Join Early Retirement Today

Risk of putting it all in VG GNMA fund?
Old 12-30-2007, 09:33 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Risk of putting it all in VG GNMA fund?

I am thinking of putting my entire fixed income portion of my portfolio into the VG GNMA fund. Currently yielding a little over 5% and the NAV hasn't varied much over the last decade at least. What would be the risk in doing this, other than the old saw about putting all eggs in one basket?
cashflo2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The big risk would be in running out of money after xx years because you're barely keeping pace with inflation.

You'd be better off buying 100% tips. At least they'd protect you in the event of a surge in the CPI.

You'd still probably find yourself losing buying power after a decade or two.

Try target retirement income, lifestrategy income or wellesley. At least the stock component of those will give you enough long term appreciation to keep the buying power up.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:41 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Taxable or tax-advantaged account? Have you looked at VFSUX? It has a yield of 4.95% which is not much lower than 5.16%. And Vanguard has CDs that pay 4.9% nowadays. I'm sure you can find some other places with CDs around 5%.

In other words, there are other games in town that are unrelated to securities associated with mortgages.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:42 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks. The fixed income portion of my portfolio is 40% with the balance in diversified equity holdings. So, this would be a switch in the FI portion from other short term bond funds and cd's to the VG GNMA fund. Maybe I should have made that point.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:42 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

OP said "fixed income portion."

I have a chunk of my fixed allocation in VFIIX. Historically stable NAV, reasonable yield, government guarantee, Morningstar five star rating. What's not to like?

I also include some short term and inflation protected funds. What has you interested in the 100% GNMA allocation?
Old 12-30-2007, 09:45 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I think I'd avoid any investments with "SUX" in the ticker symbol.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:48 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, VFSUX I considered but the underlying securities in the GNMA fund are guaranteed by the federal government whereas the SUX fund are corporate. Does that not make GNMA less risky with a slightly higher return. If I do the Wellesley, etc. it throws off my existing equity weighting.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:50 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I like simple and I cannot think of any risks I am not already taking in the FI portion of my port.