Join Early Retirement Today

RMD question
Old 12-03-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

RMD question

To pay for my father's care, I had to liquidate one of his IRA's. The amount was higher than the total of all the rmd's he would have to take this year. Do I still need to take RMD's from his other IRA's?
Thanks
Larry
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you Google " ira rmd" you end w/ this as one of the finds:
Retirement Plans FAQs regarding Required Minimum Distributions

Item 5 says you can take out of any one or more IRAs as long as you meet
the required total. It's different for 401Ks.

Can an account owner just take a RMD from one account instead of separately from each account?

An IRA owner must calculate the RMD separately for each IRA that he or she owns, but can withdraw the total amount from one or more of the IRAs. Similarly, a 403(b) contract owner must calculate the RMD separately for each 403(b) contract that he or she owns, but can take the total amount from one or more of the 403(b) contracts .

However, RMDs required from other types of retirement plans, such as 401(k) and 457(b) plans have to be taken separately from each of those plan accounts.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:05 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just backing up kaneohe. His info is accurate.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:45 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you Kaneohe and harley.
Larry
Old 12-04-2008, 05:53 AM   #5

I just let PENFED figure it out for DW (and me in a few years). They take it out of the lowest paying CD and deposit it to our Joint MMA. Nice thing about PENFED is that they take out the RMD and leave the remaining part of the CD intact (no closing of a CD no loss of the interest rate the base CD is paying).
Old 12-04-2008, 06:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
I just let PENFED figure it out for DW (and me in a few years). They take it out of the lowest paying CD and deposit it to our Joint MMA. Nice thing about PENFED is that they take out the RMD and leave the remaining part of the CD intact (no closing of a CD no loss of the interest rate the base CD is paying).
That only works if all your IRAs are w/ PenFed since they would have no knowledge of IRAs anywhere else. They do act kindly, though, toward us Gray Panthers.......no penalty also for breaking into the CD prematurely unlike most other places.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:30 AM   #7

They are!

PENFED dd change the policy on breaking into IRA/ROTH CD's to get a higher rate (not much of a problem now). The policy was unlimited but now it is once - not sure but I think they changed that about 18 months ago.