Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-11-2016, 06:12 PM   #121
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
I think that you are right BCLOVER. I also think that the OP's question is rather simple. Do we try too hard to guarantee 100% when the odds of living to say 100 or 95 is very low. I know that there are many who will live into their 90's, but as I see my mother age, my grandparents all dead (and miserable for the one that did live into her 90's) I don't know that I want to live that long anyway. But I'm still a big chicken and doing OMY anyway.

Yes that is my thought, many interesting responses!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Moneygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2016, 06:35 PM   #122
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneygrubber View Post
Yes that is my thought, many interesting responses!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Yes indeed I especially liked the annuity hurdle post. I did notice one response seemed angry, almost as if you touched a nerve of someone still working (and probably doesn't want to be). OMY syndrome is real.

Your point is valid. As I take it all in I am reminded of an old cliche, "man plans and God laughs". We all do the best we can and most of us will err with a tidy sum of money to pass along to our heirs or charities.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:37 PM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My dad said:

Plan like you'll live forever.
Live like every day is your last.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:39 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
My financial planning is different than my life planning.

I'm realistic - and have made arrangements for all sorts of scenarios: I die first leaving DH to go on, He dies first, and I have to get by without him, we die together before the kids are of age. I looked at longevity (on his side of things) and earlier death due to cancer (my side of things)... not to mention cognitive decline or physical decline requiring support (memory unit, home health aide, nursing home.)

I tried to come up with a plan for all of this.

But I also tried to come up with a plan that maximizes happiness in the NOW. I retired at age 52... to maximize that happiness in the NOW. We're frontloading our budget a bit to travel NOW, vs when we're frail. I'm not spending out of my means - but I am spending on things that make me happy NOW.

Sure my kids might inherit some when I kick it - but if my financial plan works out (vs reality life expectations) I won't run out of money till after I'm 90 and DH is 100. And our back up is our home equity... which is significant. If I'm 90 I don't need/want a two story house - so selling won't be a problem.

Moneygrubber - you seem to be suggesting that accounting for longevity in the financial plan is a bad thing. I think there are plenty of people who find the balance between planning for longevity but still grabbing happiness now.
+1 My feelings exactly!
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:52 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
My financial planning is different than my life planning.

I'm realistic - and have made arrangements for all sorts of scenarios: I die first leaving DH to go on, He dies first, and I have to get by without him, we die together before the kids are of age. I looked at longevity (on his side of things) and earlier death due to cancer (my side of things)... not to mention cognitive decline or physical decline requiring support (memory unit, home health aide, nursing home.)

I tried to come up with a plan for all of this.

But I also tried to come up with a plan that maximizes happiness in the NOW. I retired at age 52... to maximize that happiness in the NOW. We're frontloading our budget a bit to travel NOW, vs when we're frail. I'm not spending out of my means - but I am spending on things that make me happy NOW.

Sure my kids might inherit some when I kick it - but if my financial plan works out (vs reality life expectations) I won't run out of money till after I'm 90 and DH is 100. And our back up is our home equity... which is significant. If I'm 90 I don't need/want a two story house - so selling won't be a problem.

Moneygrubber - you seem to be suggesting that accounting for longevity in the financial plan is a bad thing. I think there are plenty of people who find the balance between planning for longevity but still grabbing happiness now.
I didn't get that at all (the last part).

Let me just make an observation from a newbie standpoint. I found this site two years ago when after my husband died I wanted to get a better understanding of a number of investment things and I knew I would be leaving the workforce before traditional retirement age. hated the bogleheads site for a few reasons and someone told me about firecalc. anyhoo one thing I noticed is that 90% of the information about retirement is doomsday and fear.
One of the first questions I asked here was anyone actually "happy" retired lol

Rarely did I come across article (before) here where people said they saved money to actually enjoy life. It is/was always "save" because when you turn 90 you'll be destitute and eating cat food or healthcare is going to be so expensive you won't be able to afford it

Maybe we could get Americans to save more for their retirement if we made it more appealing.
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:01 PM   #126
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
Maybe we could get Americans to save more for their retirement if we made it more appealing.
Isn't the very idea of retiring (i.e. not having to work) pretty appealing in itself? The idea of avoiding cat food is also appealing (to me). If a person lacks the imagination to figure out why money will be useful if they get all their working hours to use as they please, I don't know if anything I could tell them would help. They may be best off staying in the traces and paying SS to keep that system afloat for others.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:15 PM   #127
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
anyhoo one thing I noticed is that 90% of the information about retirement is doomsday and fear.

