Rhode Island Public Pension System Reform

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue I have is that you seem to project what you think 'people believe' on others. I feel you are generally wrong in thinking that when most people hear about the big pensions/abuses in the news, that they believe that applies to the average public worker. I get the sense that you want to use that as a kind of 'shield' against any critique of public pensions. Kind of a 'red herring' approach.

And if your pension is less generous than the average public pension, that does nothing to change how we should view the average.
-ERD50

ERD, My concerns are based upon what I read and what other's tell me. Many of my friends and acquaintances actually are surprised to find out that my pension does not include medical coverage. They assume it does. They also assume I will get a COLA that equals inflation, not matter what the inflation rate is. And some do believe public employees don't pay into SS. (Until, of course, I inform them differently.) They read about lifeguards in So. California and extrapolate that to teachers in another state. So, yes, I guess my comments do reflect these mistaken beliefs since that is what I am exposed to.

My point is that pensions and benefits vary for all of us - private and public. So, comparisons are difficult at best.

The devil, as they say, is in the details!l

My guess is if we all sat down over a cup of coffee, most of us would be in agreement on major items of concern.

3. From reading the link in an early post regarding the WA State employees "rights", it's clear to me that some confuse 'benefits' with 'rights'. We have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, the right to free speech; not the right to a sweet retirement package.

I would agree with you up to a point. I do think that if a person has faithfully worked for many years with the understanding of certain benefits, then those benefits have been earned and, like the wages, the worker has a right to them. I am assuming that the benefits are, of course, at a reasonable level. How one defines reasonable is a matter of discussion. Back to that Devil who lingers in the Details.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom