Join Early Retirement Today
Risky Investing
Old 02-24-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado
Risky Investing

Hi guys,
So New Zealand had about half a dozen finance companies fall over awhile back. This has led to a couple companies moving to get as much money into their balance sheet as possible, by offering high interest rates.

I'm thinking of investing around $5,000 - not a large amount by any means, about 60% of my NW(I won't miss the money that much if I lose it, however - it's only 2.5 months of my disposable income) in a 12% CD for 1 year. Alternatively, I am thinking of doing it for 3 years at 11.50% simply because as the interest rates drop over the year or two, I'll have locked in that %.

The firm I'm looking at hasn't got the greatest balance sheet strength(bottom 40% of firms in NZ), however they do have land and buildings to secure investments so I'll hopefully atleast get a portion back.

Do you think this is overly risky? 11-12% seems very tidy, it's currently the highest in New Zealand(The other average ~8-9% to give you a point of reference).

Could this be a sign that the company is going to go under? Should I avoid? It is a legitimate company which offers second mortgages(Mortgages often run from 10% to 18% here in NZ).

I eagerly await your input and thoughts!

P.S. The Reserve interest rate is 8.25%.
Neongreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!