #18

Hi Khan, Did you have dental coverage? I know it doesn't pay much for crowns (FEDVIP). I haven't touched my SS or TSP yet. I can't seem to get out of "saving for retirement" mode. I'm just living off the little FERS I get and my husband's contribution.

Thinking about TSP in the withdrawal phase gives me a headache. Not many options there. I think they want people to take it elsewhere or annuitize it.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
<snip>

Thinking about TSP in the withdrawal phase gives me a headache. Not many options there. I think they want people to take it elsewhere or annuitize it.
I think the monthly w/d is very good. keep in mind that is considered "full" w/d; that is, the only other thing (other than change amt every yr) you can do is withdraw from the plan
drb391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by drb391 View Post
I think the monthly w/d is very good. keep in mind that is considered "full" w/d; that is, the only other thing (other than change amt every yr) you can do is withdraw from the plan
Yep, monthly withdrawals adjusted once a year works fine for me. I did do the one time rollover to an IRA with Wells Fargo, about 1/3 of the initial amount in the TSP. With that I get some asset classes not available in the TSP (REITs, foreign bonds) and I can access that account if I needed immediate funds not covered by the monthly withdrawals from the TSP and I convert small amounts to a Roth IRA annually.