Rich_in_Tampa ESRs!

Trips are planned - one to kids in San Fran, another to visit friends relaxing in Naples, and another to a meeting in Toronto. Other kids will get us on Memorial Day. Gotta get the towing installed on the RV then off we go somewhere or other.

I've got the itch to rearrange my home office/cave. I talked the DW into letting me move my favorite easy chair into the cave so I can keep my napping skills in shape. No new toys on the list yet, unless you count a cell phone.
Yeah, but what will you do all day? :angel:

My 36 year-old daughter told me on the phone last night that she was proud of me.
We're proud of you too.....:flowers:

There is a party being mentioned but it sounds like that will await my total and final departure which could be months away (open-ended at 2 days a week, to a point).

I recommend you do the party now rather than wait. Once you go part-time for a while the thrill of departure loses its edge, plus you risk hearing a lot of, "A party for Rich? Rich, who?"

Today I voluntarily met with an employer-sponsored "retirement counsellor." My goal was a sanity check of my ER plans. Not helpful, but reassuring. Me: "Any last minute suggestions before I take the plunge?" Him: "Just have fun." OK

That sounded painless enough :)

I had another call from Schwab today confirming that at present I don't want to do anything with my 401(k) this year except leave it (Schwab manage my employer 401(k) plan). This is the second phone call following the letter I received asking the same question. They are keen to try and get it rolled over into one of their accounts :LOL: .... and I have now told them 3 times that I'm doing anything until next year. (this year I've rolled my T-IRA into a Roth and since that was all after-tax $, I don't want a rollover IRA diluting the process).

:LOL:

REW, about the party, I would really rather pass altogether. Maybe if I don't bring it up...

When I retired recently (1/30/10), my wish was to not have a party. I suggested that our work group go out to lunch together rather than a party. That is what we did and it was very nice as all in our group actually attended. I chose a Mediterranean restaurant which allowed for vegetarian choices as one of the group doesn't eat it if it has a face.

I was not able to escape the party issue however as my family decided to have a retirement party for me. We had it a couple weeks after I retired and it was very nice. Several of my high school classmates were there along with friends and family.

Good luck with your choices for retirement celebrations and most of all enjoy your retirement! :)

will be semi-retired by the end of March, 2010.
Among the envy group are a few that I would have sworn were much better off than I am. Mostly, though, everyone has been very gracious.

Happy Holiday

Rich,

Congrats.

I share the same exit date as you.
Ive also seen folks who have more resouces than I respond with envy.
This spooks me a bit.
However, I think some folks are just so timid and risk averse (esp. after the past two years in the market) that they are psychologically hunkered down. There is some cognitive dissoance involved with voluntarily leaving a good paying job at a time when:
1) a job is touted as ones most important asset
2)unemployment is where it is
3) economic uncertainty remains high

Despite all this I'm " all systems go".

BTW-I may be exploring Tampa and environs as a potential landing site.
If so I may ask for your input.

Cheers,

I continue to be cornered by colleagues who wonder how this can be. Befuddled. I don't say much.
Rich, is this because they can't understand how you financed it, or because they can't fathom your leaving medicine?

And congratulations!

Ha

Rich,
I share the same exit date as you...

BTW-I may be exploring Tampa and environs as a potential landing site.
If so I may ask for your input.
And congratulations to you as well. I must have missed your story.

Feel free to be in touch re: this area. We like it a lot. PM me if you like.

Rich, is this because they can't understand how you financed it, or because they can't fathom your leaving medicine
Good question. Probably both but mostly the money, I'm guessing. And in the culture in which I work, age 61 is young to FIRE.

I basically retired three times so the first party was huge with tons of people ,presents and a lot of fun . The second was a little more low key and by the third it was pizza at lunch so enjoy your party since you are probably not going for three times (Are You ?).

Last day is March 31. So I guess it's really 7 days, 5 work days.

:clap:
Now....have you really thought this through?
smiley-confused001.gif
smiley-confused007.gif
smiley-confused005.gif
smiley-confused009.gif
smiley-confused010.gif
smiley-confused003.gif
smiley-confused002.gif

Have I ever mentioned on this forum I like hairy legs? :greetings10:

No, No, No, absolutely not. :nonono::nonono::nonono:

A picture of hairy legs would violate the decency standards on this site :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom