Join Early Retirement Today

Retirement Home or Holiday Inn?
Old 09-14-2004, 07:37 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Retirement Home or Holiday Inn?

Here's an e-mail that I just received from my ever-watchful daughter-in-law. patiently waiting for me to kick the bucket so that she and her husband can get their hands on all of my money!

Dear Dad,

I saw an article about nursing and retirement homes and the expenses. Then it hit me. No nursing home for me! Here is my plan:

I'm checking into the Holiday Inn. With the average cost for a nursing home reaching $188 per day, there is a better way when we get old and feeble. I have already checked on reservations at the Holiday Inn.

For a combined long-term stay discount and senior discount, it's $49.23 per night. That leaves $138.77 a day! for breakfast, lunch, dinner in any restaurant I
want, or room service. It also will leave enough for laundry, gratuities, and special TV movies. Plus, I'll get a swimming pool, a workout room, a lounge, and washer and dryer. I'll also get free toothpaste, razors, shampoo and soap. And I'll be treated like a customer, not a patient!

Five dollars worth of tips a day will have the entire staff scrambling. There is a city bus stop out front, and seniors ride--free. The handicap bus will also
pick me up if I have a decent pain-caused limp. Also, ride the church bus free on Sundays. For a change of scenery, take the airport shuttle bus and eat
at one of the nice restaurants there. While you're at the airport, fly somewhere.

Meanwhile, the cash keeps building up. It takes months to get into decent nursing homes. On the other hand, Holiday Inn will take your reservation today, if needed. And you are not stuck in one place forever. You can move from Inn to Inn, or even from city to city!

Want to see Hawaii? They have a Holiday Inn there, too. TV broken? Light bulbs need changing? Need a mattress replaced? No problem. They fix everything and apologize for the inconvenience. The Inn has a night security person and daily room service. The maid checks if you are OK. If not, they will call the undertaker or an ambulance. If you fall and break a hip, Medicare will pay for the hip, and Holiday Inn will upgrade you to a suite for the rest of your life. And no worries about visits from family. They will always be glad to visit you, and probably check in for a mini-vacation. The grandkids can use the pool. What more can you ask for?

When I discussed my plan with friends, they came up with even more benefits that Holiday Inn provides retirees. Most standard rooms have coffee makers, reclining chairs, and satellite TV -- all you need to enjoy a cozy afternoon. After a movie and a good nap, you can check on your children (free local phone calls), then take a stroll to the lounge or restaurant where you meet new and exotic people every day.

Many Holiday Inns even feature live entertainment on the weekends. Often they have special offers, too, like the Kids Eat Free program. So, just invite your grandkids over after school to have a free dinner with you. Just tell them not to bring more than three friends. Pick a Holiday Inn where they allow pets, and your best friend can keep you company as well. If you want to travel, but are a bit skittish about unfamiliar surroundings, you'll always feel at home because wherever you go, the rooms all look the same! And if you're getting a little absent-minded in your old days, you never have to worry about not finding your room -- your electronic key fits only one door and the helpful bellman or desk clerk is on duty 24/7.

Being natural skeptics, we called Holiday Inn to check out the feasibility of my plan. I'm happy to report that they were positively giddy at the idea of us checking in for a year or more! They even offered to negotiate the rate. We could have easily knocked them down to $40 a night! "So, when I reach the golden age, I'll face it with a grin. Just forward all your emails to the Holiday Inn!"

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Retirement Home or Holiday Inn?
Old 09-14-2004, 09:15 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have seen this before. All who have had to cope with the infirm aged know that the costs (personal and financial) are in the hands-on care that the Holiday Inn doesn't provide.

Old 09-18-2004, 05:51 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This H.I. comparison is a junk email thats been going around lately. It is not an origiinal thought from your daughter-in-law. She DOES have an agenda here.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:55 PM   #4

Stir things up a bit. Let her think you're planning to leave your assets to the ASPCA. See if Thanksgiving and Christmas don't improve!

BUM
Old 09-18-2004, 06:14 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, its not original, it was posted here but I think with sheraton or somesuch as the hotel.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 07:26 AM   #6

You know BUM, I have thought of that
(threatening to donate my assets to my fav.
charity). But, with my folks still around and in their
dotage I don't want to give them any ideas

John Galt
Old 09-19-2004, 06:27 PM   #7

John Galt . you know I think you have re-defined the generation gap! How does one influence the suceeding generation without suffering the potential fallout from the preceeding generation? Its great that they are all still with you. You're a real "tweener".
Old 09-19-2004, 06:30 PM   #8

I'm not really a "R.E." expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night,

BUM