Join Early Retirement Today

Reveal my intent??
Old 11-30-2018, 04:59 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Reveal my intent??

Well, I am so done lately with MegaCorp politics and ways of working. My manager is talking about having me lead a new project lately. I am ready to go in 2020.

I find it hard to go along and take on new responsibility. I am thinking I just let my mgr know I'm going in 2020. I know this may not be the best but, I hate to live a lie.

Is this bad?

Hey, maybe they'll let me go and give me a package!?! : )

At this point I really don't care anymore about my career. We are ok financially for retirement.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2018, 05:07 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

2020 is still a ways off...so not so sure I would be making any waves about leaving anytime soon. In my case, I didn't start making hints until I was about 6 months out and didn't tell *any* of my co-w*rkers (or immediate boss) until my retirement application and date was approved and set in stone.

Then again, if you are FI and can throw in the towel at anytime, then f* it...what's the harm?
Old 11-30-2018, 05:11 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Early or late 2020? Make a difference. Would the project be done before your project end date?

I don't understand your comment about living a lie, they are still paying you so return expect to be a least somewhat productive until the end. I'm guessing this is why lots of people get walking when they give extended notice.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:11 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

It seems there is only one potential upside (being given a nice package) and many potential downsides (being laid off without a nice package and treated like garbage in the meantime) to your idea.

Where I work, the only difference between resigning and retiring is that the person who is retiring doesn't plan to take another job. 2 weeks is the best notice period for either scenario.
FinanceGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:29 PM   #5

My standard answer is, don't hint about the date you plan to retire until you are ready to be walked out that day.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:32 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by albireo13 View Post
Well, I am so done lately with MegaCorp politics and ways of working. My manager is talking about having me lead a new project lately. I am ready to go in 2020.

I find it hard to go along and take on new responsibility. I am thinking I just let my mgr know I'm going in 2020. I know this may not be the best but, I hate to live a lie.

Is this bad?

Hey, maybe they'll let me go and give me a package!?! : )

At this point I really don't care anymore about my career. We are ok financially for retirement.
You bet it is bad. Too many bad things can happen! If you are planning on 2020, then keep that your plan. Who knows? You may be RIF'd with 12 months severance next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceGeek View Post
It seems there is only one potential upside (being given a nice package) and many potential downsides (being laid off without a nice package and treated like garbage in the meantime) to your idea.

Where I work, the only difference between resigning and retiring is that the person who is retiring doesn't plan to take another job. 2 weeks is the best notice period for either scenario.
Pretty much, that is what I've seen. If I were in a Management position, maybe I'd give up to 6 weeks.

OP, there are many threads about this. It is totally up to you. This is where you have the upper hand at the moment. Don't think for a moment that your company would give you >12 months notice. A lot can happen between now and 2020. Your plans could change, either by choice or necessity. Life is strange. I'd take the project and keep your primary report involved as much as you can without tipping your plan. That way, when you decide to leave, you don't leave them stranded. It will be their choice whether your report will be given the management role when you are gone. Then it won't be your problem.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:32 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Are you in a bonus situation?
If you are truly FI now, why not retire now?
Old 11-30-2018, 05:41 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I used to love corporate politics and watching the top management lie to employees.

Like the time the Executive VP stood up in a branch meeting and told 45 employees their jobs were stable and would be there when the proposal to consolidate was in his briefcase. We knew better. Not one person took a transfer from Atlanta or Dallas to the snow country north of Chicago.

But what I really enjoyed was seeing that lying dog get terminated 6 months Then the comptroller of our $15 billion company walked out about the same time. Then our CEO retired.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:48 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
My standard answer is, don't hint about the date you plan to retire until you are ready to be walked out that day.
At my old company if you gave a two week notice the boss would say "two hours should be enough to clean out your desk"
Old 11-30-2018, 06:38 PM   #10

I gave 7 months notice and it was at least 5 months too long. Everything changed when I told them, and it was fairly painful. In retrospect, I'd have gone with 6 weeks.

