Join Early Retirement Today

Rich_in_Tampa ESRs!
Old 12-10-2009, 07:44 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Rich_in_Tampa ESRs!

Well, it's official: I gave notice in early November, and will be semi-retired by the end of March, 2010. (Held off posting so I didn't steal any of W2R's well-earned thunder.)

I am excited about with the plan. For the first few months, I'll put in some part-time hours where I currently work (.25 FTE), to ease the transition and recruit my successor (that's weird, BTW).

Beyond that, I received some part-time offers through the grapevine, and I think I picked a good one. It looks like this:
  • Five days a month consulting near Las Vegas (we'll continue to reside in Tampa, they cover my travel). No nights, no call.
  • Three weeks "off." Work remotely (i.e. from home or RV) and quite limited, mostly occasional phone calls. No nights, no call.
  • Repeat.
But wait - there's more:

Las Vegas is less than 90 minutes by air from my son and his family, while the flight home to Tampa allows a stop-over just 90 minutes drive to my daughter and family. So, grandkid visits will increase markedly, one set or the other.

We'll be able to take occasional leisurely RV trips, popping back to work 5 days a month from wherever we happen to be, then continuing on our merry way. Maybe we'll "pre-position" the RV out west for the summer months.

Reactions from colleagues in order of frequency: disbelief ("you're joking, right"), culture shock ("you're too young for that") and envy ("wish I could do the same thing"). Among the envy group are a few that I would have sworn were much better off than I am. Mostly, though, everyone has been very gracious.

I'll keep up my clinical skills by maintaining a small consultative practice at both sites, and volunteering in a local clinic for the underserved.

I don't think I could have designed a better plan. My biggest challenge at the moment is wipe that s#%$-eating grin off my face.

Happy Holidays!

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2009, 07:49 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats! I always wondered if I'd be hesitant to retire if I really liked working. Or had a fullfulling job where I really helped people (like a doc).

Since I just push paper, I won't miss it when I eventually go.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:50 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Well, it's official: I gave notice in early November, and will be semi-retired by the end of March, 2010. (Held off posting so I didn't steal any of W2R's well-earned thunder.)

I am excited about with the plan. For the first few months, I'll put in some part-time hours where I currently work (.25 FTE), to ease the transition and recruit my successor (that's weird, BTW).

Beyond that, I received some part-time offers through the grapevine, and I think I picked a good one. It looks like this:
  • Five days a month consulting near Las Vegas (we'll continue to reside in Tampa, they cover my travel). No nights, no call.
  • Three weeks "off." Work remotely (i.e. from home or RV) and quite limited, mostly occasional phone calls. No nights, no call.
  • Repeat.
But wait - there's more:

Las Vegas is less than 90 minutes by air from my son and his family, while the flight home to Tampa allows a stop-over just 90 minutes drive to my daughter and family. So, grandkid visits will increase markedly, one set or the other.

We'll be able to take occasional leisurely RV trips, popping back to work 5 days a month from wherever we happen to be, then continuing on our merry way. Maybe we'll "pre-position" the RV out west for the summer months.

Reactions from colleagues in order of frequency: disbelief ("you're joking, right"), culture shock ("you're too young for that") and envy ("wish I could do the same thing"). Among the envy group are a few that I would have sworn were much better off than I am. Mostly, though, everyone has been very gracious.

I'll keep up my clinical skills by maintaining a small consultative practice at both sites, and volunteering in a local clinic for the underserved.

I don't think I could have designed a better plan. My biggest challenge at the moment is wipe that s#%$-eating grin off my face.

Happy Holidays!
Way to go. Congratulations! My experience says the grin is likely to stay for a long time

Now, about this "5 days a month near LV consulting: ... hmmmm.... need an assistant?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:53 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Now, about this "5 days a month near LV consulting: ... hmmmm.... need an assistant?
Can you count cards?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:53 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Happy Holidays! __________________
Rich
Tampa, FL (51% of the way to ESR. Really. I mean it. Seriously. )

Doggone Doc! Great for you! Staying a bit in touch with that doctoring sounds brilliant - sure there is some reason other than the pecuniary one that you took up the healing arts. Sounds like your plan addresses all desires. Conga Rats!
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:55 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Wonderful! The five days a month thing sounds about perfect. Plus, it will be something new and different. Now who is REW going to rag?

Many congratulations! Maybe we can do an RV ER meet up with the traveling types this year or next.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:57 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
Congrats! I always wondered if I'd be hesitant to retire if I really liked working. Or had a fullfulling job where I really helped people (like a doc).

Since I just push paper, I won't miss it when I eventually go.
I won't miss them, and they won't miss me...

Congrats, Rich, for making the leap to a pleasant-sounding ESR!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:00 AM   #8

Congratulations. It looks like you have a wonderful plan in place.

Beware. Even when the grin fades, it reoccurs in odd moments when you least expect it.
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:16 AM   #9

Congratulations RIT!!

DD
Old 12-10-2009, 08:20 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

• Repeat.
But wait - there's more:

Happy Holidays!
Great news! Between LV and Tampa,no snow for you!! Ever get up to Wisconsin to visit friends??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:21 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Now THAT's a big step, Rich! Congratulations and I hope you enjoy the new hours.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:27 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

SOMEONE HAS STOLEN Rich_in_Tampa's PASSWORD AND HIJACKED HIS ACCOUNT.

His account has been suspended pending an investigation.

All members should use this as a reminder to protect your password and change it occasionally to prevent similar embarrassment.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:35 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

All members should use this as a reminder to protect your password and change it occasionally to prevent similar embarrassment.

It's OK, REWahoo, you can come back into the room now. It's not an alien attack. Take a nice deep breath, it's just me. There, there...

Old 12-10-2009, 08:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Yeah, I knew it was too good to be true.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:39 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Great news! Between LV and Tampa,no snow for you!! Ever get up to Wisconsin to visit friends??
Not too often but we just spent some time with our MKE friends out in California and vowed to make a visit, maybe as part of an RV trip or perhaps a Summerfest weekend.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:40 AM   #16
Administrator

Congratulations Rich, that sure sounds like a great plan. All the very best going forward.

BTW, if you get facial cramps from all that smiling you can always do yoga for faces or similar stretching exercise
Old 12-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #17

Quote:

It's OK, REWahoo, you can come back into the room now. It's not an alien attack. Take a nice deep breath, it's just me. There, there...
Poor REWahoo. He just lost one of his favorite pass times.

Seriously Rich, good luck, sounds like the perfect plan. Well done!
Old 12-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

That's great news Rich. You deserve it and I'm happy for you.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:53 AM   #19

I know LV really needs physicians and medical people, so this should be great for you! I'm happy for you!!!
Old 12-10-2009, 08:59 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

It sounds like you have built a perfect custom ESR for yourself. Congratulations and enjoy!