Join Early Retirement Today

Return on S&P500 = 90 day treasuries since 1999
Old 08-29-2007, 09:12 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Return on S&P500 = 90 day treasuries since 1999

I spotted this chart on another forum...is anyone else concerned when stock returns appear to be doing well year-to-year, yet over the medium term they've been mostly flat versus a "risk-free" bond. Then when you take out inflation (+3%/year), taxes (~2%/year), and the decline in the value of the dollar (depends on which foreign currency you benchmark but it's substantial, as anyone who's been to Europe lately knows) and you've actually lost purchasing power over the last 8 years.

Obviously, this chart was put together by a perma-bear, he selected a particular time scale to make his point...but even so, I think it's easy to be fooled by reporting a 10% "average annual return" on your investments but in reality your true return is much less. The author also ignores the benefits from a more diversified portfolio over this time period - but when I look at returns YTD 2007, there seems to be a lot of correlation between large cap, small cap, and international stocks, particularly on the market's bad days, so I'm not sure diversification is enough to save us all.

Of course, I don't know what other investment options there are that
would have a better chance of generating real returns...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2007, 09:17 AM   #2

What exactly is your point here ?

Is it that there are select periods when being in bonds or T-bills will outperform the market ?

Should that be a surprise to anyone ?

I would note that this chart includes a very rough patch for stocks after the tech bubble burst.

Just look at a 10-year S&P500 chart to let you know that the S&P500 is just now breaking/approaching its peak from 2000.

Lets do the same comparison over the last 20 years and over the last 30 years and over the last 5 years. That should be enlightening.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:26 AM   #3

That 3 Month Treasury Bill Total Return line looks fake to me, and there is no source cited for the data presented. Blech.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:01 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Maybe I can dig up another chart that is more accurate.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
That 3 Month Treasury Bill Total Return line looks fake to me, and there is no source cited for the data presented. Blech.
Back of the envelope says it looks OK to me. 4% yield over an 8 year period gives you a 37% gain.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:31 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
Back of the envelope says it looks OK to me. 4% yield over an 8 year period gives you a 37% gain.
I think the graph looks like that because of the 8 year period that was selected, and it might look different if it was graphed over 15-20 years.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I think the graph looks like that because of the 8 year period that was selected, and it might look different if it was graphed over 15-20 years.
Of course. I think the point of the graph is that expected future returns on stocks are low during times of crazy valuations, and that's exactly what we got -- low returns after crazy valuations.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:38 AM   #8

or move the starting point of that 8 year period back a year or two and you could double your cumulative return.

Bottom line - data mining can produce beautiful gems to support whatever point you want to make.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:39 AM   #9

Factor in taxes, and the SP would still be a winner.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
Factor in taxes, and the SP would still be a winner.
Factor in emotional investors who sell low and buy high, and I think the t-bills would be the winner.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:51 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Actually, The pic reminded me how much better off you'd be as a DCA-er during such a period.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:01 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

I checked the chart against the returns of VFINX and Prime MM over 1999-YTD. Prime MM and VFINX had same returns, which were minimal in real terms.

Of course, same thing happened from 1968-1982, both TSM and Tbills had same real return [according to Ken French's data library + Bureau of Labor Stats site]. Guess what happened, post 1982?

btw - Coffee House portfolio, Wellesly, Wellington, and similar Life Strategy fund all beat VFINX and Prime MM from 1999-ytd.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ats5g View Post
btw - Coffee House portfolio, Wellesly, Wellington, and similar Life Strategy fund all beat VFINX and Prime MM from 1999-ytd.
Yep - the guy making this graph had the benefit of hindsight to pick just about the worst performing major index over just about the worst time frame (he could have started a year or so later to make returns seem even worse).
Old 08-29-2007, 11:15 AM   #14

Hey, he could have picked NASDAQ. The S&P500 is the standard proxy for the market. BTW, bonds did pretty well during that period as well (thanks to declining interest rates).
Old 08-29-2007, 11:23 AM   #15

BTW, I just realized that the chart came from Hussman.

http://hussmanfunds.com/wmc/wmc070827.htm

This guy is a pretty rigorous economist who also happens to believe that we're currently in a period of high valuations (masked by extremely high recent earnings), and that future returns won't be much better than t-bills for a while....
Old 08-29-2007, 11:54 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Well, it just goes to show, we should have cashed out our equities in 2000 and bought treasuries. Then in 2003 we should have gotten back into equities. Duh, what were we thinking? I wish someone would have shown me this chart back in 2000.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Duh, what were we thinking? I wish someone would have shown me this chart back in 2000.
If someone did, would you have believed it? :-)
Old 08-29-2007, 12:01 PM   #18

Yeah, if you read the article, that's essentially what he's telling you now.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:24 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
Of course, I don't know what other investment options there are that would have a better chance of generating real returns...

TIPS were raging bargains at the time, and not just prospectively.

Ha
Old 08-29-2007, 12:26 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Better hope so anyway!