Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Retirement Planning: Rocky for Couples
Old 02-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Retirement Planning: Rocky for Couples

Quote:
According to the most recent annual survey of 5,400 U.S. households by Hearts & Wallets, a Hingham, Mass. financial consulting firm, many couples may be headed for trouble. Only 38% of couples engage in retirement planning together, the survey found. (Another 18% say either they or their spouse has engaged in solo retirement planning in the past.) And just 39% say they and their spouse share a similar vision for retirement.
Retirement planning: Rocky for couples - Encore - MarketWatch

Related WSJ article by same author: Seven Resolutions to Get Your Finances in Shape - WSJ.com
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
gone traveling

Eh, I feel like it can be easy to skew that poll.

My wife and I are still well within the accumulation phase. We max 401k's, Roth IRA's, and a 529 and invest some post-tax. She has no interest in worrying or even planning ER. I've mentioned to her before that my projections say that we might be able to semi-ER or fully ER in our early 40's, and she just says something like "Oh yeah? That's cool." and continues what she's doing like nothing.

So, in many cases, I feel like one spouse just plugs along and goes at the discretion of the other regarding finances.
bo_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If I had had to consider my former wife's wants when I put together our stash, neither she nor I would have anywhere near as much money as we have. To make sensible decisions regarding money, you have to have some sense, and some people have none and seem unlikely to develop any.

Ha
Old 02-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #4

Probably true considering only about 38% of couples can agree on anything.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Only 38% of couples engage in retirement planning together, the survey found.
Quote:
18% say either they or their spouse has engaged in solo retirement planning in the past.
So 38% agree to plan together and 44% agree to NOT plan together. Sounds like a solid majority are agreeing about retirement planning. Maybe that's a story for my newsletter.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:49 AM   #6

Do you mean 'can' or 'can't' ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
Probably true considering only about 38% of couples can agree on anything.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
retirement planning