Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-01-2011, 07:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
How aggravating. I would not have expected that either.
It is what it is, I only wish they'd send me a complimentary Gambino's King Cake when I file.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
It is what it is, I only wish they'd send me a complimentary Gambino's King Cake when I file.
Free is always best.... but Gambino's does ship.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Free is always best.... but Gambino's does ship.
My diet doesn't allow me to buy it, but if a free one arrived then I couldn't very well give it away without having some ....
Old 02-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
My diet doesn't allow me to buy it, but if a free one arrived then I couldn't very well give it away without having some ....
Believe me, I can sympathize! I am working hard at my weight loss efforts too. I don't think anyone is going to buy me a King cake either, but I'm kind of glad. The traditional ones are so dry and tasteless, and the cream cheese, cinnamon, etc ones are just so very decadent.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:39 PM   #25

Quote:
... the cream cheese, cinnamon, etc ones are just so very decadent.
cream cheese King Cakes, aaahhh....
Old 02-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I discovered that I'm going to be paying Louisiana taxes for a very long time even though I don't live there any more. One of my pensions (non-qualified) comes from from a Louisiana company and I have to file an LA non-resident tax form. That's a real bummer that I didn't expect
Alan,

How did you find this out? DH works in a neighboring state and I have been eagerly awaiting the day he retires and we no longer have to pay non-resident tax - but he will receive a pension. It never occurred to me we would have to pay income tax on that to them too...

I did start googling to see what I could find out about it (Maine) and haven't found much. So I am wondering if there is something unique about your pension, and if so, what it is and how you found out about having to pay the tax. I dont like the idea of it - but if I am going to have to pay it, I would rather know now than later. But I am not sure I want to call Maine and ask them either......
Old 02-01-2011, 09:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post
Alan,

How did you find this out? DH works in a neighboring state and I have been eagerly awaiting the day he retires and we no longer have to pay non-resident tax - but he will receive a pension. It never occurred to me we would have to pay income tax on that to them too...

I did start googling to see what I could find out about it (Maine) and haven't found much. So I am wondering if there is something unique about your pension, and if so, what it is and how you found out about having to pay the tax. I dont like the idea of it - but if I am going to have to pay it, I would rather know now than later. But I am not sure I want to call Maine and ask them either......
I won't go into the historically complexities of why, but my pensions from the company consist of a qualified pension paid as an annuity from an insurance company plus a non-qualified pension paid directly from the company. The qualified pension is reported on a 1099-R and the other is reported on a W-2 with the income reported in box 11, so no SS or Medicare is paid on it.

The company told me that they had talked with the LA IRS and had to withhold LA taxes on this. I then went onto the LA tax site and confirmed it for myself.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:29 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I won't go into the historically complexities of why, but my pensions from the company consist of a qualified pension paid as an annuity from an insurance company plus a non-qualified pension paid directly from the company. The qualified pension is reported on a 1099-R and the other is reported on a W-2 with the income reported in box 11, so no SS or Medicare is paid on it.

The company told me that they had talked with the LA IRS and had to withhold LA taxes on this. I then went onto the LA tax site and confirmed it for myself.

Interesting....so it sounds like the company paying the pension knew to withhold the tax. So I am guessing DH could probably talk to the whomever produces the pensions checks for his company. I did go to the Maine tax site, but it didn't seem particularly clear to me.

Anyway - thanks for the heads-up. Just one more thing to figure out before we retire....
Old 02-01-2011, 09:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post
Interesting....so it sounds like the company paying the pension knew to withhold the tax.
Correct.

Trust me when I say that if I had received the non-qualified pension with no State tax withholding, I wouldn't have gone out of my way to discover if I should have been paying some
Old 02-01-2011, 10:08 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our situation is pretty simple. We have a few Cap Gains, but the most complicated issue we face is multiple overlapping higher education credits, deductions, etc. Last year I downgraded to TT Basic, thinking that I could always upgrade. Worked out very well and I could not tell much difference in the cap gains or eduacation steps. Funny when I was using Deluxe, it never offered me a refund to downgrade to basic.

Another reason for choosing basic is that our state (MD) offers free online efile for everyone.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:36 AM   #31

Timely thread! I decided to do my own taxes for the first time in 30 years - to save money. Everyone has told me " Get Turbotax". But I didn't know about the versions until reading this thread. I've reviewed all the options on their website.

I assume the software is only good for the current tax year. If so, what are the advantages of buying the cd over just using the online version? Just curious - I'll probably buy the cd for the piece of mind.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Timely thread! I decided to do my own taxes for the first time in 30 years - to save money. Everyone has told me " Get Turbotax". But I didn't know about the versions until reading this thread. I've reviewed all the options on their website.

I assume the software is only good for the current tax year. If so, what are the advantages of buying the cd over just using the online version? Just curious - I'll probably buy the cd for the piece of mind.
There is a 3rd option - download the product so you can use it off-line, but don't have to mess with a CD/DVD
Old 02-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I discovered that I'm going to be paying Louisiana taxes for a very long time even though I don't live there any more. One of my pensions (non-qualified) comes from from a Louisiana company and I have to file an LA non-resident tax form. That's a real bummer that I didn't expect
I just wish I could say."One of my pensions", or even just "my pension". It has an excellent ring to it.

Ha
Old 02-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I just wish I could say."One of my pensions", or even just "my pension". It has an excellent ring to it.

Ha
I am extremely fortunate and thank my lucky stars every day that I have 4 private pensions from 2 different countries, plus SS from 2 different countries when the time comes.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:35 AM   #35

My mother has a similar situation. It is good fortune now but when they were earned it meant working in the public sector (both parents) doing things that paid less than equivalent private sector jobs. Compensation foregone for public service is viewed much differently today but was very much a sacrifice - and personal choice - a generation ago (especially military) and I view these pensions today as well earned, although I admit to a subjective view.