Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is your annual retirement income?
10K to 25K 10 5.08%
25K to 50K 28 14.21%
50K to 75K 29 14.72%
75K to 100K 53 26.90%
100K to 150K 47 23.86%
150K to 200K 8 4.06%
Over 200K 22 11.17%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2016, 01:07 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, this is interesting. On one hand, we seem to have a lot of interest in folks that can't figure out how to spend $40k per year in retirement. On the other hand, we have very few in or even close to that income category!
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2016, 02:22 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
That number is closer to 10% of fair rental value.
Oh! Thanks for the clarification. I thought you meant 10% of the value of the home. Oops.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:48 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

W2R is that a recent photo? You seem to be much younger :^)
Idnar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:03 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
W2R is that a recent photo? You seem to be much younger :^)
Yes, I was much younger. I was just 17 when the photo was taken.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:08 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I might be falling in love :^)
Old 05-20-2016, 05:11 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
I might be falling in love :^)
Sorry! That ship has sailed. But thank you. 50 years later, I look so different that I feel that using this photo doesn't even endanger my anonymity any more. Oh well, life is good even without that youthful appeal.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:29 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

That is ok, mine has sailed also. Enjoy your posts and lifestyle. Love NOLA, but haven't been there for ages. Need to go again.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:29 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Me thinks I should have extended the high end a bit.

Good to know we are doing well -
Agree.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:37 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
10% for upkeep? Wow.

I went back to re-examine my actual records for upkeep, and found that I spend 1% on average for upkeep, not 10%.

When Googling "What percentage of home's value for upkeep?" I came across numerous sites and all that I clicked on gave 1%, not 10%. For example, here's one:

How Much Should You Budget for Home Maintenance?

Oh well. Anyway, I just didn't include anything for my paid off home, because it wouldn't have pushed me into another category even if I did. Just wanted to point this out (because I'm old and cranky! ).
My places generally are in the 3-5% of current market for maintenance. This includes all costs, taxes, upkeep, utilities, repairs, some professional management, etc. Most expensive is the house in Arizona(5%). Least expensive is the Toronto condo (3%). What really gets you is the periodic remodels. New kitchen at lake house ($90k). Remodel of Toronto condo (also $90k), new roof at Lake house ($50k). We like to keep our places well maintained so I suspect we would be at the higher end. But I think 1% would not be sustainable. Does that include taxes? Probably not, so if you add in .5-1% for taxes getting a little closer.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:42 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Well, this is interesting. On one hand, we seem to have a lot of interest in folks that can't figure out how to spend $40k per year in retirement. On the other hand, we have very few in or even close to that income category!
Agree, a little surprised at the fairly high income proportions. Yet, the critical mass of discussion here appears to centre around lower income levels. Perhaps a reluctance on the part of some people to tip their hands re their income? A natural shyness or perhaps an unwillingness to buck the predominate culture here?
Old 05-21-2016, 07:49 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Agree, a little surprised at the fairly high income proportions. Yet, the critical mass of discussion here appears to centre around lower income levels. Perhaps a reluctance on the part of some people to tip their hands re their income? A natural shyness or perhaps an unwillingness to buck the predominate culture here?
Danmar, I think you have a hard time understanding just how much of an outlier you really are!

Besides, many contributors to discussions are early in their careers, while this poll targets those who have already retired. And there is a difference between retirement income and retirement spending.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:31 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Danmar, I think you have a hard time understanding just how much of an outlier you really are!

Besides, many contributors to discussions are early in their careers, while this poll targets those who have already retired. And there is a difference between retirement income and retirement spending.
I think I do understand this, it just seems like I'm such a lone voice here, Turns out I am not as alone as I thought? I think the difference of retirement spending vs income not that much of a issue as pointed out by NW bound? Some will simply use the spend numbers. If anything a pure definition of income will understate the figures, no? I guess taxes would be an issue? Many people will also view forecasted or realized cap gains as available to spend?

Anyway, I am a little surprised at the higher levels 40% have incomes over $100k. I would have pegged the median around $50 but looks like it is more like $75k? Maybe that isn't such a big difference but there are quite a few at higher levels.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:34 AM   #33

I put the income I would report to the IRS. Not counting income earned in retirement account. I consider that investment asset to be used. Not income unless I take it out as distribution.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:29 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I put the income I would report to the IRS. Not counting income earned in retirement account. I consider that investment asset to be used. Not income unless I take it out as distribution.
I included 5% mandatory distribution on my retirement account. included as taxable income.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:32 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Anyway, I am a little surprised at the higher levels 40% have incomes over $100k. I would have pegged the median around $50 but looks like it is more like $75k? Maybe that isn't such a big difference but there are quite a few at higher levels.
I think it is because most of the discussion is about those that are close to the line rather than those of us with big buffers?
Old 05-21-2016, 09:43 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I think it is because most of the discussion is about those that are close to the line rather than those of us with big buffers?
It must be. I am as surprised as Danmar. There is a lot of discussions on this board about spending less than 40K.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:10 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

People may be thinking that they can cut down to $40K if they need to, but they are in fact spending much more.

Is that wishful thinking? We do not really know unless the market takes another dump and loses 50% as it did in 2009, but I think they can. When there's no money but only $40K/year, people will figure out a way.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:20 AM   #38

I'm actually surprised there are more people in the lower brackets on this forum. Maybe they don't post that often.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:22 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
People may be thinking that they can cut down to $40K if they need to, but they are in fact spending much more.

Is that wishful thinking? We do not really know unless the market takes another dump and loses 50% as it did in 2009, but I think they can. When there's no money but only $40K/year, people will figure out a way.
Oh come'on, it's not likely going to happen. I think max is down 30% in a recession. But most likely down 20%.
I'm practicing fortune telling of course.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:23 AM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

I voted based on my AGI before I read the requirements. If I counted the actual rental income (no depreciation), imputed income from paid off house and withdrawal from nest egg, my income would be 4 times higher.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote