Join Early Retirement Today

Robinhood Checking and Savings at 3%
Old 12-13-2018, 04:41 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Robinhood Checking and Savings at 3%

Looks like Robinhood is paying 3% on checking and savings with no fees per
a recent ad. It doesn't start until 2019 and has 250,000 SIPC protection.

May be a good option for some cash.

https://checking.robinhood.com/

VW

Edited to correct to SIPC protection
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2018, 04:44 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good deal that a lot of people won't get. The waiting list is almost 300,000 people long...

Oh, and it's NOT FDIC protected; it's protected by SIPC.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:50 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

And this little bit might make you think a little too. How does Robinhood make money?

Quote:
Robinhood app sells user customer data to make a quick buck from the high-frequency trading (HFT) firms on Wall Street," that is what we wrote last month, in one of the first articles that expressed concern over the popular Robinhood investing app for millennials, which has shady ties to HFT firms and undermines its image of an anti-Wall Street ethos. Almost a month after our report, Bloomberg has now confirmed that more than 40% of Robinhood's revenues earlier this year were derived from selling its customers' orders to firms, like Citadel Securities and Two Sigma Securities.
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...-firms-citadel
Old 12-13-2018, 04:51 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Yeah
Quote:
Every Robinhood account is SIPC insured up to $250,000 in cash and protected by modern encryption so you can rest easy and save confidently.
SIPC is a completely different animal from FDIC, and it's not clear how well cash is protected by SIPC. Something to always take into consideration with brokerage accounts.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:27 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Robinhood doesn't plan to make money. Their business model is to become a thorn in the side of the big players who will buy them out just to get rid of them.
gstillson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:50 PM   #6

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ed/2303674002/
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:31 PM   #7

I'm #158,495 on the list
Old 12-13-2018, 06:43 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

If Robinhood went under, not sure one would receive their cash monies back.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:53 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstillson View Post
Robinhood doesn't plan to make money. Their business model is to become a thorn in the side of the big players who will buy them out just to get rid of them.
interesting.....
Old 12-13-2018, 07:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
If Robinhood went under, not sure one would receive their cash monies back.
You may not be sure, but it is a fact that one would receive their cash monies back.

https://www.sipc.org/about-sipc/introduction
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Good deal that a lot of people won't get. The waiting list is almost 300,000 people long...

Oh, and it's NOT FDIC protected; it's protected by SIPC.
1. Everybody who signs up will get the deal. How difficult do you think it is to open an account? It's not as if it's 300,000 people who have ordered a Tesla. And the list is now approaching 500,000.

2. If you have concerns about SIPC, then you might want to consider closing all of your brokerage accounts.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:45 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
1. Everybody who signs up will get the deal. How difficult do you think it is to open an account? It's not as if it's 300,000 people who have ordered a Tesla. And the list is now approaching 500,000.

2. If you have concerns about SIPC, then you might want to consider closing all of your brokerage accounts.
SIPC protection is real, but this is not the same as full faith and credit that comes with FDIC protection. I will pass.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
SIPC protection is real, but this is not the same as full faith and credit that comes with FDIC protection. I will pass.
Of course it isn't the same. Then again, neither is your car insurance, your health insurance, your homeowners insurance, your life insurance - they don't come with full faith and credit either. It is insurance provided by an insurance company and you accept that it has sufficient backing to provide the product that will protect you in the event of a loss. Not any different with SIPC.

Again, for anyone who is not comfortable with SIPC protection, you should immediately close all of your brokerage and mutual fund accounts...Fidelity and Vanguard included.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:16 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Again, for anyone who is not comfortable with SIPC protection, you should immediately close all of your brokerage and mutual fund accounts...Fidelity and Vanguard included.
SIPC protection is secondary to the firm's resources and hopefully lack of fraud with respect to your assets. We aren't talking about one of the big 3 here. We are talking about a flaky startup that is already in bed with high speed trading shops.

- George Orwell

Old 12-13-2018, 09:27 PM   #15

Per the Barron's article, the CEO of SIPC isn't excited about covering funds that aren't going to be used to purchase securities:

https://www.barrons.com/articles/rob...ks-51544723146

Quote:
“SIPC protects cash that is deposited with a brokerage firm for one limited purpose...the purpose of purchasing securities,” wrote Stephen P. Harbeck, the president and CEO of SIPC. “Cash deposited for other reasons would not be protected.”
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
SIPC protection is secondary to the firm's resources and hopefully lack of fraud with respect to your assets. We aren't talking about one of the big 3 here. We are talking about a flaky startup that is already in bed with high speed trading shops.
It may come as a surprise to you, but many (though not all) big brokerages also sell their order flow to the same high speed trading shops.

For the average retail investor, high speed trading shops have absolutely no influence with regard to the execution pricing received, and are the direct beneficiaries of reduced commissions.

Many people here, as is the case when it comes to the high speed trading shops in general, are posting misinformation.

I will bow out of this discussion, as these usually rapidly spin out of control with folks becoming extremely "passionate" about their beliefs.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
Per the Barron's article, the CEO of SIPC isn't excited about covering funds that aren't going to be used to purchase securities:

https://www.barrons.com/articles/rob...ks-51544723146
Thanks for that.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:39 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It may come as a surprise to you, but many (though not all) big brokerages also sell their order flow to the same high speed trading shops.

For the average retail investor, high speed trading shops have absolutely no influence with regard to the execution pricing received, and are the direct beneficiaries of reduced commissions.

Many people here, as is the case when it comes to the high speed trading shops in general, are posting misinformation.

I will bow out of this discussion, as these usually rapidly spin out of control with folks becoming extremely "passionate" about their beliefs.
Of course, that is the market these days. A bit at odds with this goofy shop's positioning, though.

- George Orwell

Old 12-14-2018, 09:48 AM   #19

At the top of my google news feed today:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-s-new-product

Quote:
The Securities Investor Protection Corp. said a new checking account from Robinhood Financial LLC raises red flags and that the deposited funds may not be eligible for protection.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post

From the article:
Quote:
As a broker-dealer, the company can invest your cash in Treasurys. The return they get on those investments is enough – possibly more than enough – to cover the 3 percent they pay on your checking and savings balances in your brokerage account.
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but all the Treasuries this side of 10 years pay less than 3%... and 10 years is a long time for the on-demand uses of a checking account.

One article mentioned sharing in the debit transaction fees, but those fees are usually less than 3%
I don't see where their business model works. What am I not seeing?