One of the first questions I asked here was anyone actually "happy" retired lol

Rarely did I come across article (before) here where people said they saved money to actually enjoy life.

As someone who has been watching this site for about 3.5 years and posting for about 2, I don't see this as an accurate representation AT ALL. We discuss travel...what people do everyday in retirement (actually fun to read)...movies, books, food...very little doomsday and fear there. I've been following your posts here as well as another forum where I've identified you. One needn't spend hundreds of dollars on dinner and Wicked to enjoy themselves, though they are free to do so if they choose. My impression of the people who stick around here is one of general satisfaction and content with their lives, absent much of the financial stress many people live with on a daily basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:36 PM   #128
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
If buying a SPIA to establish a floor was anywhere near a neutral expense, more people would do so. There's a high probability you will pay a substantial premium for the payout your SPIA will provide, especially at present interest rate/yields. That premium, and forever limiting your options after buying a SPIA (a big chunk of $ is gone), is the reason buying an annuity doesn't make sense to many, though it may for others.

Even those (self included) who never plan to buy an annuity, might if their nest egg falls too far too soon. I'd consider an annuity only when/if my nest egg starts to approach my annuitization hurdle at any given age. Linked here several times http://www.schulmerichandassoc.com/M...cumulation.pdf

Most here didn't retire at that threshold...

People who retire at/near or below their annuitization hurdle may indeed be best served by a SPIA. Otar is another discipline like Pfau.

Not to mention the added risk of inflation when buying an annuity that lacks an inflation adjustment clause. Most lack one.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:25 PM   #129

Phew, I read everything and got to the end (so far) of this thread. Can't figure out what it is about though. All I know is that my financial plan is that I live a long time and my day to day activities plan is to do it now, because I don't know how much longer I will have to actively enjoy life. So worst case I live long, best case I die soon. Wait... that can't be right can it? Anyway, so not knowing the future what else can one do? In short my plan is always to not die today! If my plan doesn't work out, well I probably won't know it didn't.
Retirement Reality
Old 01-12-2016, 12:52 AM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

Retirement Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
Not to mention the added risk of inflation when buying an annuity that lacks an inflation adjustment clause. Most lack one.

That's certainly a concern. However another way to address that would be to ladder a few smaller SPIAs at, say, 3 to 5 year intervals. Such would allow use of the simplest and most basic of annuity products while one tailors the sizes/intervals of the subsequent purchases to accommodate changing inflation rates (and with the added benefit of spreading default risk across multiple insurers.) I don't know that we'll ever go the SPIA route but if we do, I lean toward doing something of this nature.
UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:15 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
My father had a small pension from the electric utility company, he worked for them for 30 years. It was not inflation adjusted. He had contributed 5% of his gross income towards it. In my mind he bought an annuity without an inflation adjustment clause on a 30 year installment plan.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:54 AM   #132
gone traveling

Firstly all should know I have the utmost respect for all those that visit this forum. I have learned a great deal and have a fascination with money and investing, hence my "handle". I have reached my retirement goals using many if the techniques discussed on this board by very intelligent and capable folks. I was simply reflecting on the high standard we , including me, place on portfolio success. My experience has seen those in their 90's with significant portfolios in nursing homes watching their funds drain away in a bed next to someone on medicaid receiving the same level of care. We expect to live into our 90's with a life that we can enjoy our hard earned savings, it is my hope we all achieve this goal. Cheers!

Old 01-12-2016, 06:01 AM   #133
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunner View Post
Yes indeed I especially liked the annuity hurdle post. I did notice one response seemed angry, almost as if you touched a nerve of someone still working (and probably doesn't want to be). OMY syndrome is real.
Another incorrect assumption, assuming you were talking about my post. I just thought it was a stupid premise, and still do.

Another analogy I've heard used is seat belts. I use seat belts when I drive, not because I plan to have an accident, but rather just in case I do.

I'm set as best I can for age 95 (actually older), not because I know I will live that long, but because it's reasonably possible I might. 5-10% chance is not one I want to bet against. These are not lottery odds.

An annuity is not a fool proof solution. Inflation is a risk. You've also made a long term bet that the insurer will stay in business for the duration.

OMY syndrome is real, but if work is so awful that you can bear to stand it to better insure against a reasonable chance of making it to old age, maybe you ought to try to address that issue.

