Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
RMD from Inherited IRA
Old 03-01-2017, 07:10 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Bram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 223
RMD from Inherited IRA

DH inherited an IRA from his sister who passed a year ago. She had inherited it from her deceased husband in the 1990s & was taking RMDs. DH transferred his part of the account from her Fidelity to our Vanguard. He needs to start taking RMDs from it this year. We spoke to Vanguard about this & have been informed that since DH didn't inherit it from the original owner (his BIL), Vg won't be calculating the RMD.

I have a call into Vg to get more info, but I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this, or can shed any light on why Vg won't be calculating & sending the RMD for this "Inherited Inherited IRA". DH will be 70 in July, but age isn't a factor in when RMDs begin in this situation.
__________________

__________________
.
.

Every step of the journey is the journey.
Bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2017, 07:21 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,300
Brokerages are skittish about definitively telling you an RMD amount because they could incur liability if they specify the wrong amount.
__________________

GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:48 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.
hesperus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: san juan mountains, co
Posts: 750
That's odd. It shouldn't matter where it came from, since it's now sitting in a Vanguard account. It's a basic service.
I transferred an inherited IRA from Wells Fargo to Fidelity, and neither of them was ever adverse to calculating the RMD. In fact, Fidelity did it automatically in my account on the first of every year.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:06 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
That's odd. It shouldn't matter where it came from, since it's now sitting in a Vanguard account. It's a basic service.
I transferred an inherited IRA from Wells Fargo to Fidelity, and neither of them was ever adverse to calculating the RMD. In fact, Fidelity did it automatically in my account on the first of every year.
Was your IRA inherited multiple times before you got it? I don't believe that RMDs are reset on a new life every time they are inherited.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:21 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,763
This is not odd. I see discussions of this from time to time at bogleheads.org. One should probably start by reading IRS Publication 590-B about this situation.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:44 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
RobbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Central CA
Posts: 4,514
Yeah, figure it out yourself, it's not hard.
__________________
Retired at 59 in 2014. Should have done it sooner but I worried too much.
RobbieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:43 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
Was your IRA inherited multiple times before you got it? I don't believe that RMDs are reset on a new life every time they are inherited.
That possibility may be why the custodian is skittish.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:13 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 190
That is strange, DW inherited her an IRA from her Mom, who had inherited from her husband. Vanguard calculates the RMD amount and sends it to DW every January plus it is available online in the account.

I'd call back and ask again, maybe another VG rep will give you a different answer
jwkde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:18 AM   #9
Administrator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: lumpen slums of cyberspace
Posts: 30,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
DH inherited an IRA from his sister who passed a year ago. She had inherited it from her deceased husband in the 1990s & was taking RMDs. DH transferred his part of the account from her Fidelity to our Vanguard. He needs to start taking RMDs from it this year. We spoke to Vanguard about this & have been informed that since DH didn't inherit it from the original owner (his BIL), Vg won't be calculating the RMD.

I have a call into Vg to get more info, but I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this, or can shed any light on why Vg won't be calculating & sending the RMD for this "Inherited Inherited IRA". DH will be 70 in July, but age isn't a factor in when RMDs begin in this situation.
My mother has a non-spousal inherited IRA at Vanguard and they do the RMD automatically, just like they do for her IRA. I'd call again and ask.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:47 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkde View Post
That is strange, DW inherited her an IRA from her Mom, who had inherited from her husband. Vanguard calculates the RMD amount and sends it to DW every January plus it is available online in the account.

I'd call back and ask again, maybe another VG rep will give you a different answer
Perhaps Mom "assumed" the IRA from her DH (made it her own) instead of holding it as inherited. Then it is a first "inherited" IRA when DW inherits so VG knows how to do RMD...............or if VG held the IRA when Mom's DH passed, then it knows the complete history so can do the calculation. In OP's case, IRA was transferred to VG from Fidelity so VG may not know the complete history.

Note that RMDs for inherited IRA are calculated differently than a "normal" RMD. "normal" RMD just depends on owner's age each yr. "First generation" inherited IRA RMD for the 1st yr can depend on inheritor's age the first yr. You then reduce the divisor factor by 1 each yr. "2nd generation" inherited RMDs use the same factor as the "1st gen" so you need to know what the age of the 1st inheritor was when the 1st RMD was taken. If you don't have the history of the 1st gen inherited IRA, then you don't know what to use.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:42 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
SecondCor521's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boise
Posts: 3,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
"2nd generation" inherited RMDs use the same factor as the "1st gen" so you need to know what the age of the 1st inheritor was when the 1st RMD was taken. If you don't have the history of the 1st gen inherited IRA, then you don't know what to use.
It seems like if you know at least the most recent RMD and the previous year end value, you could reverse engineer it:

RMD this year = year end value / ((previous year end value / RMD last year) - 1)

But I can see Vanguard not wanting to wade into something like that, especially in the case of a transferred IRA.
__________________
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:16 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
It seems like if you know at least the most recent RMD and the previous year end value, you could reverse engineer it:

RMD this year = year end value / ((previous year end value / RMD last year) - 1)

But I can see Vanguard not wanting to wade into something like that, especially in the case of a transferred IRA.
very clever! to clarify you might want to add "prior" in front of each "yr end value"?
__________________

kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RMD from Inherited IRA ripper1 FIRE and Money 8 01-03-2017 04:58 PM
Inherited IRA RMD question BarbWire FIRE and Money 14 01-28-2016 08:12 PM
Question about RMD on Inherited IRA MissMolly FIRE and Money 22 04-07-2014 05:16 PM
RMD for inherited IRA - determining life expectancy steelyman FIRE and Money 12 09-02-2013 07:42 PM
Inherited IRA, when to take RMD this year? Gworker Other topics 11 01-28-2008 01:38 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:07 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×