Rich_in_Tampa ESRs!

Rich_by_the_Bay

Moderator Emeritus
Well, it's official: I gave notice in early November, and will be semi-retired by the end of March, 2010. (Held off posting so I didn't steal any of W2R's well-earned thunder.)

I am excited about with the plan. For the first few months, I'll put in some part-time hours where I currently work (.25 FTE), to ease the transition and recruit my successor (that's weird, BTW).

Beyond that, I received some part-time offers through the grapevine, and I think I picked a good one. It looks like this:
  • Five days a month consulting near Las Vegas (we'll continue to reside in Tampa, they cover my travel). No nights, no call.
  • Three weeks "off." Work remotely (i.e. from home or RV) and quite limited, mostly occasional phone calls. No nights, no call.
  • Repeat.
But wait - there's more:

Las Vegas is less than 90 minutes by air from my son and his family, while the flight home to Tampa allows a stop-over just 90 minutes drive to my daughter and family. So, grandkid visits will increase markedly, one set or the other.

We'll be able to take occasional leisurely RV trips, popping back to work 5 days a month from wherever we happen to be, then continuing on our merry way. Maybe we'll "pre-position" the RV out west for the summer months.

Reactions from colleagues in order of frequency: disbelief ("you're joking, right"), culture shock ("you're too young for that") and envy ("wish I could do the same thing"). Among the envy group are a few that I would have sworn were much better off than I am. Mostly, though, everyone has been very gracious.

I'll keep up my clinical skills by maintaining a small consultative practice at both sites, and volunteering in a local clinic for the underserved.

I don't think I could have designed a better plan. My biggest challenge at the moment is wipe that s#%$-eating grin off my face. ;)

Happy Holidays!

Congrats! I always wondered if I'd be hesitant to retire if I really liked working. Or had a fullfulling job where I really helped people (like a doc).

Since I just push paper, I won't miss it when I eventually go.

Well, it's official: I gave notice in early November, and will be semi-retired by the end of March, 2010. (Held off posting so I didn't steal any of W2R's well-earned thunder.)

I am excited about with the plan. For the first few months, I'll put in some part-time hours where I currently work (.25 FTE), to ease the transition and recruit my successor (that's weird, BTW).

Beyond that, I received some part-time offers through the grapevine, and I think I picked a good one. It looks like this:
  • Five days a month consulting near Las Vegas (we'll continue to reside in Tampa, they cover my travel). No nights, no call.
  • Three weeks "off." Work remotely (i.e. from home or RV) and quite limited, mostly occasional phone calls. No nights, no call.
  • Repeat.
But wait - there's more:

Las Vegas is less than 90 minutes by air from my son and his family, while the flight home to Tampa allows a stop-over just 90 minutes drive to my daughter and family. So, grandkid visits will increase markedly, one set or the other.

We'll be able to take occasional leisurely RV trips, popping back to work 5 days a month from wherever we happen to be, then continuing on our merry way. Maybe we'll "pre-position" the RV out west for the summer months.

Reactions from colleagues in order of frequency: disbelief ("you're joking, right"), culture shock ("you're too young for that") and envy ("wish I could do the same thing"). Among the envy group are a few that I would have sworn were much better off than I am. Mostly, though, everyone has been very gracious.

I'll keep up my clinical skills by maintaining a small consultative practice at both sites, and volunteering in a local clinic for the underserved.

I don't think I could have designed a better plan. My biggest challenge at the moment is wipe that s#%$-eating grin off my face. ;)

Happy Holidays!

Way to go. Congratulations! My experience says the grin is likely to stay for a long time :)

Now, about this "5 days a month near LV consulting: ... hmmmm.... need an assistant?:)

Happy Holidays! __________________
Rich
Tampa, FL (51% of the way to ESR. Really. I mean it. Seriously. )

Doggone Doc! Great for you! Staying a bit in touch with that doctoring sounds brilliant - sure there is some reason other than the pecuniary one that you took up the healing arts. Sounds like your plan addresses all desires. Conga Rats!

Wonderful! The five days a month thing sounds about perfect. Plus, it will be something new and different. Now who is REW going to rag?

Many congratulations! Maybe we can do an RV ER meet up with the traveling types this year or next.

Congrats! I always wondered if I'd be hesitant to retire if I really liked working. Or had a fullfulling job where I really helped people (like a doc).

Since I just push paper, I won't miss it when I eventually go.

I won't miss them, and they won't miss me...

Congrats, Rich, for making the leap to a pleasant-sounding ESR!

Congratulations. It looks like you have a wonderful plan in place.

Beware. Even when the grin fades, it reoccurs in odd moments when you least expect it.

• Repeat.
But wait - there's more:

Happy Holidays!

Great news! Between LV and Tampa,no snow for you!! Ever get up to Wisconsin to visit friends??

SOMEONE HAS STOLEN Rich_in_Tampa's PASSWORD AND HIJACKED HIS ACCOUNT.

His account has been suspended pending an investigation.

All members should use this as a reminder to protect your password and change it occasionally to prevent similar embarrassment.

All members should use this as a reminder to protect your password and change it occasionally to prevent similar embarrassment.
:D

It's OK, REWahoo, you can come back into the room now. It's not an alien attack. Take a nice deep breath, it's just me. There, there...

Yeah, I knew it was too good to be true.:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Great news! Between LV and Tampa,no snow for you!! Ever get up to Wisconsin to visit friends??
Not too often but we just spent some time with our MKE friends out in California and vowed to make a visit, maybe as part of an RV trip or perhaps a Summerfest weekend.

Congratulations Rich, that sure sounds like a great plan. All the very best going forward.

BTW, if you get facial cramps from all that smiling you can always do yoga for faces or similar stretching exercise :flowers:

:D

It's OK, REWahoo, you can come back into the room now. It's not an alien attack. Take a nice deep breath, it's just me. There, there...

Poor REWahoo. He just lost one of his favorite pass times.:LOL:

Seriously Rich, good luck, sounds like the perfect plan. Well done!

I know LV really needs physicians and medical people, so this should be great for you! I'm happy for you!!!

It sounds like you have built a perfect custom ESR for yourself. Congratulations and enjoy!

Fabulous news! Rich - it's time to update your signature :)

Rich.... Whether you call your new situation just a new, sweet part time gig or you call it ESR, it sounds great! Enjoy!

Way to go RiT. Now you can join the ranks of the footloose - as I try to post from my BlackBerry for the first time.

First he joined an RE forum, then he participated, then he looked behind the curtain, found the abyss, looked some more.....and , and, and then he leaped. Well sort of, with a parachute.

Happy landing and congratulations RiT. Soon to be all over the map.

Back
Top Bottom