Besides, the OP admitted this is a troll thread in post #45.

Quote:
Full disclosure, stirring the pot, saved well, retiring at 55 in a few months, adhere to diversification, withdrawal rate strategies and 95 planning
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:03 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Isn't the very idea of retiring (i.e. not having to work) pretty appealing in itself? The idea of avoiding cat food is also appealing (to me). If a person lacks the imagination to figure out why money will be useful if they get all their working hours to use as they please, I don't know if anything I could tell them would help. They may be best off staying in the traces and paying SS to keep that system afloat for others.
ok so then I'm one who "lacks" imagination. lol I know I've always accomplished my goals when there was a tangible fun "carrot" dangled in my face, so to say.

If you told me to save money for a rainy day, which my parents always used, that meant very little to me. If you told me to save money so in 2 years I can spend the summer in Paris, my results were better.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:04 AM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
As someone who has been watching this site for about 3.5 years and posting for about 2, I don't see this as an accurate representation AT ALL. We discuss travel...what people do everyday in retirement (actually fun to read)...movies, books, food...very little doomsday and fear there. I've been following your posts here as well as another forum where I've identified you. One needn't spend hundreds of dollars on dinner and Wicked to enjoy themselves, though they are free to do so if they choose. My impression of the people who stick around here is one of general satisfaction and content with their lives, absent much of the financial stress many people live with on a daily basis.

I said, that this site was one of the exceptions.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:04 AM   #136
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I said, that this site was one of the exceptions.
Yes, you did, and I agree completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Isn't the very idea of retiring (i.e. not having to work) pretty appealing in itself? The idea of avoiding cat food is also appealing (to me).
Retirement has been such an amazing experience. I love knowing that for the rest of my life I can afford to eat well, live well, and also not live in a refrigerator box under a bridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I'm set as best I can for age 95 (actually older), not because I know I will live that long, but because it's reasonably possible I might. 5-10% chance is not one I want to bet against.
That's what I am doing, too. I expect to live to around 85, and I will feel like I won life's lottery if I live to 90. Still, I have planned to about age 95 just in case.

If/when I live to 85, I'm going to re-evaluate my plans and needs at that time, and assume that I will live past 95. I might cut back a little bit in anticipation of living to, say, 105. Or, if SPIA's still exist and are both available to me and a reasonably good deal, I might buy one at 85.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:18 AM   #137

Quote:
Good question, be pragmatic i guess, i have helped settle several estates with millions left behind due to these unreasonable longevity expectations.
I'll come at this from a different direction. So, you've seen several estates where millions were left? My questions: so what?

If things work out according to historical averages, I (and many on this board) will die with substantial estates. Why is that bad?

I've spent my whole life LBMM and enjoying every minute of it so why would I suddenly race to spend every penny now? If I wanted to spend more I would have done that all along and maybe worked a little longer. I have no need for a McMansion and a yacht.

If the people with those estates led happy lives then their worst case ending is that their grandchildren may get college paid for, or their kids get some money for a down-payment on a better house, or a favorite charity is blessed or their alma mater gets funds for a new capital improvement...

I guess I'm not understanding why having the means to protect against below-average returns is a negative.

Nice job stirring the pot by the way. You were very successful.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:32 AM   #138
gone traveling

Quote:
So everyone plans for a 30 40 or 50 year retirement, how many of your family members, friends, associates never made it to 50, 60, or 70, get real, life is short, we know how many years have past, we dont know how many lie ahead....
I don't get the thesis that because something may happen that damages/ruins your plans that you shouldn't plan as suits you.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:35 AM   #139
gone traveling

I am not telling people to not plan, sorry for the double negative.. But if you planned on a 95% success rate for crossing the street you would never leave the sidewalk. We take all kinds of risks every day that are much higher than running out of money in retirement, maybe i am the only one that sees the absurdity of it.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:48 AM   #140

Everyone has a distribution of acceptable risk/reward ratios in different aspects of life. I'm a skier and I'm more than happy to accept some pretty serious injury risks with where and how I ski because of the huge adrenaline payoff. Others would call what I do absurd as you do with the 100% planning. On the other end of the spectrum for me: in retirement I have no interest in "living it up" now and taking my chances that I'm stuck with an SSI-only life later.

We all decide where we want to take our risks and where we don't. We make those decisions all the time and there are dozens each day/month/year that for one are sensible and for another nonsensical.