Join Early Retirement Today

Risk averse retirement investing
Old 02-06-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

I am retired and need to protect my assets with safe investing. I only need to keep a step or two ahead of inflation, not significantly grow my assets.

I want to sleep easily at night and not have to worry about market gyrations, corrections or worse. Suggestions?
Dolphin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #2

The Millionaire Teacher goes into basic investing and asset allocation. It is an easy read, not at all difficult to understand. Others will be along shortly with suggestions too.

Welcome to the forum!

Tell us a bit more about yourself in the Hi, I am... thread.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Are you also averse to inflation risk? If so, you might be best served by a balanced approach........or just lowering your annual spending to 2% of NW or less.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Safe investing is an oxymoron. There is no way to beat inflation without taking some risk.
Do yourself a favor, there are a lot of these on the internet. Take one and find out how risk averse you are.

Risk Assessment Tools: Risk Analysis Tool, Risk Profile Questionnaire, Financial Risk Tolerance
Old 02-06-2014, 04:48 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Dolphin Boy, and welcome to the Early Retirement Forum.

Personally I am very risk averse as well, especially now that I am retired. So, I will recommend to you exactly what I found to be the most helpful, for me.

Read any half dozen books from this link that appeal to you: Investment Books

These books will give you a good, solid background in investing and in establishing an asset allocation that corresponds to your risk tolerance.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #6
gone traveling

When Obgyn shows up, he can give you some tips
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:58 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

You may wish to read Zvi Bodie's "Worry-Free Investing" which was all the rage when Treasury Inflation Protected Securites pay a great rate could be purchased. Of course, Prof. Bodie is in his 70's and still working. He worries about retirement so much that he just has to keep working.

Worry Free Investing | Zvi Bodie

Another alternative would be to investigate whether a SPIA (single premium immediate annuity) would make sense for you.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:59 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
But if you listen to Obgyn, you should also seek out Cyclinginvestor!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Hi Dolphin Boy, and welcome to the Early Retirement Forum.

Personally I am very risk averse as well, especially now that I am retired. So, I will recommend to you exactly what I found to be the most helpful, for me.

Read any half dozen books from this link that appeal to you: Investment Books

These books will give you a good, solid background in investing and in establishing an asset allocation that corresponds to your risk tolerance.
+1
If you don't educate yourself about investing (I'm making an ignorant assumption that you're not already) then you may never know if your investments are safe/conservative or not. This knowledge will help you stick to your plans when the inevitable market crashes occur.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

If past history is any indication, this chart should give you some idea what kind of returns you might expect for a given asset allocation.

I couldn't recommend them, but a SPIA would provide a guaranteed return barring a default (historically almost unheard of) if you can't sleep with any fluctuation in returns.

The more conservative you are, the more you'll need, or the less you'll have available to spend.
Attached Images
File Type: png E_03%20New%20Diversification_1008.png (33.8 KB, 482 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:12 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Buy
I Bonds, Tips, and deferred annuities .

But wait a while on some off the annuities until interest rates rise and you can get a better deal.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:14 PM   #12

Ok here we go... To the OP : a minority of the participants to this website are very conservative. I am one of them. You are not alone.

To answer your question, my portfolio is 90+% in CDs, munis, and equivalent. I also bought some deferred annuities. I hate risk. The only risk I am willing to take is the risk of just keeping up with inflation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:35 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I am okay with just keeping up with inflation as well. We will try to keep our spending pretty low in comparison to our retirement income streams so we don't really need a high rate of return to be comfortable. I just don't want to lose half our life savings, especially early on in retirement.

We're more in the we've won the game why blow it now camp of investing.

We have TIPS, I bonds, several stable value funds from former 401Ks, CDs, short term bond funds, some stocks, some Treasuries at 4% and a mix of other stuff.

We have a 30 year, low rate mortgage offset by non-COLAed pension income, too, for now.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:24 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

And if I remember the timing of your investment in Wellesley correctly, it is doing pretty well so far, even with the January dip.

OP, Vanguard's Wellesley Income fund is a good conservative balanced fund that you could consider as one of your core holdings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Ok here we go... To the OP : a minority of the participants to this website are very conservative. I am one of them. You are not alone.

To answer your question, my portfolio is 90+% in CDs, munis, and equivalent. I also bought some deferred annuities. I hate risk. The only risk I am willing to take is the risk of just keeping up with inflation.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:41 PM   #15
gone traveling

This is your answer. Buy ETF's instead of individual bonds and stocks.

Personally I'd favor a little bit of XLP rather than so much bond exposure. Notice how XLP recovered quickly from the 2008 - 2009 collapse.
ETFs_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:01 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

This is possible as long as the OP also understands he/she will need a nest egg that's 40-60% larger (or spends commensurately less) than someone with a even a modest equity:fixed income asset allocation. Sounds like it might be an option for the OP, but you don't get something for nothing when it comes to returns (and risk) or we'd all be in CD's and bonds.

Not everyone wants to (or can) work 40-60% longer or save 40-60% more during the accumulation years or spend that much less in retirement.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:48 AM   #17

But wouldn't buying deferred annuities in your 40s (starting paying at age 62 for example) and buying SPIAs after age 75 (where mortality credits are highest) have a better outcome than a modest:fixed income AA?

This assumes we factor out heirs, married or single, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
This is possible as long as the OP also understands he/she will need a nest egg that's 40-60% larger (or spends commensurately less) than someone with a even a modest equity:fixed income asset allocation. Sounds like it might be an option for the OP, but you don't get something for nothing when it comes to returns (and risk) or we'd all be in CD's and bonds.

Not everyone wants to (or can) work 40-60% longer or save 40-60% more during the accumulation years or spend that much less in retirement.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:59 AM   #18

Quote:

Dolphin Boy-

You're lucky to get this advice so easily. Normally, Obgyn has folks lie down and put their feet up in the stirrups. But, oh wait..."Dolphin" Boy; perhaps he couldn't find your legs?
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:02 AM   #19

On a more serious note...Dirk Cotton is posting a great blog series on various retirement investing strategies. It does a good job of discussing pros and cons and should help you decide what's best for you.

The Retirement Cafe: Unraveling Retirement Strategies: Floor-and-Upside
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:10 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I agree with OBGYN especially this year. I am pretty much the same as him for allocation. You just missed some good PENFED CDS at 3%. (New Money) I will be renewing 2 this month at that rate for OLD Money. I feel the downside risk if interest rates jump (Unlikely) is worth it.

I have been searching and searching for projected interest rate forecasts for the next 5 years and they seem to be rare as I need to make a decision by Feb 20th.

If anyone has any please post a link.

Thanks

Tags
risk averse