Join Early Retirement Today
Retirement Risks: It All Starts With Longevity
Old 03-18-2014, 02:46 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Retirement Risks: It All Starts With Longevity

A short but concise summary re: the (financial) challenge of retirement. What we all grapple with...and why all the calculators in the world only tell us what a broad range of outcomes we might expect.

Have a plan, adjust thoughtfully as the plan unfolds, and have a plan B/C/D... in case things 'don't work out' as planned.

Retirement Risks: It All Starts With Longevity - Forbes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Longevity Risk.jpg (49.5 KB, 53 views)

No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...
Fortunately, it is fairly straight forward to hedge longevity risk.

"Neither my companion or I carry firearms on our persons. We depend on the goodwill of our fellow man and the forbearance of reptiles."

- English Bob
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:24 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...
Longevity and/or Money?

While we all want to have both, I'd say having "Longevity without Money" beats "Money without Longevity".

Money helps buy quality for Life, but having no Life is definitely having zero quality.
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leo Tolstoy
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:56 PM   #4
gone traveling
Check out the obits, everyone does not live to 90 as planners suggest. Do you leave the house with an asteroid helmet just in case.?
Moneygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:31 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
My ( divorced) Mom is 93, her brother is 89..( and both were born on the same day, 4 years apart!)...very healthy for their age.

Dad is passed.

Mom lives on Dad's SS of 1400. and pension from the ArchDiocese of about 350.

House paid off, so she lives quite comfortably ( considering "live" is in her own home, with a little lawn and garden that I take care of, and she no longer drives...) in the little town we live in in NE PA.

My maternal grandmother was 85 when she died. Paternal grandma died at 65 of cancer.

Mom's two sisters lived to 85+, and my Mom's two cousins, to 86+.

Of course, my Dad died at with my luck I inherited his genes....!!!!

So....I gotta prepare for a LONG life ( or a SHORT one if I follow in my Dad's footsteps!)

Live for today......tomorrow may never come for any of us....!
Lcountz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Moneygrubber View Post
Check out the obits, everyone does not live to 90 as planners suggest. Do you leave the house with an asteroid helmet just in case.?
I buckle my seat belt on every single trip, yet the odds of me having an accident on any single trip is far, far lower than my odds of hitting 90 (odds of a 60 yo male reaching 90 is about one in five). I'm about a dozen serious accidents behind, this year alone!

I prefer to plan for something that has a 1 in 5 chance of happening. Add in a spouse, and the odds of one living to 90 increases.

I do not have an asteroid plan, I'll just have to wing that one.

Are you telling us you don't have insurance on your home? After all, not every house burns down. Less than one in five I would guess.

ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote