Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-10-2010, 10:11 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Communities around Bremerton, WA are worth a look. I live on Bainbridge Island, which doesn't make the list of inexpensive housing but Silverdale just might. What I notice are the number of Navy medical professionals who stay in the area. They are top notch. I have heard good things about Bremerton's Harrison Hospital, the Navy has their own facility, the VA has a domiciliary (nursing home to us non-Vets) and Seattle's facilities are just a ferry (or chopper) ride away.
There were reports/rumors some years ago of skinhead/white supremacist activity in North Kitsap County—does anybody here know the facts on this one way or the other? If true, I would have definite doubts about the safety of my moving to that area. If not true, or no longer true, I need to check out Kitsap Co some more. So far the places I've looked at in City-Data are not much if at all less expensive than Seattle, and the cost of living index is above US average, but those were all places from which it would be feasible to commute to Seattle. The parts of the county from which commuting is less of a possibility may not be as expensive.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2010, 10:14 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
Yep. We're talking DESERT in much of these areas. We're just west of Spokane. When we travel, I'm always amused when people ask us if we ever get sick of all that rain.

As for the heat, we make it a priority to spend as much July/August time as possible in the Puget Sound area for the more moderate temperatures.
See, it's so hot in Spokane even people who live there can't stand it

Old 02-10-2010, 10:20 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I guess it's all relative. One person's "sizzling hot" is another Texan's "mild."
Which is just one among several reasons I won't be moving to the "Lone Star" state when I retire.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:42 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I would expect health care to go away as well. Would you not want to be in a place where an ambulance would reach your house in a few minutes? And where the hospital could put a cath in you if needed?
I've been scoping this out a little more. It looks like the only places with both an amubulance and a nearby hospital are the Aberdeen/Hoquiam/Cosmopolis area in Gray's Harbor Co and Raymond/South Bend in the next county to the south (also highly scenic and with similar economic conditions). As near as I've been able to find out, other places in the central coast region either have an ambulance and no hospital (Ocean Shores & vicinity) or a hospital and no ambulance nearby (Long Beach/Ilwaco) or they are a long way from both the ambulance and the hospital. The north coast (Bellingham area) is more expensive that I think I can afford and the cost of living appears to be above average. I forgot to check earlier, but it turns out that Seattle is even further above average than any of the places I've checked, so in ordinary expenses I'd expect any of them would be less expensive than living here.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
There were reports/rumors some years ago of skinhead/white supremacist activity in North Kitsap County—does anybody here know the facts on this one way or the other? If true, I would have definite doubts about the safety of my moving to that area. If not true, or no longer true, I need to check out Kitsap Co some more. So far the places I've looked at in City-Data are not much if at all less expensive than Seattle, and the cost of living index is above US average, but those were all places from which it would be feasible to commute to Seattle. The parts of the county from which commuting is less of a possibility may not be as expensive.
I have never heard of skinhead/white supremacists in North Kitsap County. I suppose there may be an idiot or two but there are no issues that I am aware of. Remember that the Navy and Navy retirees comprise a significant % of the population on the peninsula and they are diverse and well educated. Not much for white supremacists to recruit from.

The challenge for Bremerton is that it is a one industry town and most residents don't make a lot of money. It isn't attractive for industry because to get to Seattle takes an hour long boat ride.

There was an effort to attract upscale retirees by building nice condos near the ferry terminal. It was completed just as the RE market imploded when retirees found it near impossible to sell their homes. The condos were well built and are doubtless cheaper than originally offered.

I am a library rat, the Kitsap County Library is top notch. Also the downtown branch of the Seattle Public Library is a decent walk from the ferry.

The only thing the county is missing is Trader Joe's.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Ah, I can see you've been to East Nowhere, NY.
I've lived in this area since 1980, and there is still that "You didn't go to high school here did you?" undercurrent. I mostly ignore it.
The majority of my closest friends are transplants also. It's just the way it is in really small towns.
I have to agree - and it's even true in larger cities. If you move to an area that gets a lot of transplants, you won't be an outsider. Otherwise the social climate could be frosty. And the culture varies from region to region in the US - more than you might expect.

My own criteria are affordable housing, excellent close hospitals, and some sort of university providing free lectures etc and culture. I could never live in a rural area (again, you weren't born there starts to creep in) for many reasons including lack of access to services and shops.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

I spent some time exploring real estate offerings in the Aberdeen/Hoquium area a few years ago when we were more actively considering a really early retirement -- it seemed to be one of the few areas in western Washington where you could get a nice old house for a reasonable price that was not on a flood plain. But I worried about diversity issues (we are a mixed ethnicity family) as well as the long-term effects of living in a place that was pretty economically depressed.

lhamo
Old 02-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

PS: Just browsing around, seems like you can still get some pretty great deals there -- prices you would never see in the greater Seattle area, that's for sure. Here's a 3br for $45k:

1218 lafayette Aberdeen, WA 98520 | House for Sale | #29106501 - RealEstate.com
Old 02-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Anything that cheap doubtless has a back story.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:48 PM   #70

Quote:
Perhaps former Meth house? The coast towns seem to have a bit of a presence of meth production and pot growers so some care is in order. (Probably one of the few ways to actually deal with the rain and dreary weather for much of the year, not to mention the winter. :-) )
Nwsteve
Old 02-10-2010, 04:57 PM   #71
Administrator

Quote:
I have no idea.