Good luck with whatever you decide. At least YOU know there's light at the end of the tunnel - not sure they really need to know it too. JMHO, of course.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:55 PM   #11

Keep your cards close to your chest. When you are gone from the company you will just be another former employee.
JDARNELL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:06 PM   #12

The chances are good, that you will regret it if you do.

Clear out your desk first and give the least possible notice for what is acceptable in your position. The time between giving notice and leaving (for many although I'm sure there are exceptions) is stressful and somewhat depressing.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:40 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by albireo13 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Are you in a bonus situation?
If you are truly FI now, why not retire now?
+1. Seems the answer is right there.

One of my favorite lines from a song:

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/eagles/alreadygone.html

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key "

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:42 PM   #14

Quote:
^ This.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:43 PM   #15

Are you sure that telling your manager you plan to bail in 2020 would get you out of that project?

I wouldn't say anything until you're within the notice time frame you plan to give.

I mentioned my plans to some coworkers, thinking I'd cut out at the beginning of the year. But then I got OMYS, and feel a little foolish about my premature announcement. I'm glad I haven't said anything to my manager (though maybe he's heard something).
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:28 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I find it hard to go along and take on new responsibility.
At this point I really don't care anymore about my career.

This is the issue- you do not care about your career so why take on more responsibility.
Only you know if telling mgr about retirement in 2020 will change the plans.

Could you suggest someone else for the project and offer to mentor them ?
Do you have any goals prior to FIRE ?
Octogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:35 PM   #17

Never, never, never tell anyone in advance!

Never.
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:41 PM   #18

It is so dependent on you personal work situation. I gave a very long notice. Long story, but I was there two years after I told my leadership that I was retiring. I had no doubt or concern that I would be treated well.

OTOH, given that you even asked the question, I believe the answer below is the best advice.

Quote:
I echo the comment/question, if you can leave now, why are you still there? Would you be able to leave if something crazy happened tomorrow like a 2008 market meltdown? That’s a bit extream, but you need to answer that for yourself.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
At my old company if you gave a two week notice the boss would say "two hours should be enough to clean out your desk"
At my old company, that's how it was handled for people we hoped would quit. Or people who were going to a competitor. Never for someone retiring in good standing.

I had bonuses and equity comp. So I kept my retirement plans to myself until I was ready to go. It was a little awkward as they had just more-or-less forced me into a new position and I had to go through the motions of setting new priorities for the organization and similar corporate re-org shenanigans.

Then, right after bonus in 2013, I told the boss I was going to retire. My intent was to leave in a few weeks or maybe a month. He asked if I could keep it quiet for a month while they formulated a replacement strategy. I said OK. For most of that month, they tried various strategies to get me to change my mind.

Once it was apparent I was actually leaving, they announced my retirement and the replacement. Then asked me to stay for "a while" to help with the transition. That turned into 7 months. But it worked out OK as they let me consume 4 months of accumulated vacation time, which otherwise would have been cashed out at 75 cents on the dollar. So I wasn't actually working much during that period. Mostly I was just helping my replacement get up to speed (by phone and email) and calling into some conference calls on an acquisition project I had been working. I didn't physically go into work until the last day, to turn in my laptop and badge.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:11 AM   #20

Yeah, don't tell people. They won't tell you if they're likely to lay you off in 2019 or 2020, and coworkers just won't understand.

That said, I did tell my manager I was considering retiring in the next two years because we've worked together before she was my manager and I didn't want to blindside her personally. And I am mentally and financially ready to handle getting let go now or leaving if things get too uncomfortable.

I'll just say if you tell people you'll get all sorts of resistance. It could open up new possible opportunities, it could get you walked out the door, and it could make your remaining time more tedious as people badger you about it trying to change your mind. If you tell people, be prepared for how to deal with any and all of that.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote