Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-19-2019, 02:50 PM   #541
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
... Let's say you have to be with an employer for 20 years to get a pension, what happens if you get fired in year 18? You get nothing...
Actually ERISA (Federal law) requires that a private pension's vesting period can be no longer than 5 years. So if you get fired in year 18, then you still get to claim that pension when you reach retirement age.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2019, 03:15 PM   #542
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
Even better were those companies that provided BOTH.
{waves} I am a lucky beneficiary of this, though our company froze the pension to new entrants in 2009 and froze the benefits completely in 2012. They added a cash balance plan to replace the pension going forward, and also added a second defined contribution plan to replace the 401k match, which they had dropped to 1% (but which this year came back up to 3%).

It's going to be a lot of separate payments when the time comes!
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:23 PM   #543
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
It is possible. Your mistake seems to be thinking that the great-grandchild is inheriting an inherited IRA from their grandparents or parents... that is not the case... the great-grandchild is the beneficiary of an IRA owned by a great-grandparent who is intentionally skipping a couple generations. The skipped generations are perhaps wealthy in their own right or are inheriting other assets like taxable accounts and getting a stepped up basis or even other IRA accounts.
Yes, you are correct. I misunderstood your post. I initially thought that you were suggesting that RMDs would be recalculated (i.e. stretched further) upon death of a grandchild, who passed along an inherited IRA to a great-grandchild. Somebody misunderstood this earlier in the thread, so I guess that was what confused me.

Quote:
Yes, some wealthy people whose spouse or children do not need the money or are inheriting other assets are designating grandchildren or great-grandchildren as tIRA beneficiaries. If my 89 yo mother designated her 2 yo great-grandchild as a beneficiary it would stretch that IRA... the RMD factor is 80 years for a 2 yo compared to 25 years for her 60 yo grandmother... so it stretches it an additonal 55 years!!
While this certainly could happen, I doubt it is happening frequently enough to make any difference in Washington's revenue picture. Besides, wouldn't your 89 yo mother be concerned about dumping 16 years worth of compounded growth into the lap of that 2 yo on his/her 18th Birthday? OTOH, it might work....
Old 06-19-2019, 05:37 PM   #544
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREchief View Post
....Besides, wouldn't your 89 yo mother be concerned about dumping 16 years worth of compounded growth into the lap of that 2 yo on his/her 18th Birthday? OTOH, it might work....
Can you elaborate? how would she be dumping 16 years worth of componunded growth? As I understand it the 2 yo wuld still need to take RMDs at ~1/80th, 1/79th, 1/78th...etc.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:14 PM   #545
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
On the strategy front, I think I remember reading that the $400K is per original owner, not per beneficiary. But if it is per beneficiary and there are more grandkids around who can each shelter $400K and if the children don't need the money, then I think my idea might have merit.
Are you referring to the Senate version? (i.e. the $400K)
Old 06-19-2019, 06:15 PM   #546
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Can you elaborate? how would she be dumping 16 years worth of componunded growth? As I understand it the 2 yo wuld still need to take RMDs at ~1/80th, 1/79th, 1/78th...etc.
Exactly. Which would leave a WHOLE LOTTA compounded growth on top of the original/remaining principle.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:19 PM   #547
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Are you referring to the Senate version? (i.e. the $400K)
I don't know!

I know there are different versions of the bill floating out there with different parameters, and one of them has something in it about $400K.

In general, I'm going to watch and wait and see what happens. I have a tickler in the fall to follow up and figure out how to respond strategically to whatever gets implemented (if anything).

Until then I'm just musing and brainstorming.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:22 PM   #548
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Actually ERISA (Federal law) requires that a private pension's vesting period can be no longer than 5 years. So if you get fired in year 18, then you still get to claim that pension when you reach retirement age.
It's the way that payments are calculated. If I start for MegaCorp at age 22 and get canned at 40, I'm likely not eligible to start receiving that pension until I'm 65. 25 years of inflation (even at today's rates) will devastate the purchasing power of a pension based upon things like final five years salary, actual salaries during participation, etc.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:26 PM   #549
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Suppose Grandpa dies and leaves his $1M traditional IRA to his 50 year old son. Grandpa and the son both live in a state where partial disclaimers are legal. 50DS partially disclaims half of the traditional IRA, which according to federal and state law, results in the disclaimed half going to 50DS's son, who is 25.
I believe that if a primary beneficiary disclaims his/her rights to inherit, the assets would then pass to any named contingent beneficiaries. If none are named, and primary disclaims, then the assets likely pass to the estate (which is an awful way to pass along qualified retirement assets to individual heirs - under either current or future law).
Old 06-19-2019, 06:31 PM   #550
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I don't know!

I know there are different versions of the bill floating out there with different parameters, and one of them has something in it about $400K.
The Senate's version has a five year sunset (instead of the ten years in the House's SECURE act), but also excludes the first $400K. I've looked for more details/interpretations but come up empty. The consensus thinking appears to be that the $400K limit would apply to the initial total amount of qualified assets, not to each beneficiary. If this were true, it would argue for Roth converting at least $400K to maximize the benefits of that remaining stretch. That said, I think the five year limit in the Senate version is a deal killer. It goes too far in requiring, for example, a $3.4M tIRA to generate taxes at the beneficiary(s) ordinary income tax rate for $3M over five years.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:34 AM   #551
Give me a forum ...

RMD going to 72?

