Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

RetirementWorks2 software
Old 02-03-2010, 08:17 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

RetirementWorks2 software

Recently read about a retirement software program that is for those just about to retire or are retired. It is www.RetirementWorks2.com About $190 for purchase and $45 a year after.

Anyone used this and care to share an evaluation of the software?
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
Recently read about a retirement software program that is for those just about to retire or are retired. It is www.RetirementWorks2.com About $190 for purchase and $45 a year after.

Do you look at the sample report: the comment of GM stock:
"This investment is hypothesized to do well during your lifetime."

Hope that's a long lifetime
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
With FIRECalc, Fidelity's retirement planner, Otar's retirement analysis, and all the other bezillions of retirement products out there that already have good reviews... including Greaney's REHP website and other boards... why would this planner be better?

Even FinancialEngines.com and ESPlanner, two of the more data-intensive calcultors from hell that I've ever seen, are less expensive. And you only have to pay for ESP once.

It bothers me to see a website showing stock photos of so many satisfied old pharts happily frolicking amongst nature's glories with big smiles plastered on their faces. Right next to the stock photos of other geezers peering at their computer monitors with happy grins. Where's the stock photo of the guy throwing both hands over his head in a touchdown signal, the woman curled up barefoot in a reading nook with a laptop, a cup of herbal tea, and a contented smile? Or the couple reclining in the hammock sharing a laptop touchpad as they steer their way together through their virtual retirement portfolio?

When you enter the website's mailing address into Mapquest's aerial map the neighborhood looks mighty rural... as in someone programming from their home office, not a team of financial & software wizards working from RW2 Galactic HQ. But maybe it's still a good product.

Can you link the article you read?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here's a link to the article about the software: Ohio.com - Retirement software doesn't take shortcuts
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:10 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Humberto Cruz generally does a good job on his reviews, but the program's main appeal to him seems to be that it's more of a "whole life planner" than a retirement finances program.

ESPlanner and Consumption Smoothing.

As you suspect, it's hard to tell that a new program is worth the money without having more extensive publicity and reviews. Both programs certainly seem to be a lot of money for what can be obtained free.

Maybe it's worth a $39 FinancialEngines.com trial membership. You'll spend at least as much time on data entry and you'll be able to tweak at least as many parameters.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 02-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
When you enter the website's mailing address into Mapquest's aerial map the neighborhood looks mighty rural... as in someone programming from their home office, not a team of financial & software wizards working from RW2 Galactic HQ.
I wouldn't use the "ruralness" of the place as input to an opinion. One of my former employers had an office of close to a hundred people about 15 or 20 miles down I-495 from there, and, well, having been there I can say that whole area has a rural feel to it -- almost like rural is in the building codes.

Their website is kinda salesy, though, and does not seem to do a very good job of telling you how their product works. Without a free trial I wouldn't be interested, based on the website -- not the location of their office. Believe it or not, a lot of software is written in home offices. Someone spent 7 years writing a commercial software product in this home office.

This is part of Still River Retirement Planning Software. There is a link on the bottom of the page to bios.

I love FireCalc. Does anyone happen to know where FireCalc was written? I'll say it again: I love FireCalc.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:29 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
I love FireCalc. Does anyone happen to know where FireCalc was written? I'll say it again: I love FireCalc.
Is that a trick question?

Dory programmed v1.0 from a spreadsheet that was somewhere between the old TMF ER board and Greaney's REHP.

Dory programmed the latest version on the Intracoastal Waterway...

Old 02-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Is that a trick question?
It was intended to be a rhetorical question.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
I'll say it again: I love FireCalc.
Me too, and I recommend it to our newbies needing a retirement calculator. I think it is a lot better than most free retirement calculators.

Personally I only use FIRECalc as a doublecheck. My thinking is that past performance is not indicative of future results. FIRECalc is based on past market conditions, so it relies upon the assumption that future market conditions will fall within the same range that we have experienced in the past. This is a perfectly sound modeling approach. All models are based on assumptions of some kind.

However, I don't happen like that particular assumption (being more than a little pessimistic) so I think it gives me too much money to spend. I spend considerably less that what would be required for 100% success when running FIRECalc. But at least FIRECalc gives me a reference point from which to work.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote