Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-29-2010, 06:57 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Texas is the winner for so long as I have been looking of the highest property tax rates.
Just to be clear - we were (temporarily) talking about property insurance rates, not property taxes.

Audrey

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2010, 06:59 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I assume you mean state inspection? For the past few years we've paid $39.75 for the inspection of one vehicle.
It's that much in TX counties that require vehicle emissions testing. Not all TX counties require it (the less urban areas), and state inspection is very cheap.

Audrey

Old 03-29-2010, 07:12 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

I am in Arizona right now and they have closed almost all of their rest areas, are closing parks, and every month are laying off more and more people. I talked to two high school teachers who took $2000 pay cuts last year and another $2000 this year. They now make $28,000 a year. I talked to a Phd naturalist park ranger and he is cleaning toilets at his state park until they lay him off, maybe next week.

My sister in LA runs a drug treatment program. It only is surviving on stimulus money. Cut that out and there are going to be a lot more homeless addicts who have no source for help.

You get a state that is too poor or too cheap and you might pay for it in quality of life.

Just something to keep in mind. Especially as the recession continues.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:26 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

For fulltime RVers, Texas, Florida and and South Dakota are the popular choices. Most mail forwarding services are also located in these states. Just fyi, you use the address of the mail forwarding service as your domicile.

Our address is Wichita Falls, TX. Uh.......we have never been there.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:38 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I have never lived in Texas but Florida is a haven for older singles . There is a real active social life that you can join pretty quickly and feel comfotable in even if you are alone . So if taxes are equal I'd pick Florida for that reason !
Old 03-29-2010, 07:46 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We lived in Fl. a total of about 5 years. There is something to be said about living in an area that caters to your age group, and for Fl. it is the senior crowd.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:12 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
It's that much in TX counties that require vehicle emissions testing. Not all TX counties require it (the less urban areas), and state inspection is very cheap.

Audrey
Son of a gun...I learn something new every day.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:15 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Son of a gun...I learn something new every day.
Out here in the sticks we pay only $14.50...even to inspect that thing in my avatar.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:41 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I assume you mean state inspection? For the past few years we've paid $39.75 for the inspection of one vehicle.

In florida ,no need for inspection . You just drive your car without major parts until it stops .
Old 03-29-2010, 08:47 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
In florida ,no need for inspection . You just drive your car without major parts until it stops .
First you tell me I would be considered a 'hot tamale' when I am 80 in Florida...now you tell me I can drive a bucket of bolts. Sounds like heaven to me...I'm on my way!
Old 03-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #31

Quote:
Just to be clear - we were (temporarily) talking about property insurance rates, not property taxes.

Audrey

Sorry, Audrey, yes I meant insurance rates.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I have never lived in Texas but Florida is a haven for older singles . There is a real active social life that you can join pretty quickly and feel comfotable in even if you are alone . So if taxes are equal I'd pick Florida for that reason !
Totally agree, Moemg, but I am really afraid of what will happen the longer Florida is having fiscal unhealth, which is a nice way to say broke. What will happen to the tax situation for retirees in Florida by, say, 2015? Will State services be cut badly? The usual paranoid thoughts... Florida is one of the seven States potentially going really under with the weight of a huge tax burden...not a good thing for residents.
What do you read in the papers about this down in Sarasota, Moemg?
Old 03-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger View Post
For fulltime RVers, Texas, Florida and and South Dakota are the popular choices. Most mail forwarding services are also located in these states. Just fyi, you use the address of the mail forwarding service as your domicile.

Our address is Wichita Falls, TX. Uh.......we have never been there.
Well it's in the flat lands way northwest of Dallas/Fort Worth (close to the OK border), and famous for tornados. Just in case you thought you might want to visit.....

Audrey
Old 03-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #34

Ever hear Dr. Phil talk? THAT's Wichita Falls...and that's the way that dog hunts as Phil would say.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:29 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Totally agree, Moemg, but I am really afraid of what will happen the longer Florida is having fiscal unhealth, which is a nice way to say broke. What will happen to the tax situation for retirees in Florida by, say, 2015? Will State services be cut badly? The usual paranoid thoughts... Florida is one of the seven States potentially going really under with the weight of a huge tax burden...not a good thing for residents.
What do you read in the papers about this down in Sarasota, Moemg?
Florida gets ton of money from tourism and that is still going strong . I have not heard one thing about any cuts nor have I seen any news about fiscal unhealth .
Old 03-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sorry, Audrey, yes I meant insurance rates.
Interesting, I thought home insurance rates were out of control in FL and never heard about them being a problem in TX.

Article says different - I had no idea!

Maybe it's just certain sections of FL that have really high insurance costs.

Audrey
Old 03-29-2010, 09:50 PM   #37

This is an article from 2008 BusinessWeek, but there were some real eyeopeners for me on it like Alabama? Delaware? I thought they were healthier, but take a gander yourself:
States in Worst Budget Trouble: Shortfall States - BusinessWeek

A new article that I found really interesting about which States are closest to having some serious, serious budget problems and why not to retire in 7 States. There is another study on the net that has a list of 10 States, so they added 3 more (N. Carolina being one).
Here are the 7:
http://www.topretirements.com/blog/f...7-states.html/
Old 03-29-2010, 09:53 PM   #38

Quote:
Interesting, I thought home insurance rates were out of control in FL and never heard about them being a problem in TX.

Article says different - I had no idea!

Maybe it's just certain sections of FL that have really high insurance costs.

Audrey
Amazing what you can find out when you do some digging, eh? Wish this computer had been around when I was still married...maybe I could have caught my ex- sooner..ha!
Old 03-29-2010, 10:12 PM   #39
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Yes $13 dollars for the state safety inspection. We live in an area that does not require emissions testing. You know "Put Texas in your corner, stick up for the Lone Star State".

Eladio
Old 03-29-2010, 10:31 PM   #40

Texas may (or may not) be also getting into budget trouble. I have been hearing about looming deficits, but respectable sources that are not obviously politically motivated are hard to come by. This is about the best that I can do.

Despite concern, state economic figures show improvement | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

There also might be a shortfall in the fund for property tax reduction that the state enacted some years ago, but it is an election year and I can't find much anything written about this that I trust.