Join Early Retirement Today

Roll from Touchstone to Vanguard
Old 08-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Roll from Touchstone to Vanguard

Had some IRA funds in PBHG, which became Old Mutual, which became Touchstone ...series of merge and buys ...got tired of it and looked like fees were higher in each subsequent management construct.

As the first step of a larger plan, I rolled it to Vanguard with intent to use ETFs as new basis for ret...ment accounts, including partial rollover from employer 401 later this year, and then complete rollover at 59 1/2.

The Touchstone fund was categorized as a mid-cap ... I want to keep category same to maintain allocation, for now. Have lots more decisions to make later.

Lots of options ...I'm 58 and plan on another 3 years or so before IFQ (hate the ret...ment word :-)) ...good health, empty nester, will have Navy and corporate pension ...would appreciate thoughts on this initial rollover placement and any longer term discussion from job 401 rollover. BTW ...am not an active trader or timer so recognize I could be criticized for not acting to reduce fees, etc, especially in ret...ment accounts.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Since it appears you have no taxable accounts, you might as well use a Vanguard Target Retirement fund. Pick a fund "date" with the amount of fixed income or bonds that you want for your asset allocation. For example, the 2015 fund is 44% bonds.

If you want a Vanguard mid-cap fund, I think you know how to google "vanguard mid-cap fund" as well as anybody else on the forum.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I do have taxable savings. I appreciate the advice on searching mid cap funds.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you want advice on how to set up a low-expense-ratio, passively-managed tax-efficient index fund portfolio, then there is no better place to go and ask than: Bogleheads • View topic - Asking Portfolio Questions