This may be a repeat from earlier in this thread but it’s an update on SECURE act progress (or lack) from CNBC:

[ADDED] The quote below has a biased slant to it (I think) but the linked article is a bit more balanced.

Quote:
The Secure Act was approved by the House on May 23 by 417-3. Proponents were said to be hoping to push it through the Senate using a process called unanimous consent.

That means that the Senate would vote on the House version without making changes.

That hasn't happened partly due to opposition from Senator Ted Cruz, R-Texas. Proposals he supports to expand the use of 529s to pay for home schooling and therapy for disabilities, among other expenses, were dropped from the House legislation.

Other expansions of the 529 college savings program, including the ability to pay for student loans and apprenticeships, remained.

"The retirement bill that unanimously passed in the House Ways and Means Committee included the expanded 529 savings plan package," a spokesman for Cruz said. "Unfortunately, at the behest of special interest groups, Speaker Pelosi removed the 529 expansion from the bill before sending it to the Senate."

"Senator Cruz believes we should add it back in and pass a retirement bill that includes both the Gold Star tax fix and the 529 expansion," the spokesman said. The Gold Star fix would prevent children and spouses of fallen service members from getting hit with unexpectedly high tax bills following recent tax reform changes.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/21/why-...he-senate.html

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 01:16 PM   #552
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The Senate's version has a five year sunset (instead of the ten years in the House's SECURE act), but also excludes the first $400K. I've looked for more details/interpretations but come up empty. The consensus thinking appears to be that the $400K limit would apply to the initial total amount of qualified assets, not to each beneficiary. If this were true, it would argue for Roth converting at least $400K to maximize the benefits of that remaining stretch. That said, I think the five year limit in the Senate version is a deal killer. It goes too far in requiring, for example, a $3.4M tIRA to generate taxes at the beneficiary(s) ordinary income tax rate for $3M over five years.
I agree that 5 years is onerous. However, your example is a poor example because only 0.11% of IRAs have $3 million or more and only 1.5% are over $1 million.

I can't find anything on the Senate version either... the offical line is only that it was received in the Senate.

https://www.bankrate.com/finance/tax...problem-1.aspx
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (39.4 KB, 39 views)

Old 06-22-2019, 02:15 PM   #553
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I agree that 5 years is onerous. However, your example is a poor example because only 0.11% of IRAs have $3 million or more and only 1.5% are over $1 million.

I can't find anything on the Senate version either... the offical line is only that it was received in the Senate.

https://www.bankrate.com/finance/tax...problem-1.aspx
It wasn't meant to be a "representative" example of the typical inheritance. It was intended to illustrate an un(?!)intended consequence of the Senate version. That said, it sounds like the "revenue generation" for the benefits for the masses would come largely on the backs of the one (point.five) percenters. Nothing new here.....
Old 06-22-2019, 02:25 PM   #554
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
That's an interesting article. With respect to pre-tax IRA's (i.e. not Roth), it seems that even under current law the Treasury becomes a big winner. They're borrowing money at 2%, while the tax deferred earnings in the tIRA balloon over the years/decades at higher rates. Doesn't the treasury benefit from the stretch just as much as the owner when the funds are ultimately withdrawn?
Old 06-22-2019, 02:26 PM   #555

Quote:
It wasn't meant to be a "representative" example of the typical inheritance. It was intended to illustrate an un(?!)intended consequence of the Senate version. That said, it sounds like the "revenue generation" for the benefits for the masses would come largely on the backs of the one (point.five) percenters. Nothing new here.....
And that attitude is reflected here, i.e. screw the one (point.five) percenters.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:43 PM   #556
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Those jumbo $3+ million IRAs must be a lot of growth... even the current max of $19k for 40 years is only $760k.

ETA: Found more info... if you take the max contribution since 1986 and 10 years of catchup contributions the contribution total is only ~$520k.

Quote:
That's an interesting article. With respect to pre-tax IRA's (i.e. not Roth), it seems that even under current law the Treasury becomes a big winner. They're borrowing money at 2%, while the tax deferred earnings in the tIRA balloon over the years/decades at higher rates. Doesn't the treasury benefit from the stretch just as much as the owner when the funds are ultimately withdrawn?
I think in the long run you are right, but Congress doesn't necessarily think long run.

Old 06-22-2019, 02:57 PM   #557

Quote:
Those jumbo $3+ million IRAs must be a lot of growth... even the current max of $19k for 40 years is only $760k.

ETA: Found more info... if you take the max contribution since 1986 and 10 years of catchup contributions the contribution total is only ~$520k.

I think in the long run you are right, but Congress doesn't necessarily think long run.
I think pension plan rollovers might be part of the difference. I haven't studied all the details but my wife only worked for about 10 years and her pension + profit sharing contributions were a lot higher than $19K per year. It all rolled over to an IRA eventually.

I had the opportunity to lump sum my DB pension (chose not to) but that would have gone into my IRA had I done so.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:59 PM   #558

Quote:
Most people investment savvy enough to put nonpublic shares of a company into an IRA know to make sure to convert it to Roth before that company goes public. As a result most of the monster-sized IRAs are Roth, and so the US Treasury does not benefit from the growth.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:02 PM   #559

Quote:

Here is how to 'Game' the System.
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:05 PM   #560
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
A snippet or description of the link is a courtesy to members, knowing what it’s about let’s them make a more informed choice.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote