Join Early Retirement Today

Robert Kiyosaki, Rich Dad , Oh where did he go ?
Old 10-19-2018, 01:58 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Robert Kiyosaki, Rich Dad , Oh where did he go ?

All the recent threads about Suzy Orman made me curious about another talking head - and I found this: his co. is no longer in business - maybe I missed it last year.

https://thecollegeinvestor.com/4726/...ys-bankruptcy/

Geez, look at the fees for his education materials.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2018, 02:16 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Guess you missed this old thread: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tcy-63346.html
Old 10-19-2018, 02:22 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hehe, yeah never take financial advice from broke people!

What a sham, what a scam. "Get rich flipping houses using other peoples money"

These guys are still on the radio out here, amazing.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 03:27 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Hehe, yeah never take financial advice from broke people!

What a sham, what a scam. "Get rich flipping houses using other peoples money"

These guys are still on the radio out here, amazing.
And we still loan to some of those flippers. The ones to whom we do hard money loans buy really really smart, have great contractors, knock out the upgrades/repairs fast, stage well, and price reasonably. They sell quickly and probably make $50-$70k per house. They are sharp and work hard; we are content backing their play.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:21 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
And we still loan to some of those flippers. The ones to whom we do hard money loans buy really really smart, have great contractors, knock out the upgrades/repairs fast, stage well, and price reasonably. They sell quickly and probably make $50-$70k per house. They are sharp and work hard; we are content backing their play.
Calmloki, I am fascinated by hard money lending. I would like to pull out rentals and just do notes or hard money lending. Any recommendations for a place to start. I'm in the greater Houston area. Not sure if location makes a difference on lending as it does for hard RE.

Cheers and thanks for any responses.
griffithee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 04:23 PM   #6

Flipping houses is the opium of the people.

Just my $0.02.

Can't stand Suzy but I actually like Kiyosaki. He helped turn on the light bulb that allowed me to FIRE.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:50 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Interesting. Yeah I imagine if you knew what you were doing and had the right help lined up you could make a lotta dough.

I'm also sure that doesn't include 98% of the wanna be's that pack the "free seminars"
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 04:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffithee View Post
Calmloki, I am fascinated by hard money lending. I would like to pull out rentals and just do notes or hard money lending. Any recommendations for a place to start. I'm in the greater Houston area. Not sure if location makes a difference on lending as it does for hard RE.

Location does matter for hard money loans. I’m in So CA and the guy I use only works with lenders in CA. Hard money lending has worked well for us as one part of a diversified portfolio.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:00 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Interesting. Yeah I imagine if you knew what you were doing and had the right help lined up you could make a lotta dough.

I'm also sure that doesn't include 98% of the wanna be's that pack the "free seminars"
I totally agree with you.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:06 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

We do not watch TV unless we are up in our high-country boonies home where there's no broadband Internet. There, I turn to satellite TV for entertainment, and watch a bit of HGTV. I like the Flip Flop couple's show. It seems they know what they are doing, and the money they spend on some big and extensive renovation is a lot less than what I think I would have to spend. Don't know if there's any flim-flam on the accounting, but I am impressed taking at face value their monetary results of each project.

But back on the question "Where did Kyosaki go", lemme post a Youtube song for a break.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:45 PM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
But back on the question "Where did Kyosaki go", lemme post a Youtube song for a break.
Thanks - now I've got Pete Seeger in my head...
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:50 PM   #12

It’s 2 for 2 for me. I never liked Suze nor Rich Dad, Poor DAd, or now bankrupted dad.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:30 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffithee View Post

We kinda fell into it - was making payments and told the little escrow company we wanted to be on the other side. Started making smallish loans through the private escrow company. After some years and a number of mistakes that cost a bunch we kept running into the same several people when we went out to do eyes-on inspections of properties we might loan on. Now we pretty much just loan to them or through them.

Hard money gratifies our real estate urges and pays well - mostly. Having to foreclose has been rare, which is good, because it is expensive and painful. A company that was handling our money at one point evaporated, taking more than a year's worth of our living expenses with them. Making loans only on commercial enterprises feels better than loaning to widder women and Bob Cratchit's family.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:17 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
We kinda fell into it - was making payments and told the little escrow company we wanted to be on the other side. Started making smallish loans through the private escrow company. After some years and a number of mistakes that cost a bunch we kept running into the same several people when we went out to do eyes-on inspections of properties we might loan on. Now we pretty much just loan to them or through them.

Hard money gratifies our real estate urges and pays well - mostly. Having to foreclose has been rare, which is good, because it is expensive and painful. A company that was handling our money at one point evaporated, taking more than a year's worth of our living expenses with them. Making loans only on commercial enterprises feels better than loaning to widder women and Bob Cratchit's family.
Never thought to approach the escrow company. Interesting. Thanks for the data points. Cheers
griffithee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:52 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

After they do that a few times, do they still need to get outside financing?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:11 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
After they do that a few times, do they still need to get outside financing?

-ERD50
Strange to me, but they do keep coming back to us.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
Flipping houses is the opium of the people.

Just my $0.02.

Can't stand Suzy but I actually like Kiyosaki. He helped turn on the light bulb that allowed me to FIRE.
I bought several of his books, they were also motivational for me. I always do my DD with any financial huckster.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:39 AM   #18

Kiyosaki is just another "power of positive thinking" guru.

As critics point out, he made his money via books and speaking fees (primarily to Amway members)

Going to the local library to borrow Dale Carnegie or Napoleon Hill books would be a better and cheaper approach if you want something in that vein.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:53 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Kiyosaki is just another "power of positive thinking" guru.

As critics point out, he made his money via books and speaking fees (primarily to Amway members)

Going to the local library to borrow Dale Carnegie or Napoleon Hill books would be a better and cheaper approach if you want something in that vein.
I seriously hated his books, I read Rich Dad, Poor Dad many years ago and was really amazed that it had so many boosters. It was just pages of gibberish and silly graphs, with literally zero actionable advice. I finished it and went back to sticking my investments in index funds. I read a second one since with all the hype there must be something to it, and no, nothing actionable in whatever the second one I read was either.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:08 PM   #20

Wow. I was never really impressed with that guy. Didn't he and Trump had a business partnership together ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
All the recent threads about Suzy Orman made me curious about another talking head - and I found this: his co. is no longer in business - maybe I missed it last year.

https://thecollegeinvestor.com/4726/...ys-bankruptcy/

Geez, look at the fees for his education materials.

Tags
kiyosaki