Join Early Retirement Today

Retirement Savings Comparisons
Old 06-16-2014, 12:56 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Retirement Savings Comparisons

This may or may not be the correct forum or maybe even a little taboo, but I haven't seen a forum on here for everyone to share their financial profiles. I have seen people share what they have, but haven't seen a consolidated forum for this. I'm interested to see how everyone's financial assets stack up and am interested in seeing how I am doing compared to others as well. In order to not get too complicated with net worth's, home equity, debt, etc. I thought it'd be reasonable to limit it to taxable and retirement/savings accounts only (401k's, IRA's, Roth's, savings, checking, etc). There are articles on yahoo, cnbc, others that talk about this information, but they are the "average" and "median" 401k balances and I really question the accuracy of them.
I'll go first:
Taxable accounts: $66,753
Retirement accounts (TSP, IRA's, Roth's, wife 401k): $132,361
Total: $199,114

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2014, 01:04 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Not taboo but many of us aren't comfortable providing the details of our financial lives. Plus, since some have (or will have) pensions while others will not, the relative values of retirement accounts and taxable savings may not be meaningful for comparison purposes.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Not taboo but many of us aren't comfortable providing the details of our financial lives. Plus, since some have (or will have) pensions while others will not, the relative values of retirement accounts and taxable savings may not be meaningful for comparison purposes.
+1

Our retirement savings were only part of the equation in deciding when to retire since between the two of us we have 4 pensions, 2 SS, and 1 UK SS, plus excellent retiree Health Insurance.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:18 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Go over to bogleheads.org and do a search. There have been anonymous surveys done the last couple years with all this info. There are hundreds of replies, and the data placed in a spreadsheet that can be analyzed.

Warning - bogleheads are not your average person walking down the street, and the asset balances are very high.

Edited to add:
found the survey:
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/view...t+worth+survey
Old 06-16-2014, 02:23 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll play, I like to include home equity because if necessary proceeds from selling and downsizing would provide several years of living expenses.

These numbers exclude my wife's 401k and savings (they are much smaller though).

Taxable: $135k
Retirement: $267k
Home Equity: $120k
Old 06-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks for your participation. I understand that a few may not want to play, but I also know there are many folks on this forum that don't mind sharing, so I thought it'd be interesting to see everyone's financial profiles in one area. I also understand that the dollars you have don't equate to retiring early or not because of many variables and other avenues that people fund retirement.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:45 PM   #7

If you are interested in overall wealth of members on the board you may find the following of interest, even though it is not exactly what you are after just now.

Net worth Poll
Old 06-16-2014, 02:48 PM   #8

Taxable accounts: 25 x yearly budget
Retirement accounts <1 x yearly budget
Total: 25 x yearly budget
Old 06-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Taxable accounts: $350k
Retirement accounts: $750k
Annual Income: $15k rental
Pensions and SS starting at 66: $50k
Annual Expenses: $36k

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:31 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm military, married, no kids yet thus DINK, pension 5 years away. Retirement savings is a little over 3x what you have spread between IRAs, TSP, wife 403(b), and taxable. Savings rate is about 40% of our gross income per year. About $400k equity in our house as well.

At 32, I wasn't married, but savings was pretty close to where you are now - I think I cracked $250k saved at 32 or 33. Looks like you're in good shape to me, especially considering you have kids and are probably in line to get substantial pay bumps in the next decade.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:37 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post
Warning - bogleheads are not your average person walking down the street, and the asset balances are very high.
Wow. I am definitely way behind the vast majority of those folks. How depressing. I can't believe how many young people on that survey have such large net worth values. We were still living on love, and not much else, in our twenties. I'm pretty sure we had a negative net worth until about 30 yo after finally paying off DH's student loans.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:53 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Taxable accounts: Couple, three years of spending
Retirement accounts: Lifetime of spending
Pension: All I need, actually
Total: More than enough

Now get off my lawn.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:06 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Any comparison between posters without age consideration is not really meaningful. I have assets greater than an order of magnitude than that of the OP, but I am a lot older with children of age 25 and 28. And I only stopped work 2 years ago. With some decades ahead of the OP, I have accumulated more, and that should not be surprising.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:38 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Divorced, 22 year old daughter not living at home
Taxable: 200K
403b: 725K
Investment Property: 500K, net 25K per year rent
No pension
Home paid off
Annual cost of living: 55K
Old 06-16-2014, 10:15 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

When we were 32 year old DINKS, the total of our accounts was ~300K. Maybe half in taxable and half in retirement accounts. Occupation: scientists.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:32 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Taxable: $876K
Retirement: $1,357K
Total: $2,233K
No debt
FIRE in 2017
Old 06-16-2014, 10:36 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Another problem with these surveys is a bias toward wealth. I suspect people will be more likely to share their stories of good fortune, pride in their success (and consequently high NW in retirement) than the contrary. So we'd tend to see a disproportionate fraction of folks doing very well while those a bit less proud of their circumstances might just choose to stay quiet.

Just for myself I know that, even though by most objective measures I'm doing well, after seeing a few $5M+ posts I tend to feel less like sharing details of my comparatively paltry assets.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:55 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymaker View Post
This may or may not be the correct forum or maybe even a little taboo, but I haven't seen a forum on here for everyone to share their financial profiles. I have seen people share what they have, but haven't seen a consolidated forum for this. I'm interested to see how everyone's financial assets stack up and am interested in seeing how I am doing compared to others as well. In order to not get too complicated with net worth's, home equity, debt, etc. I thought it'd be reasonable to limit it to taxable and retirement/savings accounts only (401k's, IRA's, Roth's, savings, checking, etc). There are articles on yahoo, cnbc, others that talk about this information, but they are the "average" and "median" 401k balances and I really question the accuracy of them.
I'll go first:
Taxable accounts: $66,753
Retirement accounts (TSP, IRA's, Roth's, wife 401k): $132,361
Total: $199,114
Let the cat herding commence!

Ha
Old 06-16-2014, 11:52 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
Another problem with these surveys is a bias toward wealth. I suspect people will be more likely to share their stories of good fortune, pride in their success (and consequently high NW in retirement) than the contrary. So we'd tend to see a disproportionate fraction of folks doing very well while those a bit less proud of their circumstances might just choose to stay quiet.

Just for myself I know that, even though by most objective measures I'm doing well, after seeing a few $5M+ posts I tend to feel less like sharing details of my comparatively paltry assets.
I always keep in mind that the Freakonomics guys noted that on online dating sites more people reported being a lot richer, taller, blonder, less bald, skinnier, and better-looking than statistically plausible.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:45 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

58 and DW 60, no kids
Taxable: $4.5MM
Retirement $0.4MM
Real Estate $1.0MM