Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-13-2017, 11:47 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My best wishes for you and your husband. Echoing others, the 100% survivor option is your best approach. I don't have Stage 4, but I am living with cancer. As my wife and I did, out of necessity you must look at this from a cold and hard perspective.
You are 10 years younger than your husband. For that reason alone you are far more likely to outlive him. Factor in his cancer, and the odds increase more for you to outlive him. No one has a crystal ball, hence my comment about the "cold and hard" perspective.
Again, I wish you and your family the best.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2017, 03:02 PM   #22

AngelicEnergy - We're so glad that you joined and posted and are getting helpful information from other members, and we're all so sorry that you are here for such a difficult reason.

I think mystang52 hit the nail on the head - even without the cancer, you are statistically likely to outlive your DH by quite a few years, so that's why the 100% survivor benefit is financially the right call.

It might be helpful for the two of you to have some heart-to-heart discussions over the next several months about what is most important, what your hopes and fears are, etc. You both might benefit from cancer support groups of one kind or another as well.

We wish you both all the best!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:53 PM   #23

100 percent survivor

No lump sum, you have not only yourself but the child to consider. DH is going to get SSDI to add to his income now.

If you are worried about DH living for 40 years and you predeceasing him, take out a cheap term policy on yourself to cover the difference.
MarieIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:01 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Plan for the worst but hope for the best! - great words to live by! Prayers for you all!
Travelfreek is offline   Reply With Quote