Join Early Retirement Today

Robert Prechter and safe assets
Old 12-31-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Robert Prechter and safe assets

I know most here don't agree with his analysis but can someone tell me what he considers less risky asset classes? He even considers CD s and treasuries risky. Other than cash under the mattress what is he recommending ?
wolfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

His do and don't list from Elliot Wave website:
Quote:
Don't
  • Generally speaking, don't own stocks.
  • Don't own any but the most pristine bonds.
  • Generally speaking, don't invest in real estate.
  • Generally speaking, don't buy commodities.
  • Don't invest in collectibles.
  • Don't buy goods you don't need just because they are a bargain. They will probably get cheaper.
Do
  • Invest in short-term money market instruments issued by the soundest governments.
  • Own some physical gold, silver and platinum.
  • Have some cash on hand.
  • Sell any collectibles that you own for investment purposes.
  • Make a list of things you want to buy at much lower prices when they go on "liquidation sale."
Maybe this year he will finally get that Great Depression II he's been foretelling for years now.

Quote:

MR. PRECHTER proudly marches to a different drummer. He says he is sorry that people who have listened to his advice over the last six months have had to watch from the sidelines while others prosper. “Being bearish in recent months was wrong, but I think it was prudent,” he says.
Danger is lurking, he warns, and not just in stocks, but also in bonds and commodities and other asset classes. “I have no interest in investing in any traditional financial market,” he says. “They are all dangerously over-owned, overpriced and overleveraged.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/20/yo...ey/20stra.html

Six months? Since at least 2009 as I recall, if not longer.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:33 PM   #3

Makes me think of Martin Weiss, another perma-bear.

IMHO, it's good to listen to a wide range of "financial advisers", but everyone needs to come to their own conclusions.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:04 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas
His do and don't list from Elliot Wave website:
Maybe this year he will finally get that Great Depression II he's been foretelling for years now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/20/yo...ey/20stra.html

Six months? Since at least 2009 as I recall, if not longer.
Oddly enough, my portfolio of stocks, inflation protected securities, and intermediate term bond funds shows an IRR of 24.1%, in spite of our being in withdrawal phase, and paying for law school and college for a couple of students in the family.

One of us is doing it wrong...

I'm pretty sure the Grand Supercycle Wave ABC series was supposed to wipe out over 90% of the market. One of his articles had all growth since about 1780 being retraced. Ah well, there's always next year.

No BOOM. Today...
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote