Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-19-2015, 06:36 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by krotoole View Post
This thread is really funny. The people who took the above survey know too little ... But the people on this board know too much!!

This thread reminds me of a really funny Big Bang episode where Sheldon goes to get a driver's license and is asked to take a test. When asked how many car lengths you should stay behind the car in front of you, he says it can't be answered because a car length isn't a standard unit of measure. There is a question on braking distance or something similar and he starts talking about co-efficients of friction.

I love this board. We're where Sheldon would hang out if he were into finance instead of physics :-)
+1 We were all able to come up with the "correct" answers but we over thought the questions. The resulting thread is more fun than endless, "I got em all" answers. This reminds me of a couple of mistakes I made in school when I thought a standardized test question was a trick question designed to make me go for the too obvious answer when on deeper reflection you could see why that answer was wrong. It always turned out they were looking for the low thought answer -- irritating as hell.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2015, 06:40 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by krotoole View Post
This thread reminds me of a really funny Big Bang episode where Sheldon goes to get a driver's license and is asked to take a test. When asked how many car lengths you should stay behind the car in front of you, he says it can't be answered because a car length isn't a standard unit of measure. There is a question on braking distance or something similar and he starts talking about co-efficients of friction.
I actually flunked my first written driver license exam because of a (in my view) strangely worded question.

Basically it went like this: On an intersection before proceeding:
  • I must pay attention
  • Everyone must pay attention
  • Everyone except you must pay attention

I chose option 1 because I can't influence other people's behavior, let alone check whether they actually are paying attention.

Correct answer was number 2, because that's what it said in textbook.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:46 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
I actually flunked my first written driver license exam because of a (in my view) strangely worded question.

• I must pay attention

I chose option 1 because I can't influence other people's behavior, let alone check whether they actually are paying attention.

Ha, this reminded me of my road test at age 16. I was driving down a straight-away with no signs and no obstructions. The test monitor suddenly said "stop!" I assumed he was trying to trick me into making a sudden unwarranted stop so I slowly and carefully proceeded. He gave me a raft of sh** but when I explained my reasoning he told me to listen to him next time and continued with the test. I got my license.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:21 AM   #24

If we're so stupid, why aren't we poor?
Old 11-19-2015, 09:29 AM   #25

Because we're lucky
Old 11-19-2015, 10:01 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
If we're so stupid, why aren't we poor?
Not poor as a country put the % of people in poverty in the US is higher than many of the other industrialized countries.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:26 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Not poor as a country put the % of people in poverty in the US is higher than many of the other industrialized countries.
My "if we're so stupid...." was meant to be about the folks here on his forum, not rich as a country.

Having said that, financial illiteracy and poverty go hand in hand.

But I'd settle for reading literacy as a start; not sure we even have a good handle on that.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:19 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
My "if we're so stupid...." was meant to be about the folks here on his forum, not rich as a country.

Having said that, financial illiteracy and poverty go hand in hand.

But I'd settle for reading literacy as a start; not sure we even have a good handle on that.
Looking at the results tabulated by country of a few of the other "tests" at Try the test - OECD brings to my warped mind a tongue twisting play on the old "How much wood would a woodchuck..." rhyme (scores for problem solving, financial, and mathematics testing of students in Shanghai is much, much higher than in the US).
  • How many burgers would Phil need to flip if flipping burgers was Phil's only source of income to buy an Iphone?
  • How many Iphones must Zhang's employees assemble per hour if Zhang's Iphone assembly factory is the only source of income for Zhang's family?
Old 11-19-2015, 11:29 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post

• I must pay attention

Tongue in cheek wise I can select option 3 because I hung out with Vanguard enough decades for them to come out with full auto life cycle type funds so I don't have to look anymore since 2006.

heh heh heh - a few good stocks for the male hormones during football season since it's been painful to watch the Saint's and I'm reluctant to switch to the Chief's.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:33 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Passed. The questions should be taken at a very simple face value. Don't read too much into them. This should be called a simple math test and not a financial test.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:50 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkern View Post
This should be called a simple math test and not a financial test.
Then the results and our ranking should be even more disturbing (but not surprising).
Old 11-20-2015, 07:54 AM   #32

Simple to get 5 out of 5 on this one. Just another common sense "numbers" test IMO.

numbers isn't hard
Old 11-20-2015, 10:09 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Simple to get 5 out of 5 on this one. Just another common sense "numbers" test IMO.

numbers isn't hard
The chart would suggest that a whole bunch of people in the US would strongly disagree.

But hey, that's not fair. Let's ask them questions that are really important, like the first names of all the Kardashians.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:45 AM   #34

Quote:
The chart would suggest that a whole bunch of people in the US would strongly disagree.

But hey, that's not fair. Let's ask them questions that are really important, like the first names of all the Kardashians.
I asked the DW to take the "numbers test". You would think after almost 40 years of marriage I'd know better than that. So much for my common sense in dealing with women. Numbers are sooooo much easier.

And it it wasn't for Bruce (or Catilyn) I would not know who the "Kardashians" are.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:29 PM   #35

Quote:
That one I would fail. Don't have a clue.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:29 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
That one I would fail. Don't have a clue.

Neither do I. Nor do I know how many there are. And while I've heard that one or more are women, I've no clue as to gender beyond that. Since they are nicely absent from any of the TV channels we have access to, my sole source of knowledge (beyond this board) is via peripheral vision in the checkout isle. Another reason to shop when lines are at their shortest.