Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-01-2018, 05:05 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

RIFs don't just happen because you want to go. Now if your company is going to do a RIF anyway... then you may be able to get a ride. I would agree with those who say to be ready to leave the day you announce your intention, or not too long after. And remember RIF's don't always come with parting gifts.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2018, 06:19 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It sounds like you want to give notice in the hopes your boss will not assign you challenging work. If that is the case, it seems like the boss would be right to show you the door. Probably best to commit yourself to quiet effort or pull the plug immediately. Most of us know our work environment well enough to suss out how much notice is appropriate. It is easy to see how similarly situated employees have been treated in the past.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:21 AM   #23

If you're refusing to take on work assignments with more than a year to go it sounds like you are what we used to call an IPR - In-Plant Retiree. A year is a long time to coast.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:46 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
Never, never, never tell anyone in advance!

Never.
+1
Rickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:49 AM   #25

This was not planned, but DH got a package (1 year salary + healthcare) when he challenged the companies' strategy and continued to press his opinion. It took awhile, but they obviously got irritated by his constant disagreement with what they were doing.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:53 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

It all depends on your relationship with your manager, and sometimes his or her hands will be tied.

A Megacorp colleague of mine did something similar early in 2015, right after his good performance review - told his management that we was planning to retire in 2017 so he did not want any major assignments. In April of 2015 he was laid off. His manager did not want to do it, but his upper management attitude was if you are going to coast, not on our dime. He had been counting on those last 2 years for his retirement finances.

So I would not tell them unless you are ready to go at any notice. I would recommend you do what I did when I got a project in 2016, during my "OMY Glide Path" to retirement. I told my management sure, I'll take it, but this is also an excellent project from building others skills on, so assigning a couple of folks I could mentor would be great. They agreed, and I started the project and gradually let the other two folks get more skills and responsibility with. I enjoyed the mentoring, I made sure the other folks got all the glory, management gave me more flexibility with deadlines because of the mentoring, and it was a lot less stress and perfect for my glide path. By the middle of 2017 I was able to turn it over completely to the other folks.

I did tell my management in August of 2017 that I would likely be retiring within a year. However, I was prepared for then to drop me at any time and did not include any finances beyond that month in my retirement plan. I still ended up getting a raise and large bonus the end of that year, and even bigger bonuses this year, including one after I had retired. I am sure my attitude for that 2016 project was a factor.

I would only tell them if you are ready to go now - and do not assume you will get a severance if you do.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:19 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickt View Post
+1

+1
After getting advice from this forum and from my labor lawyer friend, I gave the 30-day minimum required notice. I did start transitioning and documenting my work months prior to my departure, but in a subtle way and somewhat on my own time so no one noticed. I was asked to consult but declined, although I did offer to be available for questions or to help my replacement transition in once hired at no charge. I got a couple of brief calls, but it took them a year to hire my replacement and by then we had all moved on.

So glad I didn’t spill the beans sooner. I was in a C-level role. Once people know you’re leaving, your ability to influence key decisions drops substantially. And because I had done a lot of preparation before announcing my departure, by the time I left after 30 days, everything was fully transitioned to interim solutions.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:26 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Came close to spilling the beans yesterday. I genuinely appreciate what my customer has done for me. Still, I'll follow my plan, and not deviate. It is hard at times to control emotions, but the best path is stick to your plan, and give notice as you think the company needs or deserves.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:30 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
This was not planned, but DH got a package (1 year salary + healthcare) when he challenged the companies' strategy and continued to press his opinion. It took awhile, but they obviously got irritated by his constant disagreement with what they were doing.
I did that, and got included in the next bunch laid off (no packages).
Old 12-01-2018, 10:32 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Reveal my intent??

Definitely do not reveal your intent. Nothing good can become of it - to you. The company will find a way to benefit from your advance notice. Just give the amount of notice required, and don’t let anyone at work know of your plans.

I announced my retirement in October to retire in April. I was part owner in the company. Rather than distribute profits to the owners at the end of the year, those in charge decided to keep the profits in the company. I don’t know if this decision was made based on my decision to retire, but I believe that I would have received my share of the profits if I would have waited until the following January to give notice.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:51 PM   #31

I am in the ‘don’t tell them’ camp.

In my case, my megacorp was going to RIF a couple of hundred people and each department had to send in a list of names to be let go. Those folks were going to get a severance package.

I was a dept. manager and, not so coincidentally, had been interviewing for a position with another firm. Even though I did not have anything in writing, I was pretty confident I was going to get an offer. So, I struck one of the names from our dept’s list and substituted my own.

Megacorp’s response to this gesture was to refuse to give me a severance package because I left voluntarily and was not RIF’d. It was not a big deal because I did get the new position, but I definitely learned my lesson about what to expect from a megacorp.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 02:27 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
I am in the ‘don’t tell them’ camp.

In my case, my megacorp was going to RIF a couple of hundred people and each department had to send in a list of names to be let go. Those folks were going to get a severance package.

I was a dept. manager and, not so coincidentally, had been interviewing for a position with another firm. Even though I did not have anything in writing, I was pretty confident I was going to get an offer. So, I struck one of the names from our dept’s list and substituted my own.

Megacorp’s response to this gesture was to refuse to give me a severance package because I left voluntarily and was not RIF’d. It was not a big deal because I did get the new position, but I definitely learned my lesson about what to expect from a megacorp.
In your case, I agree with Mega's decision to not give you a package. Unless you could clearly show that the person whose name you crossed off The RIF list was more valuable than you and should be retained over you, you did Mega a disservice by substituting yourself. Or, put another way, your action could only be justified, and result in a package for you, if you could honestly show Mega would be better off keeping person X and letting you go (even if you had no other job opportunity).

The fact that you were going to leave anyway does not justify altering the list.

Nothing personal CoolRich. It's just that I've been through this personally (from both sides of the RIF process) and understand that:

1. The company needs to spend severance package money to maximize its survivability going forward.

2. The company must be consistent. Packages to RIF victims. No packages to volunteer quits, job changers or retirees. Any hint of inconsistency can lead to serious legal issues (which are what the severance packages are designed to avoid!).

I completely agree with your position of being in the "don't tell them camp." And congrats on the new position!
Old 12-01-2018, 02:37 PM   #33
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by albireo13 View Post
I am thinking I just let my mgr know I'm going in 2020. I know this may not be the best but, I hate to live a lie.

Is this bad?
At worst you'll be let go now. At best you'll be marginalized from now until retirement.

Unless you would be happy either way, keep it to yourself and give your notice when you are ready to leave, not before.

Quote:
At this point I really don't care anymore about my career. We are ok financially for retirement.
Then you should hand in your notice and leave now, instead of playing games and waiting until 2020.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:07 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
In your case, I agree with Mega's decision to not give you a package. Unless you could clearly show that the person whose name you crossed off The RIF list was more valuable than you and should be retained over you, you did Mega a disservice by substituting yourself. Or, put another way, your action could only be justified, and result in a package for you, if you could honestly show Mega would be better off keeping person X and letting you go (even if you had no other job opportunity).

The fact that you were going to leave anyway does not justify altering the list.

Nothing personal CoolRich. It's just that I've been through this personally (from both sides of the RIF process) and understand that ...
No worries. You make a good point.

In fact, if megacorp had made any effort to explain this, it would have gone down better with me. Instead, the HR rep mentioned it in passing during my exit interview*. "Oh, by the way, since you resigned and weren't let go ..."

[*My manager was "too busy" to handle my exit interview and punted the task to HR.]
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:35 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

As others have said, 2020 is too far off to give "notice".

I told my boss about 6 months prior to when I wanted to leave, but in the back of my mind, if he told me to leave in two weeks, I would have been okay with that.

As it turned out, I did stay for six months, and it was actually quite enjoyable. Was able to have a smooth transition with my replacement, refuse projects, etc, and generally not worry about the BS and office politics that seem to be inherent in a company.

One of the best comments from my boss was when I asked to take some time off. My boss said - "Eastnortheast, for the next few months, I can't say no to you!!" Nice to know that the power dynamic had shifted a bit from teh company to me, at least for the last few months.

As nice as it was, I had no desire to continue on past the six months that I gave them.
eastnortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 05:46 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

You work for MegaCorp, so you know they have a Succession Plan. Don't worry about your leaving negatively impacting the company.

Personally, I waited till after January to announce my plan to retire in a couple of months. January 1 is when the year's vacation started again. Retirees, even us managers, were paid for unused vacation. Five weeks of unused vacation pay helped buy a new motorcycle!

I agree with others that announcing for 2020 is way too far ahead.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:41 AM   #37
Dryer sheet aficionado

How much notice would they give you?

I gave a year, and got to train some people that did not work out.

Then, with two months to go, I reminded the boss again. He came down on me hard, saying they could not train replacement in time. It was a cold two months, but everyone got what they wanted.

In retrospect, it was never goning to be an easy exit.
jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:45 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
That rarely happens. Usually they just walk you out with no package.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:18 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
That rarely happens. Usually they just walk you out with no package.
Even under the worst outcome, you always get a package , Final check and cardboard box for your personal items.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:22 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Even under the worst outcome, you always get a package , Final check and cardboard box for your personal items.
That's least that they can do.