I noticed that the lot is only 0.09 acres. Some might say that's not much bigger than a postage stamp. Also I wonder if it has access to city water and sewage.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

You can always call the town building department and ask.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:13 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

The words meth lab did cross my mind...

But there are quite a lot of nice places in the $150-200k range, too. And a beautiful mansion (looks like it was a B&B) for under a million.

Property taxes are incredibly low. Makes me wonder about the quality of essential services (schools, fire, police, libraries).

lhamo
Old 02-10-2010, 09:45 PM   #74

[QUOTE=thinker25;902810]I have to agree - and it's even true in larger cities. If you move to an area that gets a lot of transplants, you won't be an outsider. Otherwise the social climate could be frosty. And the culture varies from region to region in the US - more than you might expect.

Having lived in DC, Chicago, Houston, I'd like to second those wise words from Thinker25.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:10 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

I worked in Buffalo for a while. Some very nice people there, but Oh, brother. Lake effect snow in the winter, dirty drinking water in the summer, poverty like New Orleans. etc, etc. It is not a dying city, it is dead. You can watch it decompose.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have no idea.

I noticed that the lot is only 0.09 acres. Some might say that's not much bigger than a postage stamp. Also I wonder if it has access to city water and sewage.
It's about 40 x 100 (=0.092 acres), which is a pretty ordinary size for an in-town lot. There are plenty of lots in Seattle that are 30 x 100 or even 25 x 100.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:44 PM   #77
Administrator

I thought this was in a small town? Sometimes one of the advantages of living in a small town is cheaper land than in a big city, and larger lots. Oh well. Guess not in this area.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:01 AM   #78

Quote:
so suspicious! Is that your big city cynicism showing a little there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
Perhaps former Meth house? (snip)
Nwsteve
Naaah, nothing so scandalous.
Quote:
(snip) Also I wonder if it has access to city water and sewage.
It says right in the listing that it's on city sewer.
Quote:
You can always call the town building department and ask.
Or just look it up on the County Assessor's website. I would have supposed it's on city water, too, but it doesn't say so, and I can't get the Geo-data mapping tool to load on my dial-up connection or I could probably find out. The assessor's listing says it's owned by the "William M Hale Trust", and the assessed value is well above the asking price. My guess is, it's an estate sale and the heirs want to sell it fast so they can divvy up the dollars.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:24 AM   #79

Quote:
I thought this was in a small town? Sometimes one of the advantages of living in a small town is cheaper land than in a big city, and larger lots. Oh well. Guess not in this area.
Well, it's under 20,000 people. I call that a small town. Land is cheaper. You'd pay much more than $45K in Seattle for a small in-town lot with an 80-year old house on it. There may be bigger lots in other parts of town and I'm sure acreage both large and small is available on the edges of town and the unincorporated areas of the county. For example, there's this one, nearly an acre of vacant land with electricity, water, and sewer in the (paved) street, on a hilltop with a river view, for $15K (it's a steal! larger and costs less than the other search results). But looking at 1218 Lafayette on Google maps (terrain view) it doesn't look to me as if it's high enough to be safe from flooding, even though in the photo it looks like it's on a slope. Just by eyeball, the river is only 500 feet away as the crow flies (or as the water rises ). That might also partly explain the low price.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
You're right, I don't suppose I would want to be somewhere it would take an ambulance half an hour to get to. By googling a little, I found the Aberdeen Fire Dep't annual report. Their average EMS response time in the City of Aberdeen is 4.5 minutes. I also found a news story about the rescue of a swimmer at Ocean Shores where the responders arrived within two minutes!

I've no idea of the capabilities of the local hospital. I would guess that for any kind of major medical stuff (e.g. heart surgery or joint replacement), you probably have to go to Seattle even today, which is about what I would expect in a county with a population of under 75,000 people. Off duty EMS staff do a considerable amount of work transporting people to hospitals in Seattle, Tacoma or Olympia. My HMO's nearest clinic is in Olympia so I will have to travel for checkups and eyeglasses anyway. Maybe if Ocean Shores becomes an in-state retirement Mecca, they will open a branch there. But I think Sequim has probably beaten them to the punch on that one.

You have given me something to think about.
I work a locums job in the ED at GHCH. It is a relatively new, moderate sized community hospital capable of managing most medical, general surgical and orthopedic problems. Complicated medical problems will result in transfers to Olympia or Seattle. For instance there is no inpatient dialysis available at GHCH. Serious trauma cases get stabilized there and transferred to Harborview. For heart attacks we give TPA and then transfer to a facility in Olympia or Seattle that has a cath lab. The bottom line is if I was a reasonably healthy retiree I wouldn't be too concerned about access to care.

In terms of living there it is very depressed economically and this was true before the recession hit and worse now. Every other store front in the downtown area is empty or boarded up. Two of the remaining major employers shut down in the last year leaving the hospital as the largest single employer in the county. I would anticipate housing prices to decline further as unemployment rises...

DD