Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-03-2019, 08:35 PM   #641
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
Define many. If it is only 5%, does that somehow make it invalid? Your argument is essentially that it is OK to change it impacting existing savers because somehow not enough people had it as their primary reason for utilizing an tIRA or traditional 401(k).

If the government wants to change the rules on new contributions, I am fine with that...I will simply stop contributing. But I am stuck(ed) (I was going to use a different word) because I was foolish enough to trust them to stay true to the rules that enticed me to contribute heavily to traditional 401(k) plans.
+1. Could not agree more. If I knew, 30+ years ago, the rules would change.
I would have invested differently. My decision to invest in IRA's was
based on the rules promoted by Congress.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2019, 08:39 PM   #642

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
Is this proposed law for limiting the stretch only for IRA's or does it include 401K's too?
Good question. Logically since 401K's can be rolled over into IRA, I think it would apply.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:48 PM   #643
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
My view, IRA's introduced 30+ years ago, with detailed rules. I followed the rules. Today, IRA net worth, substantial. Being forced to liquidate in 5 or 10 years, (depending on house/senate version), extremely unfair.

Just glad, I'm not alone in my views,
Quote:
The stretch IRA was based on a 1999 Private Letter Ruling... only 20 years ago... the rule that is changing that you are so upset about... that is so "extremely unfair"... didn't even exist 30+ years ago when you made your decision to invest in IRAs so you couldn't have banked on it when you decided to invest in an IRA.

Thou doth protest too much.

Quote:
,,, The Multi Generational “Stretch IRA” concept is not brand new. It has been around since 1999 when the Internal Revenue Service, in a Private Letter Ruling, stated that a man who inherited his mother’s seven-figure IRA could name his own beneficiaries. ...

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:12 PM   #644
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1. Could not agree more. If I knew, 30+ years ago, the rules would change[,] I would have invested differently. My decision to invest in IRA's was based on the rules promoted by Congress.
My family would likely be affected adversely by this proposed legislation. I obviously don't like it, because it gores our oxen.

However, it is pretty plain to see that Congress is elected every 2 years and they regularly enact new legislation, so I think that we need to assume that there is always some risk that the rules will change on us, sometimes rules we relied on, and not always in our favor.

The fact that all our crystal balls are broken is unfortunate, but I'm not sure what we can do about that, or about Congress, except to vote and express our views to our elected representatives.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:54 PM   #645
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The multi generational stretch IRA may be newer, but the stretch IRA is not. This was part of my folks' estate planning long before 1999.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:13 AM   #646
gone traveling

Quote:
I'm shocked and chagrined, mortified and stupefied! If only they would have told me that laws can be changed!

Folks, tax laws and inheritance laws change all the time. And they will continue to do so. It's not a set it and forget it world. Social Security rules change. Estate Tax rules change. Taxes are raised. Taxes are cut. Some changes are progressive. Some changes are regressive. Some changes are immediate. Some changes are grandfathered in.

Talk with your CPA and find a new way to pass your wealth to future generations most efficiently, if needed. I have one friend who is looking at life insurance as an alternative tax dodge.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:20 AM   #647
gone traveling

I don't understand the animosity toward people who have an opinion that is differing from others. This is what is wrong today. Mod's, it's about time for Porky here.
Tiger8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:33 AM   #648
Administrator

The conversation has remained civil so far. The debate regarding the intent has no resolution. We have no way of knowing if “ multigenerational stretch” was an objective of the legislators or an unintended exploitation created by some clever financial planners or tax attorneys.

Regardless of the origin, rules and practices can be changed, and when that happens we must adjust.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:44 AM   #649
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The conversation has remained civil so far.
Tiger8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:19 PM   #650
Give me a forum ...

A piece that surfaced today. Nothing especially new but it does discuss timelines for the SECURE act and other retirement-related matters.

Quote:
The hope now is that it gets included in the budget that Congress has to pass by Oct. 1, according to Hopkins.

“I’m still very much of the opinion that what’s going to occur here,” Hopkins said. “The Senate, generally speaking, wants it passed, and I think they’ll get there.”

The Secure Act, if passed, would be the biggest change to retirement rules since 2006.

It’s generally a positive bill, according to Hopkins. But it doesn’t address some key areas contributing to the retirement crisis, including looming shortfalls to Social Security and rising health costs. Not to mention other issues that crop up as people are living longer lives, he said.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/10/cong...-security.html

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
SECURE Act
Old 08-12-2019, 10:32 PM   #651
Recycles dryer sheets

SECURE Act

Looks like this one is just whizzing its way on through the House and Senate, although it's still pending: https://www.bankrate.com/retirement/...ement-savings/ I'm wondering how people would get around the 10 year deadline on inherited IRAs; not bad if you only inherit a little bit, but sure wouldn't want to leave the kids a fortune in IRAs...
Kim451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:41 AM   #652

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim451 View Post
Looks like this one is just whizzing its way on through the House and Senate, although it's still pending: https://www.bankrate.com/retirement/...ement-savings/ I'm wondering how people would get around the 10 year deadline on inherited IRAs; not bad if you only inherit a little bit, but sure wouldn't want to leave the kids a fortune in IRAs...

Can't be whizzing very fast. They are all on vacation for the entire month of August.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:54 AM   #653

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
Can't be whizzing very fast. They are all on vacation for the entire month of August.
Lol. That is some slow whizzing!
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:09 AM   #654

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
Lol. That is some slow whizzing!
wasn't there a time when "to take a wiz" had an other meaning?"
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:23 AM   #655

Quote:
Old news. May be a little too late for many people to make meaningful adjustments for their kids to avoid a 10 year tax whammy. Of course, if the kids are that upset about paying taxes on their inheritance, they could always disclaim it.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:31 AM   #656
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Linked article is dated 5/29/2019. Maybe something will pop on that bill by the 5th of Never.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:25 AM   #657

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
wasn't there a time when "to take a wiz" had an other meaning?"
Taking a wiz is different than whizzing. You can take a wiz while you are whizzing, but I wouldn't recommend it.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:25 PM   #658

I'm nearly convinced that SECURE or something like it will become law. I suspect that future tax rates will be higher than they are for now. So, I'm planning to start doing Roth conversions to the top of the 24% tax bracket. IRMAA be darned!
Kwirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:30 PM   #659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwirk View Post
I'm nearly convinced that SECURE or something like it will become law. I suspect that future tax rates will be higher than they are for now. So, I'm planning to start doing Roth conversions to the top of the 24% tax bracket. IRMAA be darned!
I may be wrong (my spouse often claims I am) but I think this will die. Remember, we are dealing with an organization that specializes in doing nothing.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:32 PM   #660
gone traveling

Quote:
Looks like this one is just whizzing its way on through the House and Senate, although it's still pending: https://www.bankrate.com/retirement/...ement-savings/

Dated: May 29, 2019

Whizzzzzz
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote