Returns year to date

67walkon

Recycles dryer sheets
What sort of returns are you guys seeing year to date on your investment accounts? I just met with the guy from one of those brokerage firms you guys don't like and our returns are in the 9-10% range for the year. When I retire next year, I haven't decided whether to stay with them or pull everything and go to Vanguard or something. It would be interesting to know what sort of returns smarter, more experienced people are getting.

Thanks.

Don't know about smarter, but psssst Wellesley is a pretty good proxy for the AA of many of us. According to yahoo.finance -

YTD Return*: 9.59%

-ERD50

I was 13.7% (annualized rate) YTD through Oct 31 and am 11.3% (annualized rate) through the end of play yesterday, so broadly the same or perhaps a bit better.

Target AA for investment portfolio is 42 domestic stock/18 international stock/40 fixed income.

I felt like I've taken quite a smack-down these past few weeks, but I just ran the numbers, and it's not quite as bad as I thought. As of yesterday's close, I'm up about 10% for the year. However, I was up about 15% at the end of October, and about 16% at the end of September.

I would not consider myself, "smarter" or "more experienced". YTD our IRA accounts are up 8.5%. Our AA is approx 45/55 (equities/bonds). However we don't pay any fees out of that (we're with Vanguard)

I would not be surprised if some of the "YTD" returns mentioned in this thread are from the last monthly statement or "Year-thru-October 31st".

Don't know about smarter, but psssst Wellesley is a pretty good proxy for the AA of many of us. According to yahoo.finance -

YTD Return*: 9.59%

-ERD50

Something I'm looking to do come February when a CD matures. Was getting 4.5% for the last four years but you know what has happened to fixed income investments. I'm leaning to some Wellesley conversatives. Any suggestions on conversative portfolios?

Right around 10 percent and falling in light of present day political gamesmanship. :mad:

9.9% YTD in spite of this week's disaster.

I can't access any of my retirement money without penalties for several more years.

There is a finance professor who appeared on a local NPR radio broadcast monthly who always said you are not in a "price accumulation" mode, but rather a "share accumulation" mode. So, to me, the price drops lately may be a good thing since I get more shares, especially with the capital gains and dividend distributions that are upcoming (assuming reinvestment).

I think it's the same thing in reverse when you are decumulating, but you may need to pay more attention.

AS of 10/31 - 11.4%
As of today - 8.5%

Asset allocation 55/45

Mine was as of today. I guess it's doing pretty decent. My wife and I like the young guy who handles the accounts and the overall returns are reasonable, so maybe we'll stay with them a bit.

According to TSP, my last 12 months return is (as of Oct. 31st) 27.52%. I don't know what it is from 1/1/12 to date. Also, haven't looked in a couple of weeks, but at last glance, Vanguard said wife's rollover IRA was around 8.5% or so, roughly the same for our Roth IRA's.

Per M* Portfolio tracker tool, total return YTD = 8.23 %

current AA = 32/65/3

VEUSX, VWALX, and VTSAX are leading the way...:dance:

Last edited:
I can't access any of my retirement money without penalties for several more years.

There is a finance professor who appeared on a local NPR radio broadcast monthly who always said you are not in a "price accumulation" mode, but rather a "share accumulation" mode. So, to me, the price drops lately may be a good thing since I get more shares, especially with the capital gains and dividend distributions that are upcoming (assuming reinvestment).

I think it's the same thing in reverse when you are decumulating, but you may need to pay more attention.

This is how I'm trying to look at the recent downturn, as well. We did very well buying on the downturn in 2008-09, so trying to keep the long-term perspective.

I just realized one thing. Do the numbers above also include the amount of money saved this year or just the interest on the total invested assets as of last January ?

i follow the fidelity insight income and capital preservation model which is only 3% equities as of right now, up around 9% or so.

Back
Top Bottom