Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-30-2012, 08:03 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Back to a general comment on the topic at hand, the budgets posted in the forum by expats often amaze me. While individual budget items may be markedly lower, it seems like few if any of them are living on less for their overall retirement expenses than the median income of working people in many parts of the US. I guess they feel they need more than the median lifestyle here, or perhaps reasons other than frugal living contributed to the decision.
A forum for those able to fund early retirement is going to be wildly skewed to the most successful segment of the population.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
BC is nice, but most people do not have a prayer of moving there. Canada is difficult to immigrate to.

And yes, it is unbelievably expensive.
The current immigration rules require $1.6 million, split between owning property and a bank/investment account. Also living outside the major urban areas is like living in the US south of midwest, much cheaper.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

There's two colors of cheese?
Old 04-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just finished one slice of white cheese and one slice of yellow cheese. I liked the white cheese better. So there it is, proof positive that white cheese is better than yellow.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
There's two colors of cheese?
Three if you include the color of the holes in Swiss cheese.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I think the problem is that you haven't tried living in the US yet.
Forgot to mention 3 years in Santa Barbara, CA (which is not southern california) and 3 years in Champaign, IL probably because I was a poor student in those days who's needs were few.

I used 'fly over country' to illustrate a point, one I didn't make very well. If one takes an existing set of attitudes, beliefs, behaviors, habits and expectations formed in one environment into a new place one notices the differences, both better and worse. But it's all about the person (unless that person is a New Yorker, then it's all about the new place ;-).

Back when the Brooks Institute of Photography was a first rate school I met some students who hated Santa Barbara and couldn't wait to get out. Also met some who were already trying to figure out how to spend the rest of their life there. I prefer Santa Barbara to Manhattan, others are just the opposite. It's about the person, not the place.

The cost of living in 'the sticks' in America may be about the same as living in foreign countries that Americans have found appealing. But cost is only part of the foundation of setting up a new life in a new place. For some people moving to 'the sticks' from an urban or suburban part of the US, the required adaptations may be on par with living in a foreign country.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
The current immigration rules require $1.6 million, split between owning property and a bank/investment account. Also living outside the major urban areas is like living in the US south of midwest, much cheaper.
Is that $1.6M for a couple? Or would a couple be $3.2M?

I thought there was also a way you could immigrate by loaning about one half $M to the Canadian equivalent of the USA Small Business Administration, interest free, for a number of years.

Would that $1.6M get you access to the Canadian public health care system?

At one time, years ago, I researched the requirements for immigrating to Canada because a friend was flapping his trap and threatening to move there in protest of some USA political situation. I gave him the details just to show him (and laugh a bit ) that the choice wasn't really his and that he wouldn't be going anywhere as he didn't have the required assets. I'm sure my work from back then is out of date now.

I'm a fan of how Canada controls immigration and wish the USA could learn a lesson from them. Australia too.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #48
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
I just finished one slice of white cheese and one slice of yellow cheese. I liked the white cheese better. So there it is, proof positive that white cheese is better than yellow.
Cheese? what is cheese? The yellow stuff is called Velveeta. The white kind is called cottage cheese and goes with canned peaches.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Cheese? what is cheese? The yellow stuff is called Velveeta. The white kind is called cottage cheese and goes with canned peaches.

Maybe "Kraft" is the yellow one here in Illinoise?

Now I remember, the white one is that fancy "cottage cheese" you're talking about.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Is that $1.6M for a couple? Or would a couple be $3.2M?

I thought there was also a way you could immigrate by loaning about one half $M to the Canadian equivalent of the USA Small Business Administration, interest free, for a number of years.

Would that $1.6M get you access to the Canadian public health care system?

At one time, years ago, I researched the requirements for immigrating to Canada because a friend was flapping his trap and threatening to move there in protest of some USA political situation. I gave him the details just to show him (and laugh a bit ) that the choice wasn't really his and that he wouldn't be going anywhere as he didn't have the required assets. I'm sure my work from back then is out of date now.

I'm a fan of how Canada controls immigration and wish the USA could learn a lesson from them. Australia too.
I believe that is $1.6 for a couple. I was on the website the other day and they offered me residence for $800,000. I think that could include a house purchase and a bank deposit. I believe the other permanent residence visa is called an "Entrepreneurship Visa" which may require less, but is currently not accepting applications at this point.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:34 AM   #51
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm a software developer. From what I've heard from others I'd have no problem getting into Canada as a 'skilled immigrant'. Many countries around the world welcome folks with the right skills. You don't necessarily need boatloads of money to immigrate.

On a related note, I've also thought it'd be fun to move from country to country working 6 month contracts. Most apartment complexes I've stayed at offer 6 month leases, and I'm sure one could work out the details.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
I used 'fly over country' to illustrate a point, one I didn't make very well. If one takes an existing set of attitudes, beliefs, behaviors, habits and expectations formed in one environment into a new place one notices the differences, both better and worse. But it's all about the person (unless that person is a New Yorker, then it's all about the new place ;-).
Non-Americans don't distinguish between "The Coasts" or "Fly-over Country". To them, all Americans are pretty much the same. So if you retire abroad leave the US hubris and attitude of superiority behind. Other countries have a lot to offer and you need to embrace that to successfully retire abroad.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Other countries have a lot to offer and you need to embrace that to successfully retire abroad.
You may have to close one eye and hold your nose, however.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Non-Americans don't distinguish between "The Coasts" or "Fly-over Country". To them, all Americans are pretty much the same. So if you retire abroad leave the US hubris and attitude of superiority behind. Other countries have a lot to offer and you need to embrace that to successfully retire abroad.
Your're painting with a pretty broad brush. My experience is different - neither poor appreciation of geography nor hubris & attitude are the monopoly of any country or geographic collection of people.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
So if you retire abroad leave the US hubris and attitude of superiority behind. .
I love a good old US-bashing thread....

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
I believe that is $1.6 for a couple. I was on the website the other day and they offered me residence for $800,000. I think that could include a house purchase and a bank deposit. I believe the other permanent residence visa is called an "Entrepreneurship Visa" which may require less, but is currently not accepting applications at this point.
Yes you are correct. There is a quota that gets used up each year. There is also a 90-day waiting period for health insurance, subject to being clear of preconditions. So travel insurance is needed while waiting. The majority of qualifiers seem to be from China and Iran.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
BTravlin, methinks you been reading The People's Guide to Mexico.
I'd like to place my vote for this fine book. I've owned my copy for 13 years now, and it was my preferred bathroom reading for quite a while. Unlike most other travel guides, which give you lists of things to do and see, places to stay etc, this book reads like one long story about what it's actually like to be in Mexico, written from the author's many and lengthy experiences. It's full of interesting and lively anecdotes - a great read.

Even if you don't plan on visiting Mexico, this book is still a worthwhile read.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Your're painting with a pretty broad brush. My experience is different - neither poor appreciation of geography not hubris & attitude are the monopoly of any country or geographic collection of people.
I agree, my advice goes for any nationality retiring abroad, but as we are dealing with American retirees in this thread I thought I'd direct my advice at them. I could easily have done the same for my home country of the UK. Luckily most of the people who are interested in retiring abroad tend to be open minded and accepting of differing cultures, but it's always good to be reminded that many American attitudes and opinions are not the norm in the rest of the world.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

US hubris sounds like the name of a cheese. "Hubris--we're proud of it!"
Old 05-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
US hubris sounds like the name of a cheese. "Hubris--we're proud of it!"
Yes, you are correct! It actually originated in NYC and is now manufactured worldwide. You can always recognize the "original" because of it's unique aroma!